DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Changeout Mavic 2 Pro

Deepwater

Reactions
Would be great if I could have two cameras with my Mavic 2 Pro. The existing camera is great, however, I would like to have a zoom option as well. Any thoughts?

Would be great if I could have two cameras with my Mavic 2 Pro. The existing camera is great, however, I would like to have a zoom option as well. Any thoughts?
You can get the cameras on Ebay. make sure you get one from a US dealer. The ones from China are knock off and don't work.
search You tube for the swap videos.

If you do attempt to swap gimbals, be VERY careful with the ribbon connector that goes from the gimbal to the drone. I have already repaired a few gimbals for people who did not correctly match the connector male with the female, and bent pins in one or the other.

I have a few Zoom gimbals for sale. Do you want a new or used one?

Reactions: NH Phantom
If you do attempt to swap gimbals, be VERY careful with the ribbon connector that goes from the gimbal to the drone. I have already repaired a few gimbals for people who did not correctly match the connector male with the female, and bent pins in one or the other.

PM me price on a used one please.

My bet is used would be fine being the seller is the guy that keeps all this china crap working for us .

Reactions: Former Member

No M2Pro for sale?

Would it be possible for you to PM me with prices too....[emoji106]

Keep in mind switching from FOV (28mm equivalent) to HQ (40mm equivalent) mode gets you *almost* the same as a Zoom (24mm-48mm equivalents) in terms of FOV, without all the downsides like a non-adjustable aperture, no 10bit H265, and tiny sensor.

It makes sense to go from Zoom --> Pro because the advantages are so significant, but not so much the other way if you already own the Pro, IMHO.

My M2P 'companion' drone is actually a Mavic Air because image quality is the same as the M2Z and it's less than half the size/weight. Obviously the M2 chassis has some advantages over the Air as well but none that outweigh the size/weight advantage for my usage as a secondary drone.

Keep in mind switching from FOV (28mm equivalent) to HQ (40mm equivalent) mode gets you *almost* the same as a Zoom (24mm-48mm equivalents) in terms of FOV, without all the downsides like a non-adjustable aperture, no 10bit H265, and tiny sensor.

It makes sense to go from Zoom --> Pro because the advantages are so significant, but not so much the other way if you already own the Pro, IMHO.

My M2P 'companion' drone is actually a Mavic Air because image quality is the same as the M2Z and it's less than half the size/weight. Obviously the M2 chassis has some advantages over the Air as well but none that outweigh the size/weight advantage for my usage as a secondary drone.
It seems like almost hands down people are wanting to go from the pro to the zoom. People just like the optical zoom and are not so concerned with image quality. For me, I don't use all the benefits that the pro lens offers.

Reactions: Elude and ff22
It seems like almost hands down people are wanting to go from the pro to the zoom. People just like the optical zoom and are not so concerned with image quality. For me, I don't use all the benefits that the pro lens offers.

Interesting, I've got the opposite impression from various forums and my local shop who first enlightened me to how easy a gimbal swap was due to numerous customer requests.

I also think a lot of people considering it do not fully understand the advantages/disadvantages, since at least once a day the question comes up on these forums. ;)

Interesting, I've got the opposite impression from various forums and my local shop who first enlightened me to how easy a gimbal swap was due to numerous customer requests.

I also think a lot of people considering it do not fully understand the advantages/disadvantages, since at least once a day the question comes up on these forums. ;)

Nothing personal, but the words "easy" and "gimbal swap" make me cringe. What is easy for a person who repairs microelectronics, such as your local shop, is a disaster for the layman photographer. How would I know? All the broken gimbal connectors I have repaired due to people trying to easily swap out their gimbals.

Easy lens swap = My wifes Canon T6i, twist and click, but still a PITA

Cumbersome lens swap = DJI Inspire. Make very sure sure that you dont drop it as you click and twist it off.

Difficult lens/gimbal swap = Mavic 2. Dont strip the screws, dont break the gimbal support, dont tear the ribbon cable, dont mash and bend any pins on the ribbon connector. Wash, rinse, repeat? Not that easy.

I am the self-appointed Mavicpilots "local shop" and I caution people before they try to do repairs themselves. Yes, I consider the gimbal swap a repair because you have to unscrew poor quality, easily stripped factory screws, and it's really not designed to be swapped. Thats why DJI wants to do it for you, but never got around to offering the service. Trust me, I dont make a living off of gimbal swaps, and Im willing to help anyone who wants to do it themselves here on the forum.

Reactions: Elude and ff22
Nothing personal, but the words "easy" and "gimbal swap" make me cringe. What is easy for a person who repairs microelectronics, such as your local shop, is a disaster for the layman photographer. How would I know? All the broken gimbal connectors I have repaired due to people trying to easily swap out their gimbals.

Easy lens swap = My wifes Canon T6i, twist and click, but still a PITA

Cumbersome lens swap = DJI Inspire. Make very sure sure that you dont drop it as you click and twist it off.

Difficult lens/gimbal swap = Mavic 2. Dont strip the screws, dont break the gimbal support, dont tear the ribbon cable, dont mash and bend any pins on the ribbon connector. Wash, rinse, repeat? Not that easy.

I am the self-appointed Mavicpilots "local shop" and I caution people before they try to do repairs themselves. Yes, I consider the gimbal swap a repair because you have to unscrew poor quality, easily stripped factory screws, and it's really not designed to be swapped. Thats why DJI wants to do it for you, but never got around to offering the service. Trust me, I dont make a living off of gimbal swaps, and Im willing to help anyone who wants to do it themselves here on the forum.

What I said was the swap was easy for a shop which is accurate - I think you're taking my comment out of context. I didn't tell anyone to do it themselves, though I am sure some are capable as there are lots of hobbyists that are technically inclined. It takes about 15 minutes and they have had so many requests primarily from people with a M2Z looking to add a Pro gimbal that they regularly stock the part. They are a popular shop that services all of Canada. When I bought my M2, the conversation came up and it piqued my interest so I ended up talking to them about it for a while.

What I said was the swap was easy for a shop which is accurate - I think you're taking my comment out of context. I didn't tell anyone to do it themselves, though I am sure some are capable as there are lots of hobbyists that are technically inclined. It takes about 15 minutes and they have had so many requests primarily from people with a M2Z looking to add a Pro gimbal that they regularly stock the part. They are a popular shop that services all of Canada. When I bought my M2, the conversation came up and it piqued my interest so I ended up talking to them about it for a while.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant you thought it was easy, or the shop thought it was easy, and anyone could do it.

I would not put a timeframe of how long it takes to swap gimbals. A pro might take 20 minutes, and an amateur could take an hour.

Hmmm, I have not had very many request for a Z to a P. Always the other way around. Most prefer the Z. Its a fun gadget to play around with.

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant you thought it was easy, or the shop thought it was easy, and anyone could do it.

I would not put a timeframe of how long it takes to swap gimbals. A pro might take 20 minutes, and an amateur could take an hour.

Hmmm, I have not had very many request for a Z to a P. Always the other way around. Most prefer the Z. Its a fun gadget to play around with.

Thats OK - The shop told me it was easy for them - sorry for any confusion. They told me it takes them about 15 minutes if you know what you're doing (referring to themselves) and that they stock the M2P gimbal as a separate item as they have got a lot of requests. I suspect the reason I am hearing of more people going from Zoom to Pro is because if you already have the Pro there is almost nothing gained by going with the zoom, but a lot to lose. Sounds like you have a different experience but I can only speak to what I've been exposed to. Personally I just kept my Air rather than worry about gimbal swapping ;)

Thats OK - The shop told me it was easy for them - sorry for any confusion. They told me it takes them about 15 minutes if you know what you're doing (referring to themselves) and that they stock the M2P gimbal as a separate item as they have got a lot of requests. I suspect the reason I am hearing of more people going from Zoom to Pro is because if you already have the Pro there is almost nothing gained by going with the zoom, but a lot to lose. Sounds like you have a different experience but I can only speak to what I've been exposed to. Personally I just kept my Air rather than worry about gimbal swapping ;)

Not a bad idea. Instead of swapping an M2P gimbal to an M2Z, you can buy an Air for the same price. But the question is, after flying an M2, who wants to fly an Air? lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka