DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CABS - Cheap....Base Station UPDATE

lightbg

Reactions
Having recently gotten an F T Aviator stick I realized that it has to be connected to the DJI transmitter to work. Between trying to find enough lanyards for all this stuff I also fly with an iPad mini, which just loads things up more. My neck is screaming "Enough", so I needed an alternative.

Being a lifetime musician I've collected a ton of equipment. A little imagination brought about the "CABS".

A simple folding base mic stand with a stereo mic adapter acts as the base for the stick and the iPad holder. I need another mic tray for the DJI radio, but a 2" spring clamp and some rubber bands substituted nicely.

414255942.jpg

Setup takes about 5 minutes. Since the stand is adjustable I can stand or sit comfortably.

414255940.jpg

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but for me it's better than carrying around all that weight and risk having my knuckles drag the ground.

414255941.jpg

Jake

Interesting set up

Cool idea. Are you left handed or is the controller only made to be operated by the left hand?

Cool idea. Are you left handed or is the controller only made to be operated by the left hand?
Actually I'm a righty. The reason for the stick on the left is because the right hand controls all flight parameters and the left hand is used on the base of the FT for camera control. With the stick on the right side my left arm blocks most of the display, so I found this easier to use.
The support arm from Fluidity Tech is made to mount either side, but the weight of the iPad and my adapted mount was precarious, which was why went with a separate stand.

Reactions: BigAl07
Madness it needs the DJI controller as well. And I thought it was a cool product.....
The simple truth of the matter is that Fluidity Tech considers the DJI tx. to be almost bulletproof for secure flight. The FT is just a controller layover. In fact the DJI tx. display actually reads "Joystick" when the FT is engaged.

Jake

Reactions: PURSUER01
The simple truth of the matter is that Fluidity Tech considers the DJI tx. to be almost bulletproof for secure flight. The FT is just a controller layover. In fact the DJI tx. display actually reads "Joystick" when the FT is engaged.

Jake
Curious as to what an astronaut would bring to the development of this joystick. Is that just a marketing gimmick?

Cleaned up my base station with a new tray. Had a lot of contact with Fluidity Tech about warning messages and unable to land and power down. Still some software bugs to be ironed out, but the stick is amazing.

First test flight this morning with the downward sensors turned off (courtesy of my Nest doorbell):

Landing enabled

Jake

Curious as to what an astronaut would bring to the development of this joystick. Is that just a marketing gimmick?
As I recall, he operated the Canada Arm installed on the space shuttle and apparently wanted to bring a similar control system to modern drones, as he thought they would be superior to a normal controller.

Can anyone confirm a material gain in the change of the controller?
One aspect I'm curious about is complete control of flight movement with the right hand (I suspect this can be reversed), and camera control with the left hand
Another member posted here about his experience liking it to helicopter controls. I would agree. Even though I pedestal mount mine I still keep both hands on the stick. RH thumb and trigger finger = collective, or throttle. 4 way stick = same as the DJI right stick. Twisting motion induces yaw, or rudder.
LH on the base would control camera pan up/down with index finger on the front of the base. There is a programmable button on the right of the base, a click wheel on top, and a 5 position dial for speed.

If you look at my above post and click the link on “landing enabled” you’ll see my hand position. Even though I’m right handed, I think reversing hands would not be difficult.

Jake

Another member posted here about his experience liking it to helicopter controls. I would agree. Even though I pedestal mount mine I still keep both hands on the stick. RH thumb and trigger finger = collective, or throttle. 4 way stick = same as the DJI right stick. Twisting motion induces yaw, or rudder.
LH on the base would control camera pan up/down with index finger on the front of the base. There is a programmable button on the right of the base, a click wheel on top, and a 5 position dial for speed.

If you look at my above post and click the link on “landing enabled” you’ll see my hand position. Even though I’m right handed, I think reversing hands would not be difficult.

Jake
thanks. I saw that after asking my question. I have since deleted the question.

If it's an improvement; especially dedicating the camera to one hand and all flight movement with the other, I will be interested in the controller

Regards

Reactions: WAXMAN

Jake
looks good; especially the pedestal.

How long did the change take to get use to?
Do you have more fine control over drone movements?
Do you have more fine control over the camera?

looks good; especially the pedestal.

How long did the change take to get use to?
Do you have more fine control over drone movements?
Do you have more fine control over the camera?

1 The changeover is completely natural and intuitive. If you have real life heli experience you'll love this. Even if you've flown Microsoft Flight Sim with a joystick it's a carbon copy. Very easy transition.

2 Controls are proportional; squeeze harder or push harder and you get full response (depending on your 1 - 5 dial setting). Push gently and you get a softer rate.

3 Camera tilt is on a rocker switch on the front of the base. It is also proportional. Plus there is a rate setting (1-5) on screen. Other parameters can be adjusted by using the click dial on top of the base.

Overall a very well thought out piece of hardware.

Jake

1 The changeover is completely natural and intuitive. If you have real life heli experience you'll love this. Even if you've flown Microsoft Flight Sim with a joystick it's a carbon copy. Very easy transition.

2 Controls are proportional; squeeze harder or push harder and you get full response (depending on your 1 - 5 dial setting). Push gently and you get a softer rate.

3 Camera tilt is on a rocker switch on the front of the base. It is also proportional. Plus there is a rate setting (1-5) on screen. Other parameters can be adjusted by using the click dial on top of the base.

Overall a very well thought out piece of hardware.

Jake
thank you

I like the looks of your setup and would like to duplicate it. Any chance you could post a "parts" list and where to buy the elements. I have a samsung tab a with android 8 on it (apparently the minimum OS for the FT) and am searching for an affordable android 8 or 9 dedicated samsung phone (since they seem to be the most common.) thanks, Rob

I like the looks of your setup and would like to duplicate it. Any chance you could post a "parts" list and where to buy the elements. I have a samsung tab a with android 8 on it (apparently the minimum OS for the FT) and am searching for an affordable android 8 or 9 dedicated samsung phone (since they seem to be the most common.) thanks, Rob
Here ya go:

Mic Stand

Mic Tray

iPad Holder

Mic stand Adapter for Camera

Hope this helps.

Jake

It definitely helps! The stuff isn't that expensive and will eliminate a lot of my PITA juggling. Now It'll make a lot easier to use my tablet. Thanks, Rob

It definitely helps! The stuff isn't that expensive and will eliminate a lot of my PITA juggling. Now It'll make a lot easier to use my tablet. Thanks, Rob
Glad it was informative. You could probably walk into a local Guitar Center and source all of it in one shot. Except for the tray I already had this, so I just repurposed it .

Jake

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000