DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera gimbal going crazy mid-flight (with video)

kodiak1120

Reactions
In light of the FAA's recent ruling banning flights over certain national monuments including the Statute of Liberty, starting October 5, 2017, I figured I'd head up for one last flight early this morning. I wanted to get up before the park opened so there would be no one on the island while I was doing my flight.

I got there at about 7:00 a.m., and everything was fine. Did my preflight check list and everything looked good and ready to go. Flew about 1/2 a battery and all of the sudden the gimbal started freaking out. Here's a video:

It starts at around 1:05.

As you can see, the gimbal went haywire. I flew it back to me and landed. I checked the gimbal and it looked fine, but there was a small piece of cellophane that I removed. I then put a new battery in and took it off and the gimbal did the same thing.

I'm thinking this is a warranty issue, but has anyone had similar problems. I've had the drone for a few months and never had this issue before. I recently installed the latest firmware, so I'm thinking maybe that's part of the problem?

As you can see, the gimbal went haywire...
I'm thinking this is a warranty issue, but has anyone had similar problems. I've had the drone for a few months and never had this issue before. I recently installed the latest firmware, so I'm thinking maybe that's part of the problem?

It's a known issue. Do a search for "gimbal crazy" on this forum and you'll come up with dozens of threads on the same topic. Here's just one, posted recently:
Camera Went Crazy...

What firmware version and app version are you on?

I had this issue periodically, but as of the latest firmware released 9/19/2017, I have not had it happen one single time. (yet)

Yours seems to be different from mine. My one cuts the recording and the gimbal starts to do a calibration in the air. Wonder if it's the same thing causing it. I also have the plastic on top of the gimbal. Front what I've read, that doesn't affect anything.

I had this issue periodically, but as of the latest firmware released 9/19/2017, I have not had it happen one single time. (yet)

Same here, brand new bird upgraded to latest firmware. Started after about 10 minutes of flight.

I just updated to the most recent firmware the day before.

Yours seems to be different from mine. My one cuts the recording and the gimbal starts to do a calibration in the air. Wonder if it's the same thing causing it. I also have the plastic on top of the gimbal. Front what I've read, that doesn't affect anything.

Yeah, mine didn't seem like a reset although it's hard to tell based on only seeing the video. I should have specified, but I'm not referring to the cellophane attached at the factor to the top of gimbal. This was another small piece that was connected to the arm where the gimbal connects to the drone. It looked more like debris than something installed at the factory. No idea where it came from.

Same here, brand new bird upgraded to latest firmware. Started after about 10 minutes of flight.

I haven't had this one long enough to know whether it's firmware related, but it definitely never did this before the last update. I took it up this morning and it was fine, but I didn't record or try to record any video because my SD card was missing.

I haven't had this one long enough to know whether it's firmware related, but it definitely never did this before the last update. I took it up this morning and it was fine, but I didn't record or try to record any video because my SD card was missing.

From what I've read, it only happens when recording. Only ever happens to me whilst recording.

I think it has to do with the amount of wind you are flying into. It happened to me when in sport mode and flying into the wind. It went crazy but always came back to horizontal. It didn't happen in normal mode flying into the same amount of wind. Think the camera motors just can't hold it steady in overlly strong winds, especially in sport mode.

Reactions: Cbslagle

Some said it happens when the file you're recording to gets to the max size (circa 3+ GB) and then the Mavic has to create a new one, and 10 minutes make sense in this regard

Some said it happens when the file you're recording to gets to the max size (circa 3+ GB) and then the Mavic has to create a new one, and 10 minutes make sense in this regard

I have a Litchi mission that creates two video files as the first file ends and the second one begins the gimbal has a funny turn whilst between waypoints and then continues happily on its mission regaining pre programmed gimbal control but you have to refocus the video as well. Just something to bear in mind so as not to lose the video quality.

I think it has to do with the amount of wind you are flying into. It happened to me when in sport mode and flying into the wind. It went crazy but always came back to horizontal. It didn't happen in normal mode flying into the same amount of wind. Think the camera motors just can't hold it steady in overlly strong winds, especially in sport mode.
Agree

Not in my case. I flew it indoors by holding it in my hands, motors turned off and it still happens.

Wonder what it could be as it's been reported of happening on most FWs. I've tried .400, .700 & .1000
I dont know, scared the crap out of me though, thought i was crashing. This is the only firmware its done it on, its only done it once.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803