DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calm but '32 mph gusts' according to UAV Forecast. Risky to fly?

RoboticTundra

Reactions
It is currently quite calm, 21°f, with a minor bit of leaf movement. I've not noticed any gusts but have only been paying close attention for the past 10 minutes. However, UAV Forecast says 32 MPH gusts.

How risky to fly Mavic 2 Pro?

My purpose is to look down the plumbing vents of our house to see if they're frosted up due to sucking drain problems overnight. The don't take a chance bit in me says that a gust could definitely happen so don't risk it.

I'd fly, since you are close to home you likely have plenty of places to land if the wind picks up. Even if a gust takes it reduce height when beyond the house and drop into the lee of the house then, if possible, walk around and if necessary hand catch it.
In sports mode the M2P maximum air speed is 44.7mph at sea level, I'd guess the sea level bit might mean it is less if you live at height.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is currently quite calm, 21°f, with a minor bit of leaf movement. I've not noticed any gusts but have only been paying close attention for the past 10 minutes. However, UAV Forecast says 32 MPH gusts.

My purpose is to look down the plumbing vents of our house to see if they're frosted up due to sucking drain problems overnight. The don't take a chance bit in me says that a gust could definitely happen so don't risk it.
I fly in a lot of extreme weather , but 30 mph winds near a house is tricky but your flight does not seem like it will be to long and you should have plenty of time to get up and time the winds and get your shot and get down.

I dont think its a risk as much as just being aware and knowing that the drone safety is up and above the house and not down where it can whip into a window or house.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain / Snow

Just as I was getting ready to take off a pretty healthy gust blew through. I decided to live for another day :)

Thanks,
You made the right decision, I wish you would have posted earlier and I would have listened to you. Amazon is dropping off a set of props tomorrow.

Good play RoboticTundra, I wasn't as smart as you.

Check out another app called Wind Comoass

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka