DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying used Mavic Air

one-mp

Reactions
Hi all

I contemplate buying a Mavic Air. There are plenty of offers in the used market, but what are the issues to avoid specifically? At most these drones are one year old now, most of them still have one year warranty left (total of two years here in Europe). I could
- get one for $650 (4 batteries total) that was a demo unit (no warranty), or
- one for $600 (only drone with controller) with 1 year remaining warranty, or
- one for $800, a Fly more combo (four batteries total) also 1 year warranty left.
Or I could simply buy a
- new one for $680 (drone & controller), or
- spend $900 for a new Fly more combo (3 batteries).

BTW, all used ones seem in very good shape... A new Mavic Air battery costs $85 here.

What would you do?

BR
one-mp

Warranty law is stricter here in Europe, exclusions (like mentioned) are not permitted. From what I gathered European customers seem pretty happy about how DJI handles defects, so in practice this seems to work out pretty well.

I've owned an Air since Dec 2017 and despite a few minor crashes during my experimental phase, (not fully understanding RTH and pushing the wrong buttons at the wrong time etc.) it has come through unscathed and it still works extremely well so, if buying used, I guess it depends upon its history. If buying a used one, ask the seller to see the flight logs if you know what to look for (it might scare the seller if you do!) or ask for help reading it here. There are very clued-up people who can help you.

I dropped a battery onto concrete from a height of about 2 foot and it no longer works BTW.

In my opinion, If you're a novice, I'd buy a new one with flymore combo to ensure the guarantee is valid and also spend the money on the replacement offer, but if you're experienced pilot, that no-warranty demo with 4 batteries offer sounds good!

Not sure about Europe, but in US you can purchase the Mavic Air fly more combo for $799 from DJI. I purchased this kit and can't tell from new. Check to see if DJI offers refurbished n your country.

Before going used I would confirm the warranty is transferable. If going new make sure you dealing with an authorized reseller. Personally I would Not buy DJI direct but an authorized seller with easy return/exchange such as Amazon. That’s what me thunks

Personally I would be hesitant to buy a used drone because there is no way to tell how the batteries were treated, that I know of anyway. I am far more picky than most people though.

If you're comfortable that the batteries have been maintained absolutely flawlessly, never run down to zero, etc. then used would be OK. I just don't know how you would confirm that, otherwise you're potentially buying a ticking time bomb if even one of the batteries has been abused.

For example with my drone, I know for a fact I have done that, but I am not sure how I would prove to a prospective buyer that I have.

In your case the price difference is so minimal (relative to the risk) I wouldn't even be thinking about used, but that's just me.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Thanks for your replies! Run down batteries are a good point, they don’t like that... Refurbished is not offered here AFAIK. I will observe further as I’m in no hurry, I can always buy a new one. :)

I am in europe and a year or so back tried to claim on dealer it was under a year old. Basically they refused to do anything. Other than taking them to court....

Amazon do some good refurb deals and you can send it back if no good.

Is a warranty without DJI Care even worth having? What are typical damages and the resulting costs?

Hi all

I contemplate buying a Mavic Air. There are plenty of offers in the used market, but what are the issues to avoid specifically? At most these drones are one year old now, most of them still have one year warranty left (total of two years here in Europe). I could
- get one for $650 (4 batteries total) that was a demo unit (no warranty), or
- one for $600 (only drone with controller) with 1 year remaining warranty, or
- one for $800, a Fly more combo (four batteries total) also 1 year warranty left.
Or I could simply buy a
- new one for $680 (drone & controller), or
- spend $900 for a new Fly more combo (3 batteries).

BTW, all used ones seem in very good shape... A new Mavic Air battery costs $85 here.

What would you do?

BR
one-mp

Try Amazon Warehouse, I bought a Fly more for £600, with 12 months Amazon guarantee

I've had the FMC for a year (an early adopter) and have just over 8 hrs, spread over 45 flights.

Going with a new drone from a DJI authorized dealer is the ONLY way I would go, unless you are very familiar with the drone, and can see, and understand, the flight logs, and the price is right. You're talking about saving a relatively small amount of money, and taking considerable risk of problems down the road.

The MA seems very well built, but it has some very fragile components, that are not cheap to replace, starting with the camera/gimbal. Search on eBay for the parts and look at the prices, and add to that labor cost. I'd think twice about doing the repair yourself; be honest with yourself...this is NOT a place to start learning. YouTube has good teardown videos.

Finally, a note about where to buy. I bought my MA from Best Buy, and would strongly recommend buying from them, because of their return policy. I bought a Spark late in 2017, that developed gimbal problems within a few weeks of flying. Because of the expanded return window due to the holidays, I was still within the window and got a full refund - I explained what happened and that it had been flown. The MA was just being announced, so I waited until they got it in stock, and bought one of them. From what I've read, most places will not take it back once it has been activated, something you have to do before any flight - Best Buy did.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett