DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cache to SD - 1280X720 - Won't play on computer

56_kruiser

Reactions
I found myself wanting to do a capture with the drone, and no SD card installed. But I though, heck, I can just turn on it writing to the SD card.

It captured, and it plays on the phone. But when I copy them to my computer, they won't play. Won't load into Videostudio either.

I wonder what I need to do to get them working.

Similar question here. How do we get the photos or videos to go directly onto the iPhone or Ipad mini without having to use the SD card and card reader?

To answer my own question: I uploaded one to Youtube, downloaded it, and I can now play it. Interesting.

Similar question here. How do we get the photos or videos to go directly onto the iPhone or Ipad mini without having to use the SD card and card reader?

Are you speaking of the i(whatever) that you are controlling the drone with?

In my case, in Go4, I went into settings, and advanced (I think it was) and selected 'Cache to SD card'. It wrote directly to the card. It had me choose a location. I'll have to investigate the resolution...I was surprised it wrote in 1280X720. My phone is capable of 4K.

I am using an iPad mini 4 and running DJI Ground Station Pro

I'm not an Apple techie, but if you can elaborate on what you are specifically trying to accomplish, I may be able to offer something. I gather my reply didn't answer your issue.

I was surprised it wrote in 1280X720. My phone is capable of 4K.

Cache is not supposed to be 4K. Cache is simply a copy of your FPV video feed. It is 720p. However, it is not a downsampled copy of the drone's video - for example, if RC signal becomes weak, your FPV (and cache) will be blocky, low res, even monochrome; while the video recorded on Mavic at the same time will be full-res and defect-free.

Reactions: Madman44k
I want the pictures to be stored automatically in the iPad mini 4 so I do not have to pull the SD card out of the drone and transfer them to either the iPad or a computer. I am not sure there is a setting in DJI GS Pro like you have in Go4???

Cache is not supposed to be 4K. Cache is simply a copy of your FPV video feed. It is 720p. However, it is not a downsampled copy of the drone's video - for example, if RC signal becomes weak, your FPV (and cache) will be blocky, low res, even monochrome; while the video recorded on Mavic at the same time will be full-res and defect-free.

Thanks. For my purpose 720 is fine. But I find it interesting that I had to load it to Youtube to have it do some kind of conversion and download it back to my PC.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I want the pictures to be stored automatically in the iPad mini 4 so I do not have to pull the SD card out of the drone and transfer them to either the iPad or a computer. I am not sure there is a setting in DJI GS Pro like you have in Go4???

I can't help you then. Gs Pro isn't available for Android, so I haven't worked with it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Yes, it is MP4.

I was thinking that too. I tried it with WMP, whatever the default player is in Windows 10, and Videostudio, which wouldn't even load it.

I don't know what the DJI app would be using to write it.

I was thinking I had copied some over before, but must not have.

You have an SD card on your iphone?! :eek:
You seem to have under interpreted my question so I’ll make it more clear.

When using the camera on the drone and your iPhone is connected to the controller, can you cache the image to the sd card in the drone AND download it to the iPhone photo library simultaneously?

Working with the app this afternoon (not connected to the controller), I’ve found you can go to the editor, select the photo/video you want and then download it directly to the phone photo library. This accomplishes my goal of not having to pull the sd card to get selected drone images on my phone.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
When using the camera on the drone and your iPhone is connected to the controller, can you cache the image to the sd card in the drone AND download it to the iPhone photo library simultaneously?

"Caching to SD card" is a feature for those devices that have an SD card, it's not caching to the drone's SD card!

Working with the app this afternoon (not connected to the controller), I’ve found you can go to the editor, select the photo/video you want and then download it directly to the phone photo library. This accomplishes my goal of not having to pull the sd card to get selected drone images on my phone.

This way you get video from cache, not from the drone. I might be wrong, but I think it's 720p only.

"Caching to SD card" is a feature for those devices that have an SD card, it's not caching to the drone's SD card!

This way you get video from cache, not from the drone. I might be wrong, but I think it's 720p only.

Yes, 720 only. I did it yesterday. Interestingly I found that it would not play on my computer, and Videostudio would not recognize it. I ended up loading into YouTube, then downloading for my computer to be able to play it.

Have you tried using VLC player to play the video?

No. But even if that played it, it wouldn't help. I was wanting to do some editing in Visualstudio which wouldn't even recognize them as a compatible file. I don't plan t use the cached file that often, so hopefully it won't be an issue. But it is strange.

No. But even if that played it, it wouldn't help. I was wanting to do some editing in Visualstudio which wouldn't even recognize them as a compatible file. I don't plan t use the cached file that often, so hopefully it won't be an issue. But it is strange.

HandBrake: Downloads

install this app. I have it on my Mac and I have never used a better app for converting any video to whatever format you like.

HandBrake: Downloads

install this app. I have it on my Mac and I have never used a better app for converting any video to whatever format you like.

Thanks. I actually have that installed but forgot about it.

I'll have to play with that and see if it tells me what it is,. Given it is an mp4, this issue surprises me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus