DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera cover

360 Guy

Reactions
Just asking if anyone has an easy way of mounting the camera cover.
The reason I ask is because when I go to mount it I have the one tab to seat and it's most times a bear.
I'm afraid of breaking the cover by pushing so hard.

Yes, I insert the two upper prongs and seat the lower tab but that last tab.............grrrrrr.

Just ask'in

The gimbal cover for the Mini 2 and most other DJI drones are a royal pain to use. There is no magic answer and I'm sure you are doing as well as the rest of us.

The reason I ask is because when I go to mount it I have the one tab to seat and it's most times a bear.

Yes, I insert the two upper prongs and seat the lower tab but that last tab.............grrrrrr.

Just ask'in
How long have you had the mini 2 ? Is it new? It might get easier over time.

I do both of the top tabs together and then the bottom goes on pretty easy.

Just ask'in
It gets easier over time. The cover and the matching pieces on the drone wear themselves into an easier fit, and you'll get better at it, too!

Had it for approx. a year and it isn't getting easier, just thought I'd ask.

Thx all.
Could be your technique. I struggled with the Mavic 2 Pro until some guy claimed he could do it in 5 seconds and created a video to prove it. No problems since! There are also after market covers for most of the gimbals that may be easier.

Just ask'in

Curious. I’ve not had a problem getting the cover back on the Mini2. I saw right away that the gimbal needs to be lined up or the cover won’t go on easily, possibly damaging the gimbal. Maybe someone could do a quick video on some of the popular gimbal covers. If I get another drone it would be a welcome reference.

Reactions: Clintoops
It was a bear for a while for me too. I now (as said previously) seat the forward tabs, make sure things are lined up, and while keeping a bit of pressure forward, squeeze the rear tab while putting it into place.
Takes a bit of practice for the feel, but it's now a piece of cake. But I'm diabetic so...

Had it for approx. a year and it isn't getting easier, just thought I'd ask.

Thx all.
I'm generally a klutz about fine-finger coordination stuff like that, but I did finally find a way to ease the pain in my...fingers...from putting on the cover.

First, I *never* try to put the cover on unless I'm sitting down!

I turn the drone upside down and hold it in my left hand, with camera facing right. I was never worried about breaking the cover, but I was worried about dinging up the gimbal. I put the "bottom" hooks in first, while simultaneously aligning it so that the "guide tracks" for the gimbal line up correctly with the gimbal.

At the point the "top" hooks just snap into place.

I have another klutz-tip regarding battery removal on the Mini-2. The battery removal process was obviously designed for someone with strong claws, rather than someone with stubby chubby klutzy fingers. As with the cover, start by turning the drone upside down with the battery cover open, and then use your thumb to push that microscopic battery release button. Pops right out!

YMMV, but for me, finding these klutz-workarounds made a couple of profoundly annoying processes, painless.

TCS

I'm generally a klutz about fine-finger coordination stuff like that, but I did finally find a way to ease the pain in my...fingers...from putting on the cover.

First, I *never* try to put the cover on unless I'm sitting down!

I turn the drone upside down and hold it in my left hand, with camera facing right. I was never worried about breaking the cover, but I was worried about dinging up the gimbal. I put the "bottom" hooks in first, while simultaneously aligning it so that the "guide tracks" for the gimbal line up correctly with the gimbal.

TCS
IMHO this is the "trick" for getting the gimbal into the cover. Insert the gimbal exactly on the "guide tracks" from the cover, when you get it accommodated inside of the cover tracks, everything will go smoothly.

Same here, it gets easier over time. I had to cut back on my 8 cups of coffee and now I have no trouble at all.

Same here, it gets easier over time. I had to cut back on my 8 cups of coffee and now I have no trouble at all.
I, on the other hand, won't even attempt it until I'm well into my third cup of Diet Mountain Dew!

:cool:

TCS

Reactions: GrayHornet
  • Invert the drone.
  • Align the gimbal.
  • Engage the forward pair of tabs.
  • Press down on the aft end of the cover.
Wow! Excellent instructions and video. I bet you can do rubics cube in under 10 seconds.

Wow! Excellent instructions and video. I bet you can do rubics cube in under 10 seconds.
The mental part of that challenge is what slows me down. I remember solving it years ago, but it was a multi-day effort. But we had a young co-op student in the office who could routinely solve a Rubic's Cube in less than two minutes. I won more than one beer betting on him.

Back to Phantom 2 Vision+ and 6 drones later, putting on has always been a hassle to me and I've stopped using them entirely.

Unless I am packing for a long trip, I just don't bother using them. I finish flight, and stick in my case and have never had a problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S