DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying used Mavic from ebay........

Chris

Reactions
Hello everyone, I used to own the mavic pro but decided to sell it some time ago I purchased the extra protection that DJI sells but never used it. Now I am wanting to get another one. I have found a good deal on a Fly-more bundle on ebay, and it is used, around a dozen flights the seller claims. If I go ahead with purchasing it, can I transfer the old DJI protection onto the new (used) aircraft after I receive it? Thanks for any help! ~Chris

If you're referring to DJI Care Refresh, it cannot be transferred. It's still active on your old Mavic.

You can still purchase DJI Care Refresh for the new Mavic here. Since the Mavic is not brand new, you'll need to make a video like this and submit it to DJI to show the Mavic is in working order.

Hopefully you were able to view the flight logs of the used one you are buying. Make sure there really are 12 flights... and that all of them ended where they started, not in a tree or pond. ;)

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Hopefully you were able to view the flight logs of the used one you are buying. Make sure there really are 12 flights... and that all of them ended where they started, not in a tree or pond. ;)

Flight logs from where? If the user didn't sync some flights, isn't that data lost?

Reactions: Rnl
Hmm interesting I didn't think about that, couldn't I find out from the data on the battery as well how many actual times it's been charged as well?

Using assistant 2 then selecting black box, doesn't that have all the flights the mavic has done?

I guess before buying it, I would have asked the user to give me screenshots from his flight record, if nothing else. Obviously in the DJI GO4 app all the data is there and if it is really "only" 12 flights it's not a time consuming task.

You're probably fine either way and I'm guessing you asked him why he was selling it so quickly. Likely was upgrading or just realized he didn't use it like he thought.

if it was me, I would never buy a used or even a new Mavic off of eBay. I have bought lots of stuff off of eBay and it isn't always as listed. Also, I think that once you register the Mavic, you can not access the old previous flight logs, and beside, it would be to late to find out that there is something wrong with the Mavic then, unless the seller would take it back and refund you money. You have to weight how much you are saving for the risk that something is wrong with it. Did seller say why he is selling. Just some food for thought.

I guess before buying it, I would have asked the user to give me screenshots from his flight record, if nothing else. Obviously in the DJI GO4 app all the data is there and if it is really "only" 12 flights it's not a time consuming task.

You're probably fine either way and I'm guessing you asked him why he was selling it so quickly. Likely was upgrading or just realized he didn't use it like he thought.

Thanks for the replies everyone! The seller has very good feedback 200+ positive so I'm not worried about him mis-representing it, and he said he didn't use it for what he thought he would......so that is what he said when I asked him why he's selling it for.....another quick question for anyone that is involved......when is everyone updating their firmware? I've heard of nightmares where people have upgraded the app, but not the aircraft and it has become inoperable....I have the newest GO4 app and am worried it won't work with the a/c when I receive it....any suggestions?

It seem that it depends weather or not you have and iOS or Android device. I have iOS devices, running most current FW, GO4 and iOS and never had a problem. Hopefully others will chime in and let you know their experiences.

.I have the newest GO4 app and am worried it won't work with the a/c when I receive it....any suggestions?

I've never had a problem What type of device are you going to use?

The issue with buying a "used" Mavic is that you likely won't have a warranty. I'd look at official refurbished units, they carry a fully warranty if purchased from an authorized dealer.

State Farm offers full coverage on the drone itself for $30-$60 year in some parts of the US, no deductible.

I will probably go with the DJI refresh as you can send in a video of it and get the full benefits from it......as far as what I'm going to be using for the device. I'll either use an iPad mini or my galaxy S8+. Thoughts?

yea chris the new firmware is fine. no problems lately. just remenber the new one will give you flight restrictions, all you have to do is sign in and sign out of the Go4 app with your DJI password and youll be alset. i use and ipad mini. BUT be realy realy careful buying on ebay, like probably just dont do it lol. Yes it saves you what 2 or 3 hundred if youre lucky. but the odds of you ending up in a repairshop with-in a month or 2 with repair bills starting at 200 is much much higher. If you do need a good repair shop let me know i know a few lol

when is everyone updating their firmware? I've heard of nightmares where people have upgraded the app, but not the aircraft and it has become inoperable....I have the newest GO4 app and am worried it won't work with the a/c when I receive it....any suggestions?

You do not need to update your firmware to operate the Mavic, even if you are using the newest version of the DJI Go app. DJI will look like it is insisting that you update the firmware, but you can simply ignore the message and close the box if you wish. Many of us still fly with older firmware versions quite happily (typically .700 or .400), and yet use the latest version of the DJI Go app. Others (like me) also use older versions of the Go app, but that's optional as well. Do a search on this forum for tons of opinions on which firmware version is the best/worst, and make your own call.

and remember. up date the aircraft first them the RC. if it tell you "slide for update, inconsistent firmware" on the main page of the app do that first. then the aircraft and last the RC.

......as far as what I'm going to be using for the device. I'll either use an iPad mini or my galaxy S8+. Thoughts?

DJI supports iOs first, then Android is the bastard child and gets all the improvements/fixes/updates second. Most people feel that the iOs version of the app is rock-solid. Android has had many versions that have had crash problems. Those issues seem to be resolved in the latest versions of the app. Many people are happy using their S8+'s, though probably many more folks are quite content with their iPads. I have a S8+ and all my other devices are Android too, except one - the iPad that I have dedicated to flying my Mavics.

You do not need to update your firmware to operate the Mavic, even if you are using the newest version of the DJI Go app. DJI will look like it is insisting that you update the firmware, but you can simply ignore the message and close the box if you wish. Many of us still fly with older firmware versions quite happily (typically .700 or .400), and yet use the latest version of the DJI Go app. Others (like me) also use older versions of the Go app, but that's optional as well. Do a search on this forum for tons of opinions on which firmware version is the best/worst, and make your own call.
I'm backed down to .400 when you still could, and have not updated the firmware or the iOS app since.
Are there any reasons to update the app? Are there more app specific features worth getting?

Do what I did buy a crashed one which was half the price of a secondhand one and a 3rd of the price of a new one cost me £90 to repair it which meant it was still £300 cheaper than a secondhand one

Some people lie about crashes and stuff when selling them

Its like when people sell cars its "one careful elderly lady owner well looked after" as people like to think that a car they are about to buy has never been thrashed and bounced off the limiter for ever gear change

I'm backed down to .400 when you still could, and have not updated the firmware or the iOS app since.
Are there any reasons to update the app? Are there more app specific features worth getting?

Reasons to go up to most current FW (4.000): You want the new DJI Go app Quickshot modes (Dronie, etc); You need Dynamic Home Point for your Active Track mode; You need to feel "current"; You don't mind new potential bugs/problems introduced by firmware changes.

Reasons to move up to 3.700: You need support for the DJI Goggles; You want to use Fixed-Wing mode; You want to use Dual Remote Controller; You want to be able to turn off the remote controller low battery level warning; You don't want to have to remain logged in to your DJI account in order to fly.

Reasons to stay at 3.400: Your Mavic works perfectly fine and you don't need/want the newest app functions; You don't want to be restricted by NFZs, You want to change your Mavic's flight parameters at will; You don't like DJI controlling the abilities of your Mavic.

Also, the features of .400 are included in the features of .700, but with the added features of .700 on top of them. Personally, I don't need/want the new Quickshot modes so I have one Mavic on .400 and one on .700 (to use with the Goggles).

The app is not the big difference. It's the firmware. Even with an updated app, you don't have the new features without the firmware update. Even with the new app, you don't have the restrictions of the newest firmware, though you get warnings. There's been no real beneficial upgrades to the newer app versions (without the concurrent firmware upgrades), though there have been a number of decent tweaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightbg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie