DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

California Sales Tax ??

Spikemixture

Reactions
Has anyone here bought a DJI drone or FMK and shipped to California.

Last week I bought 2 x FPV Flymore kits (2 batts and charging strip) and a Motion controller.

It did not state\d the sales tax % but I calculated and I was charged 9.7%.

Was I screwed ?

I'm many California cities it's up to 10%.

Count your blessings. Where I live sales tax 10.25%- with a 5% state income tax and 2% tax annually on the value of your home (value and "multipler" adjusted regularly). No prop 13 here.

It depends on the vendor. I bought from Drone Nerds and was not charged sales tax. At most vendors you may have to go almost all the way through the purchase steps to see if sales tax is charged.

Reactions: vindibona1
B&H camera in New York is a DJI authorized dealer with free shipping above a certain purchase amount. If you use their credit card (Synchrony) they will “pay your sales tax for you”. They provide good service and front door delivery and keep the California flyers legal and happy. I’ve had great service and selection for over a decade.

B&H camera in New York is a DJI authorized dealer with free shipping above a certain purchase amount. If you use their credit card (Synchrony) they will “pay your sales tax for you”. They provide good service and front door delivery and keep the California flyers legal and happy. I’ve had great service and selection for over a decade.
Just make sure you pay it off in the first month as the interest rate is 29.99% on new accounts. Also make sure you read their privacy policy and the policies of their partners in the marketing business. They may not sell your data, but they sure do share it.

Reactions: tlswift58
I used B&H and the Payboo card as well and avoided the sales tax. Truth be told I used the stimulus check money to pay for most of the M2P and Fly More kit. :)

As stated above, Drone Nerds, probably DJI Drone service and other small retailers won't charge you tax. I got one of the B&H "Payboo" (Synchrony Bank) cards and use that so avoid tax. I bought my Mini 2 from B&H as well as USB audio interface and other stuff. Because I use the Payboo card only for B&H and so infrequently that I pay it off in full the moment it shows up in the account, never waiting for a statement. As it was pointed out, interest on some credit cards is almost 30% so you don't want to get caught up in that trick trap. I use credit cards for convience only. Debt is our #1 financial enemy (even if you have the power to print money).

Last week I bought 2 x FPV Flymore kits (2 batts and charging strip) and a Motion controller.

Was I screwed ?

NOPE. Many states now require STATE TAXES on Internet purchases. Most website now show this very plainly. Not sure whom you bought from, but that should be a separate line item at checkout.

Reactions: DBT_Drone

Was I screwed ?
You live in California. That's the equivalent of dropping your pants and bending over.

Thanks for the replies.
Although I am not sure if I received an answer.,

I bought from the DJI Store and had it forwarded to a Freight forwarder (in california) who then send to me in the Philippines.

I thought I was saving money but after 9.7% extra + the freight to get the bits here buying locally is not much more.
In PH the price for the FMK (2batts +) is over $400 and one battery US$230

The FPV pack is actually cheaper than the California price!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair