DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Issues, Is this normal?

mister1130

Reactions
Just bought the mini 2 as my first drone. I have been having a lot of fun but I have been having a weird issue. I keep getting photos like the one below, I am not sure if this is because I don't have a micro SD card yet (it ships tomorrow) but I am a little concerned. I think it could be lag from the remote to the drone but I am not sure. The image below is the worst example I have, the others have some distortion on certain areas . Usually roofs, this kind of ruins my shots.2020-11-30-15-36-29-820.PNG

Is this a photo taken (and saved) on the drone, or a screen capture on your phone?
If it's the former, you definitely have a problem (could even be corrupted memory on the drone).

Is this a photo taken (and saved) on the drone, or a screen capture on your phone?
If it's the former, you definitely have a problem (could even be corrupted memory on the drone).
It is the latter, my microSD hasn't shipped yet so I have just been flying and using screen capture for now.

Welcome to the forum Mister. I believe Mini 2 doesn't have built in memory, however you can capture single photos or I think max 720p videos. As the file will be directly stored on your phone, maybe depending on speed, the quality may get corrupted on the way down to your phone. Since the SD card is coming tomorrow, just wait and see if that fix the problem. :)

Reactions: mister1130
Just for clarity is that what your eyes see on the screen as the output of the camera without attempting to record anything or photograph anything?
Do you have even a 2G mSD card knocking about your place just to see if it makes a difference? At a guess it wont be up to much but it might serve for short testing purposes at minimum resolutions.

Have you tried lowering the camera/video resolution to its minimum? I get something like that on my computer if I try to watch hi res video from the drone and am wondering if the resolution might be too much for your phone?

Welcome to the forum Mister. I believe Mini 2 doesn't have built in memory, however you can capture single photos or I think max 720p videos. As the file will be directly stored on your phone, maybe depending on speed, the quality may get corrupted on the way down to your phone. Since the SD card is coming tomorrow, just wait and see if that fix the problem. :)
Ok got it! Thanks!

Just for clarity is that what your eyes see on the screen as the output of the camera without attempting to record anything or photograph anything?
Do you have even a 2G mSD card knocking about your place just to see if it makes a difference?

Have you tried lowering the camera/video resolution to its minimum? I get something like that on my computer if I try to watch hi res video from the drone and am wondering if the resolution might be too much for your phone?
Yes that is what I see on the screen when flying and sadly I don't have a mSD lying around. I have the resolution at defaults which is 1080p I believe but idk what res the screen cap is.

Yes that is what I see on the screen when flying and sadly I don't have a mSD lying around. I have the resolution at defaults which is 1080p I believe but idk what res the screen cap is.
I'll try lowering to it's minimum and see if that works

Re "screen capture", are you using a screen capture app and capturing a video or do you mean taking an 'in phone' photo of the screen, (the latter being a simultaneous press and hold of the power and home buttons for me, I think, on my Samsung S6)?
What phone are you using?

Reactions: mister1130
Re "screen capture", are you using a screen capture app and capturing a video or do you mean taking an 'in phone' photo of the screen, (the latter being a simultaneous press and hold of the power and home buttons for me, I think, on my Samsung S6)?
What phone are you using?
On my iPhone 7 in the DJI app, I can either click the photo button or press the photo button on my remote and it will take a screenshot for me.

I will weigh in on this discussion as I experienced the same image distortion using a Samsung S-8. I switched to the Samsung Note 10 and didn't see any distortion under similar conditions (4k, 30 fps, etc.)
Thought that it might be related to video options on my Mini 2.
Then I brought the drone back home to review the SD card data and there was NO distortion on the recorded video found on the SD card.
I believe that the distortion is related to use of some "Screen Recorders" as well as the capabilities of any particular Smartphone being used to view live feed.

It takes a photo, not a screenshot. A screenshot would show telemetry, battery status, map icon, etc.
Iphone is: Press the Side button and the Home button at the same time for screen shot, so you are correct :)

Iphone is: Press the Side button and the Home button at the same time for screen shot, so you are correct :)
But that's not what Mister said. He said he took a screenshot by using the remote (or app) photo button. That takes a photo from the AC camera and not a screenshot of the device screen.

On my iPhone 7 in the DJI app, I can either click the photo button or press the photo button on my remote and it will take a screenshot for me.
The iPhone 7 is likely the issue. I have a iPhone 7+ kicking around and tried to use it as my dedicated device for the MM2 but the video gets choppy and freezes. When I use my iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 12 Pro Max, there's no issues at all. Everything runs super smooth.

Try a different device if you can.

Just bought the mini 2 as my first drone. I have been having a lot of fun but I have been having a weird issue. I keep getting photos like the one below, I am not sure if this is because I don't have a micro SD card yet (it ships tomorrow) but I am a little concerned. I think it could be lag from the remote to the drone but I am not sure. The image below is the worst example I have, the others have some distortion on certain areas . Usually roofs, this kind of ruins my shots.View attachment 118157
Hi am also getting this when flying.. What is the problem

Hi am also getting this when flying.. What is the problem
If you too don't have an SD card, then it can just be signal degradation coming from the transmission. The footage saved to the card wouldn't show that all since it's a direct save rather than relying on wireless transmission strength (and the footage to the phone can only be 1080p+ up to a certain range).

Best fix/result is to use an actual SD card in the drone. It's kind of silly not to have an SD card in this kind of drone.

If you too don't have an SD card, then it can just be signal degradation coming from the transmission. The footage saved to the card wouldn't show that all since it's a direct save rather than relying on wireless transmission strength (and the footage to the phone can only be 1080p+ up to a certain range).

Best fix/result is to use an actual SD card in the drone. It's kind of silly not to have an SD card in this kind of drone.
I have a 64gb sd card... An when I move the gimbal it goes normal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus