DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

cache video when not actually recording

hendersg

Reactions
Hi All
I was watching a youtube video where the narrator was trying to get a mini 2 home after a long flight and he said he turned off recording to the SD card to save battery but kept it caching to his phone to assist if it fell short or was picked up by a passer by. On mine the phone only caches video while actually recording to the SD card
Is there a way to constantly record video to the cache for the entire fight regardless of what actually being recorded to the SD card?

Reactions: A.O.
Use the phone's built in screen recording facility or an add-on app if yours doesn't have one.

Not recording doesn't save battery in any meaningful way either.

Reactions: Thomas B
Use the phone's built in screen recording facility or an add-on app if yours doesn't have one.

Not recording doesn't save battery in any meaningful way either.
That was my understanding but the poster of the video clearly suggested you could still spool a video stream to the cache even although you weren't actually recording at the time. Given that he also doesn't understand how the attitude display works and complains it leans one way when flying away in a straight line and the other way when returning I'll just put it down to him not knowing as much as he thinks he does.

Reactions: Kilrah
The only way you can make it record on phone only is by removing the card in the aircraft, but it's kinda hard to do in flight...

So yeah, guess he just pressed the record button in the app instead fo the RC and assumed that would only record on the phone.

He must have been using a screen recorder since the cache in the tablet definitely doesn't save anything if you aren't recording. I learned this painful lesson this weekend when I flew over sharks and rays for an entire battery and forgot to hit record when taking off. I ripped the tablet apart searching for some low res version... I wish an option existed to always record when in flight mode, period. Even if it got small gaps in the video when you took a picture like a Canon camcorder I have does.

• Sad
Reactions: NG Wildman
He must have been using a screen recorder since the cache in the tablet definitely doesn't save anything if you aren't recording. I learned this painful lesson this weekend when I flew over sharks and rays for an entire battery and forgot to hit record when taking off. I ripped the tablet apart searching for some low res version... I wish an option existed to always record when in flight mode, period. Even if it got small gaps in the video when you took a picture like a Canon camcorder I have does.
I know it does nothing for you now, but I always start recording just before take-off.
I have stopped video for some pics (just for ease of accessing when I am done) and then forgotten to switch modes and start recording again. When flying in lower light, the pics come out better in picture mode than video for a nice still. I will undoubtedly forget to switch again, however, maybe that's just because I am getting older now.
One thing I forgot to do a lot in the past was to stop recording when I land and then I would get an 'unable to open' message while attempting to download my data. There was a useful post here where it was suggested to put the sd card back in the RC and power up. I have done that several times and when I start the video and then stop it. I can download all video and pics later. Great advice too.

Last edited:
I'm just envisioning you literally pulling the tablet apart, hoping to find a file sitting on top of the board.[emoji1]

• Haha
Reactions: ThemadScientist
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3