DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bye Bye Mavic - How to lose it in 5 easy steps... (and how not to)

Ian in London

Reactions
Hello all
Well, after a few months of fun, I managed to completely lose my new toy, meaning I couldn't even claim on DJI Refresh.

Lost it whilst flying down near Dover, UK, by managing to convince myself it was being blown backwards out to sea by the wind. Funny how one simple error can compound itself and steer your mind into making further mistakes as the panic slowly increases. End result: completely lost and truly unlikkely ever to be found by anyone...

Anyway, I made a video using the streamed footage and flight data. After flying for over 18 months I'd have liked to think I was experienced enough not to make any of these mistakes. But I did, so I guess others could too. Here they are, in all their glory, so hopefully someone, somewhere, won't do the same!

Cheers,

Ian

Just started watching the video. I didn't realize it crashed into a mountain. That's rough. Sorry to hear.

Just started watching the video. I didn't realize it crashed into a mountain. That's rough. Sorry to hear.
I'll be honest, your drone probably didn't crash into the mountains. There may still be hope in recovering the drone. Would you like to share your flight log.

Also Sport mode may radically increase battery usage and cut your flight time in half, it will also allow you to travel further in less than half the time it takes for the drone reach in P-mode.

Watching now, but first thanks for posting this Ian - it's learning from each others mistakes that helps us stay safe. Hope you get a new mavic soon or have already got one.

Condolences on your bird lost...

But I'm curious about something, is it ok if I ask for a certain detail that is bugging me?

OK I watched it - that's an interesting gotcha with the signal loss during a remote landing - are you sure that during an autoland it won't RTH when it loses signal? Certainly if I ever have to land somewhere away from me like that I'll use the automatic landing having seen your video as it at least has a chance it doesn't revert to an RTH when it drops below line of sight, but I'm just wondering if anyone has tested and can say for sure.

OK I watched it - that's an interesting gotcha with the signal loss during a remote landing - are you sure that during an autoland it won't RTH when it loses signal? Certainly if I ever have to land somewhere away from me like that I'll use the automatic landing having seen your video as it at least has a chance it doesn't revert to an RTH when it drops below line of sight, but I'm just wondering if anyone has tested and can say for sure.

Actually, what I wanted to ask was this...

He says he manual landed at the spot and held the stick down for 3 seconds, that should have stopped the props. What bug me is, I think he says that even after all this, when there is a signal loss, the MP booted back up and attempted a RTH...

This is a bit worrisome... and I am tempted to test this....

Ian, that was a great video. Thanks for sharing. Sorry for your loss. Maybe add another lesson learned - attach a GPS tracker of Marco Polo to your Mavic. That may have helped you find it. I liked how, when you realized you weren't going to make it back, you started looking for a known place to safely put it down immediately. One thing I don't understand - when you set it down in the park, I'm assuming that you cut the motors. How then did it restart, take off again and RTH, all after signal loss?

Last edited:
He certainly didn't actually cut the motors, either by just not holding the stick down long enough, or the Mavic actually lost signal right when it touched the ground (reception will significantly drop the instant the antennas arrive on the ground, especially wet grass) so that the stick down command never reached it before it started signal loss RTH.

Posting the log could confirm that, since the RTH attempt was logged one should see any signal loss jsut before it starts.

I'm pretty sure that if the mavic lands and the motors stop it stays disarmed.

Bummer though Ian :(

Hello all
Well, after a few months of fun, I managed to completely lose my new toy, meaning I couldn't even claim on DJI Refresh.

Lost it whilst flying down near Dover, UK, by managing to convince myself it was being blown backwards out to sea by the wind. Funny how one simple error can compound itself and steer your mind into making further mistakes as the panic slowly increases. End result: completely lost and truly unlikkely ever to be found by anyone...

Anyway, I made a video using the streamed footage and flight data. After flying for over 18 months I'd have liked to think I was experienced enough not to make any of these mistakes. But I did, so I guess others could too. Here they are, in all their glory, so hopefully someone, somewhere, won't do the same!

Cheers,

Ian

Sad stuff. Classic "chain of errors". Please post the .TXT.

Note that in RTH if the battery runs down the MP should land, not fall. I wonder if, once in the park if you had done the CSC shutdown "aka emergency shutdown" if the motors would stay off. I'd hope so. As others note - once in the grass, or that low and far, reception would not be great.

This is also a reason why I've skinned my drones orange. Easier to find in the bush. I'd go back. Round up some local lads with a 50 pound reward for whoever finds it.

Hmm, autumn might be a bit harder...

Reactions: jasman
I did test this. If the drone is just idling on the ground and it disconnects. The motors switch off.

I did test this. If the drone is just idling on the ground and it disconnects. The motors switch off.
That bears me to think if could be a setting option in a future firmware update. Allowing you to choose if it in idle stays there and cut off the engines or take off and RTH.

He claims to have seen the grass in the monitor up close - but could it be it wasn't really on the ground?

I'll test tomorrow with the P4P.
It probably didn't touch down all the way. The thing is if it really just takes off on a disconnect, I would have had a serious problem as I decided to idle my engines one day to do a battery cycle to recalibrate it, but decided I didn't really need the RC so I turned it off. The motors turned off 3 seconds later. If it really did try to RTH, I would have had a serious problem, as I was indoor and well, you know...

Reactions: stresspro
Ian,
Totally gutted for you fella, and thanks for taking time to share your experience with others, to highlight some simple but extremely costly errors,
I think this is a classic case for having a GPS device on your Mavic,
Definitely worth posting a listing on Kent's Gumtree or Shpock under lost and found, to see if it gets found.

Good luck mate,

Thanks for posting. Sorry for your loss. What a great video for everyone to learn from though. Thank you for taking the time to help out your fellow pilots.

Hello all

Cheers,

Ian

sorry for your lost!

but thanks for sharing your story! i hope you will get an other mavic, and i will can watch your videos on youtube!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent