DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA Registration

Irvine

Reactions
Hello I have just watched the local news the item was about drone pilots not being registered. Having done the test at a cost of £9.00 I got this card from eBay. The fine is £1000 for owners not having registration. I have enclosed a photo of a card I got from eBay for just over £7.00.

Please observe CAA rules and for those who still have to take the test please do it. Irvine(PortsmouthUK)

Attachments

• A2BBDF50-9DCA-4CB4-8FE7-1232D5867A49.jpeg
    A2BBDF50-9DCA-4CB4-8FE7-1232D5867A49.jpeg
    601.8 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: old man mavic
This looks useful !!!! I made my own but it looks just that - home made - but this should impress the plod should they want to check validation. I agree with @pross - a link would be most helpful

@Irvine that's a good post my friend ,i have been surprised by the lack of media publicity about the new registration and test, that came into force on Dec 1st ,i think it was down to the election process ,which was all anyone was talking about,i think there should be a CAA campane to inform drone flyers of the new rules or maybe the government thinks it is us who should find out about it , i dont think people realise it is law and that fines do exist for none compliance

Reactions: Irvine
@Irvine that's a good post my friend ,i have been surprised by the lack of media publicity about the new registration and test, that came into force on Dec 1st ,i think it was down to the election process ,which was all anyone was talking about,i think there should be a CAA campane to inform drone flyers of the new rules or maybe the government thinks it is us who should find out about it , i dont think people realise it is law and that fines do exist for none compliance
I have seen something in the papers about "Drone flyers face a £1000 fine" but not a sensible full article on the issue. I believe the gov are leaving it up to flyers to take the responsibility, which is fair enough I guess. In my area you never see a constable BUT if they believe this could be an easy pull, having a card will help greatly ( but I doubt they will understand what it actually says re the CAA ). I carry my own version, plus my FPV Insurance certificate but I will definitely order one of these. I see on eBay there are several types, some more accurate than others in that there are 2 different expiry dates for operator id and Flyer id. £7 doesn't seem too much to keep the paperwork 100% accurate.
That IS some link !!!! :) - perhaps if others just type in something like " CAA Drone pilot card" it should take you to the list of suppliers.

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea, as the CAA doesn't issue any form of 'certificate' like the FAA and TC, but just an email of confirmation.

i downloaded mine from the CAA site and then printed it out and laminated it, i did the same with my FPV UK membership details and insurance cover

Reactions: Irvine and Thomas B
Nice looking card; despite having laminated my own I might get a couple myself. Why the CAA couldn't issue something like these formally so everyone has the same card though I still don't understand; it's not as if the card printers are that expensive in the scheme of things (£500 or so, plus consumables) - a drop in the ocean given they wanted ~£1m to run the database, IIRC.

Very much agree with Old Man Mavic on the publicity too; the efforts to raise awareness of the requirement to register has been nothing short of abysmal. Sure, ignorance of the law is no defense, but they are extracting the urine on this one. I've not seen a single official ad or notice *anywhere*; they're relying entirely on clubs, forums and other media coverage to get the word out, so I suspect take-up amongst casual pilots that don't belong to a club or frequent forums like this one is going to be right around zero.

P.S. Re. the URL, eBay - like Amazon, Google, etc. - puts a *LOT* of tracking info in there. With a little trial and error you can usually strip them all right back to the first or second "?" in the URL, viz:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALG-ID-Cards-Custom-CAA-Recreational-Drone-and-Model-Aircraft-Pilot-ID-Card/283681751428

Keep in mind however, that the CAA reg's say you need ONLY show the OP reg' number on your drone. There is no requirement to carry additional documentation ...
I do agree with comments above though, in that it is useful to have a copy of the Dronecode leaflet to show any passers-by that have questions about the rules you fly under, and it's also useful to have your insurance details too.

Keep in mind however, that the CAA reg's say you need ONLY show the OP reg' number on your drone. There is no requirement to carry additional documentation ...

Not quite. You also need to be able to provide your Flyer Number on request to the police, etc., so they can check you've passed the competency test, which is particularly relevant when the Flyer is not the Operator (e.g. an employee of a commercial venture, or just another family member) and the Operator is not present.

True, that could be done via a memo on your phone, copy of the email, sticker on the drone, scrawled on a post-it, or even just memorising it rather than a printed card though.

I found the following on eBay ( 100% positive comments and a genuine printing company ) which is more accurate in that the 2 expiry dates are different for Flyer & Operator. It also uses a photo which I find very much more "official". This company also asks for evidence via the CAA email which shows/confirms the codes and dates. I have ordered one for the UK, as in my other home in Thailand a photo ID is 100% essential to avoid fines and drone confiscation. Im not one of the nay-sayers who see conspiracy in everything - if its a requirement its way too risky ( for me ) to fly illegally these days - I want to enjoy my flying not be looking over my shoulder all the time.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 17
Not quite. You also need to be able to provide your Flyer Number on request to the police, etc., so they can check you've passed the competency test, which is particularly relevant when the Flyer is not the Operator (e.g. an employee of a commercial venture, or just another family member) and the Operator is not present.

True, that could be done via a memo on your phone, copy of the email, sticker on the drone, scrawled on a post-it, or even just memorising it rather than a printed card though.
I'm not going to contest that @zocalo - but where did you find that piece of the legislature?
The CAA don't appear to make it clear about what you have to produce if asked by relevant authorities (past displaying the OP number on the aircraft).

even if you have the operator id displayed on your drone,you still need the flyer id if you are the one flying it, and when challenged by a police officer you must produce it so you do need to carry it in some form or other when you are flying,i just decided it was just as easy to stick both numbers on my drones

Reactions: paul242
I'm not going to contest that @zocalo - but where did you find that piece of the legislature?
The CAA don't appear to make it clear about what you have to produce if asked by relevant authorities (past displaying the OP number on the aircraft).

No, they don't. It is, however, the only scenario that would make sense if someone who had passed the competency test was flying a drone without the registered operator present in order to avoid unnecessary aggravation - not generally a good idea when the police are involved. If that individual is challenged by the police, to ensure full legal compliance a suitably informed member of the police would need to establish:
  1. Whether the Operator ID is correctly displayed on the drone
  2. Whether the Operator ID is valid
  3. Whether the pilot has passed the competency test
  4. (Potentially) whether the pilot is authorised to fly the drone by the Operator
Buried in the CAA's blurb is the fact that the first two can be achieved by contacting the CAA (no online apps yet) and passing on the Operator ID, and a cross-check could also be made by asking the flyer to confirm the details provided by the CAA. The CAA should also be able to confirm the third on the same call *IF* the pilot can provide their Flyer ID, which in most cases should be sufficient - there's probably either going to be a friendly "fly safe", caution, or an arrest at that point. If one of the latter two, then contacting the Operator can happen whenever.

If the Flyer ID isn't available, then that's going to involve the Police calling the Operator to confirm the pilot is authorised and competent, e.g. additional hassle for the police officer, and less likelihood of getting away with a verbal warning if there was a potential breach of the law.

Another job for the police. Be interesting to hear of anyone getting challenged! Much easier to challenge drivers of cars!!!!!!!

Another job for the police. Be interesting to hear of anyone getting challenged! Much easier to challenge drivers of cars!!!!!!!
its only going to happen if people do stupid things with their drone ,but if you are flying legally and someone objects and called the police,then you will need to be seen to be complying with the regulations if a police officer turns up to question you about it,as we already know the possible penalties for none compliance

I found the following on eBay ( 100% positive comments and a genuine printing company ) which is more accurate in that the 2 expiry dates are different for Flyer & Operator. It also uses a photo which I find very much more "official". This company also asks for evidence via the CAA email which shows/confirms the codes and dates. I have ordered one for the UK, as in my other home in Thailand a photo ID is 100% essential to avoid fines and drone confiscation. Im not one of the nay-sayers who see conspiracy in everything - if its a requirement its way too risky ( for me ) to fly illegally these days - I want to enjoy my flying not be looking over my shoulder all the time.
Hello where did you get yours from like the idea of the photo.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada