DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA Drone Registration

eckydrone200

Reactions
The CAA drone registration site is now live but you are still unable to register, it does link you to updated version of the Dronecode though. It will be interesting to see if the site is overwhelmed with owners clamouring to register in the first few days. ?

Which country does this relate to?

Links, More info.....

Some mainstream media coverage from the BBC here.

It also remains to be seen how well the CAA is going to publicise this. They have basically given UK pilots 25 days to get into compliance with the law, and as yet have so far made no real efforts to reach out to casual pilots who don't frequent sites such as this. If, as I suspect, that's the majority of pilots this might not bode well for this scheme getting a high percentage take-up rate...

FYI, the site has *just* gone live while I was typing, although I note that it still has a "Beta" sticker on it. I think I'm going to hold off a bit on registering in case there are any "teething problems"...

Since it's totally unenforceable I suspect the majority won't bother.
I can't think of single flight where I might have felt there was any chance of being asked to show some kind of qualifications to be there.

Same here, and that's my experience with flying too. I've checked whether it's OK to fly at things like park offices on occassion, but other than that I don't recall a single instance where I've seen someone official who might have cared while I was flying, either in the UK or overseas. That's not helped by multiple people in the recent hearings acknowledging that the police are only likely to challenge a pilot if they have reason to suspect a breach of the Drone Code - and that's assuming they even recognise a breach when they see one.

I am definitely NOT expecting this to have a high-percentage take-up, especially given the way the CAA and Government hasn't publicised this new requirement so far. Unless the plan is for a media blitz now the site is live, I just don't see how they are going to reach out to all the more casual fliers with drones. Factor in those who feel the risk of getting caught is so low registering is just not worth bothering with, plus that those fully intending to fly illegally definitely won't register, and you don't exactly have a recipe for success, IMHO.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I've just registered - mostly out of curiosity. Annoyingly they start your registration immediately rather than the date the requirement to register comes into force (30th of Nov). Silly me.

Same here, and that's my experience with flying too. I've checked whether it's OK to fly at things like park offices on occassion, but other than that I don't recall a single instance where I've seen someone official who might have cared while I was flying, either in the UK or overseas. That's not helped by multiple people in the recent hearings acknowledging that the police are only likely to challenge a pilot if they have reason to suspect a breach of the Drone Code - and that's assuming they even recognise a breach when they see one.

I am definitely NOT expecting this to have a high-percentage take-up, especially given the way the CAA and Government hasn't publicised this new requirement so far. Unless the plan is for a media blitz now the site is live, I just don't see how they are going to reach out to all the more casual fliers with drones. Factor in those who feel the risk of getting caught is so low registering is just not worth bothering with, plus that those fully intending to fly illegally definitely won't register, and you don't exactly have a recipe for success, IMHO.

My car got broken into in April and I stupidly left my wallet in there. I got text alerts from my credit card company telling me where the thieves had tried to use my cards. I went to the shops and asked if they had footage - they did. I told the Police, and they got the footage, but still, no charges were made. Unfortunately, the Police have been cut to the bare minimum and can't investigate actual crimes where people are hurt or suffer serious consequences. So, I highly doubt they're going to bother chasing a drone for flying over a field.

Just registered too, but I'm bewildered as to why they need to give two different registration references: a Flyer ID and an Operator ID. Is this just bureaucracy gone crazy again? Good old CAA.

Just registered too, but I'm bewildered as to why they need to give two different registration references: a Flyer ID and an Operator ID. Is this just bureaucracy gone crazy again? Good old CAA.

It is to handle business situations where a company employs several drone pilots. The company is the operator and each pilot has a separate flyer ID. Though you have to think that such situations will be rare compared to the leisure users.

The CAA drone registration site is now live but you are still unable to register, it does link you to updated version of the Dronecode though. It will be interesting to see if the site is overwhelmed with owners clamouring to register in the first few days. ?
Registered this morning after completing the theory test. Straightforward with no problems. Operater I.D. now labelled on my Mavic Air ?

Registered this morning - takes 15 minutes! Do it!

Reactions: Lastrexking
I logged on today at 12.00 hrs and by 12.15 I had my owner and flyer ID with a 20 out of 20 pass. Go on give it a go !!???

Reactions: charliej

I feel it's more for show than anything else particularly in light of the Gatwick drone affair. People were frequently complaining that there needs to be a tightening of the drone laws seemingly oblivious of the fact that the flights (if there even was a drone) were completely illegal under existing rules anyway.

I've registered myself anyway and wondering the best way to label my Mavic Pro 1 and 2, I was thinking under the battery as that keeps it out of the elements. I'm not au fait with label technology so wondering is there a recommended type which is easily removable but won't come off itself?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag