DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration Dance Fail + Sensor Fail = Divorce!

Skyfall-0D2

Reactions
Hello Angels,
I am an experienced pilot (ret) & Karma pilot. I decided to buy a DJI for 2 reasons:
1/. So I know that it will work every time I switch it on.
2/. So I don't need a donkey to carry it up a hill for me!

I have had the Mavic 2 Pro for 2 weeks, but spent 2 days in various locations trying to calibrate the sensors & compass.
• When I try to calibrate the sensors, on step 2, it doesn't go any further and hangs. Ive waited as long as 30 minutes.
• When doing the GPS sideways dance, it always fails.

• There's no restricted airspace
• The software is up to date in the controller and UAV
• The locations I've tried have been 6 & 7.2 miles from the nearest electrical station, sub-station or mast. Even the nearest village has been more than 5 miles away (I live in the Scottish Highlands).
• The KPI has been 1 & 2 respectively

So in the interest of my marriage, I need your assistance, since if I'm not out the house more, there's going to be a divorce and those are very expensive! I could even loose my drone‼‼

Many thanks for your time ?

Last edited:
Trying to figure out why a two week old MP2 would need what you describe. Did you get some form of message that says to do all this?
The “sensors” are being done out in the field?

Lovely part of the World, outside of midge season!

Is it the compass calibration you’re having issues with?

I believe there was a change in the manual over what position to hold the AC when rotating on it’s access - it was different to what the image showed on the remote controller.

Reactions: Skyfall-0D2
thought sensor calibration could only be done on a pc

The basic Compass calibration just requires the AC to be held and rotated on two of it’s axis as illustrated on the controller’s screen. This measures the surrounding magnetic fields and that of the AC and allows the fields created by the AC to be subtracted from the surrounding field. This ensures the compass isn’t being biased by any iron sources of the AC such as motors and internal components.

Hello Angels,
I am an experienced pilot (ret) & Karma pilot. I decided to buy a DJI for 2 reasons:

I have had the Mavic 2 Pro for 2 weeks, but spent 2 days in various locations trying to calibrate the sensors & GPS.
• When I try to calibrate the sensors, on step 2, it doesn't go any further and hangs. Ive waited as long as 30 minutes.

• The locations I've tried have been 6 & 7.2 miles from the nearest electrical station, sub-station or mast. Even the nearest village has been more than 5 miles away (I live in the Scottish Highlands).

So in the interest of my marriage, I need your assistance, since if I'm not out the house more, there's going to be a divorce and those are very expensive! I could even loose my drone‼‼

Try rotating the Mavic on a different axis, the first rotation is horizontal to the ground, it’s the second rotation when the drone is turned on its side that can cause a problem, make sure that the front ( camera) is facing the correct way! Always rotate slowly and wait for the lights to turn green before going on to the next if this doesn’t work then try with the camera facing the other way while doing the same alignments
Hope this will work for you!
PS I like your reasons for your purchase,,,,,, mine exactly!

The basic Compass calibration just requires the AC to be held and rotated on two of it’s axis as illustrated on the controller’s screen, I KNOW, Compass calibration as far as I'm concerned is just that, a compass, which can be done in the field, when talking about sensors, general consensus of opinion is the optical sensors which are used for obstacle avoidance, which then need a pc to perform the calibration on. and the OP did say sensors here.

Last edited:
WoW! That was a quick response from you all & appreciated.
I took myself to an industrial estate (100yds from a sub station) for 1 last try before the rain started for the weekend... “GPS Calibrated” ????
I’m as stumped as you are...

As for the sensors:
• I get a warning on the controller “Check Status”
• The iPhone reads ‘IMU Sensors need calibrated’

That is why I am trying to do so. From what I can find online: this is simply a sake of:
1/. Fold in the arms & place on a level surface.
2/. Press start on the phone
3/. Turn the aircraft when prompted
4/. (a). Go fly your Mavic 2 Pro
or in my case
(b). Go fly a kite in a Cu.Nm cloud ⚡️?

I will get some screen shots for you as soon as it stops raining again...

Reactions: Cdcolt
Okay... so I had a brain fart (I told you the wife is stressing me)‼️
I meant Compass Calibrated❗I must have sounded all Elton Musk for a moment...
NB: I took these screenshots in the house, but it shows you the warning I’m met with and where it freezes.

As before, I appreciate all your feedback and suggestions now I have my GSP fop-a out the way...30462C0F-3284-4441-86A2-FA6A730BCBA6.jpeg2D3C4EC3-7C7C-4C10-BB80-A40CFC7E575B.jpeg9B9F1E3E-3F4A-4606-8E99-4DBD5B734F24.jpeg

Lovely part of the World, outside of midge season!

Is it the compass calibration you’re having issues with?

I believe there was a change in the manual over what position to hold the AC when rotating on it’s access - it was different to what the image showed on the remote controller.
Have you been to/live in Skye? Love your profile name. I had thought on using the name if I am going ahead with a business, but Skyfall (Glen Etive) is pretty special for us (& we are Bond fans)!

I have indeed spent many, many months on Skye, still my favourite part of the world. Almost moved there permanently but a chance meeting with my future wife in 1992 meant I ended up in Australia instead. Still get back to Skye as often as I can. I was hoping to take my M2P there this year but travel restrictions have prevented that so far.

I thought there was a Bond connection there!

How’s the midges been this year?

Re: the IMU calibration I’ll do some more research. So far not had to do that with mine yet.

I have indeed spent many, many months on Skye, still my favourite part of the world. Almost moved there permanently but a chance meeting with my future wife in 1992 meant I ended up in Australia instead. Still get back to Skye as often as I can. I was hoping to take my M2P there this year but travel restrictions have prevented that so far.

I thought there was a Bond connection there!

How’s the midges been this year?

Re: the IMU calibration I’ll do some more research. So far not had to do that with mine yet.
Oft! Must be costing you a fortune in the UK!!! The Midge this year has not been bad, since it's been mainly dry. There's a spray called 'Smidge' (chemical compound of a WMD), which works very well, but they can be pretty annoying otherwise. I'd still prefer that to some of your bugs in Oz... ?

I would appreciate that. I will have a couple of hours to trawl through YouTube and manuals this evening.

Stay Safe!

Oft! Must be costing you a fortune in the UK!!! The Midge this year has not been bad, since it's been mainly dry. There's a spray called 'Smidge' (chemical compound of a WMD), which works very well, but they can be pretty annoying otherwise. I'd still prefer that to some of your bugs in Oz... [emoji887]

I would appreciate that. I will have a couple of hours to trawl through YouTube and manuals this evening.

Stay Safe!

Fortunately staying at my Parent’s place and use of their car. Been here 4-months so far.

It looks like the initial start position is incorrect or misleading for the IMU Calibration. DJI have posted the following video that seems to have solved the issue for many.

We do have some interesting creatures for sure. Mostly if you leave them alone it’s ok. Just don’t go walkabout where crocs are known to be or walk in long grass.

Okay... so I had a brain fart (I told you the wife is stressing me)‼
I meant Compass Calibrated❗I must have sounded all Elton Musk for a moment...
NB: I took these screenshots in the house, but it shows you the warning I’m met with and where it freezes.

As before, I appreciate all your feedback and suggestions now I have my GSP fop-a out the way...View attachment 105358View attachment 105359View attachment 105357
You don't do the IMU out in the field. Place it on a LEVEL floor in you home. Then run the IMU cablibrations.

For the Compass, No Concrete near-bye (parking lots, revetments, buildings, etc), No electrical or metal within a minimum of 25 feet. This includes your smartwatch, telephone, keys and knives, etc. in your pocket, your vehicle, high power electrical lines, transmitter towers, etc. I usually go to a soccer field, or any open field, leave my keys, phone and watch on the car seat, walk out 30-40 feet into the field, do the calibration, then go retrieve my belongings. Have never had a problem.
When calibrating, the first rotation the bird he heal horizontal, the second it is held with the camera facing up.
Try this and let us know how it goes.
Good Luck

Skyfall,
Just joking, but...
You could trade it off, for something less complicated like a mini and without all those pesky sensors. I'm sure someone here, is willing to help you out.

Reactions: Starz
Hello Angels,

I have had the Mavic 2 Pro for 2 weeks, but spent 2 days in various locations trying to calibrate the sensors & compass.

C99F5823-AE42-4B1B-BFAA-2D7F9DC7E121.jpeg

Reactions: Skyfall-0D2
We've come a long way, since needing to have whale plumbers. Nobody sits side-saddle anymore.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22