DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Wavy, searched can't find same issue

firepilot

Reactions
Hey All,

New guy here been lurking for a while and finally bought a Mavic on Friday. Did all the updates, calibrations have watched endless videos.

!st time drone owner but full time utility helicopter pilot. Former R/C airplane and helicopter pilot. Controlling the Drone seems to be pretty straight forward. Did a flight in beginner mode and then bailed out.

The issue I am having is the video kind of waves or shimmers and is unsteady. Hard to describe so I posted a video on youtube.

another video

I have tried about 30 min of video with many different settings and it seems to consistently do this. I am hoping it is something simple. I am using the sd card that came in the box, I have tried 4k, 2.7 and used both manual settings and the auto mode.

Not sure what the issue is but we are looking to incorporate drones in the future to our other aviation offerings. Just trying to get this figured out a bit. I know there is a big learning curve ahead. Have already taken the 107 test and have the certificate pending in IACRA. Have an airspace authorization application in.

Not going to be worth much if I can't get the video part looking good.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Phil

Last edited:
It looks like it a case of gimbal not seated properly under the the back holding hook but has instead pulled out and up and is sitting on top.

Turn the drone upside down, remove the gimbal dome and gimbal lock. Now look down in the back of the camera against the fan intake and at the bottom is a small 90° hook that faces forward that the gimbal plate should be sitting under it.

Yours is probably sitting on top of it. If so you need to slide the plate back and lift the two front lobes upto clear the front shroud then slide forward now slide plate under hook and drop the two front lobes of gimbal plate back down into shroud.

When Mavic is right way up it gimbal should be floating on the four rubbers and not touch anything and that hook is now under (at bottom)of gimbal plate and is a down stop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

I saw the video on that and just went and double checked. The plate is under the tab, as well are the 2 corner mounts are under the corner pieces.

Still puzzled.

Thanks again

Phil

Then if you just brought it, don't muck around, return it under warranty and get a new one that works properly. You've ended with a faulty one and even if you solve or get it it fixed who's to say it won't do it again or something else is wrong. Get the whole drone replaced now. Just my 2 cents.

Hey All,

New guy here been lurking for a while and finally bought a Mavic on Friday. Did all the updates, calibrations have watched endless videos.

!st time drone owner but full time utility helicopter pilot. Former R/C airplane and helicopter pilot. Controlling the Drone seems to be pretty straight forward. Did a flight in beginner mode and then bailed out.

The issue I am having is the video kind of waves or shimmers and is unsteady. Hard to describe so I posted a video on youtube.

another video

I have tried about 30 min of video with many different settings and it seems to consistently do this. I am hoping it is something simple. I am using the sd card that came in the box, I have tried 4k, 2.7 and used both manual settings and the auto mode.

Not sure what the issue is but we are looking to incorporate drones in the future to our other aviation offerings. Just trying to get this figured out a bit. I know there is a big learning curve ahead. Have already taken the 107 test and have the certificate pending in IACRA. Have an airspace authorization application in.

Not going to be worth much if I can't get the video part looking good.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Phil

You've got the famous "jello" effect going on. This was a quality control issue I thought DJI had resolved. You've going to have to send it in for a new one.

Thanks Guys,

Thats what I needed to know. I bought it at Costco and so back it will go.

Thanks again for a great resource. Hope I can contribute sometime. If you have any questions about manned helicopter stuff feel free to hit me up.

Phil

Got it switched out at Costco. No hassle at all. Charging it back and up let the calibrations begin.

Phil

Quick update. Got the Mavic calibrated this am early and gave it a quick flight. No issues in the footage. Seems that I just had a bad drone.

Quite happy now and looking forward to expanding the flight envelope.

Phil

Hello back again.

Have had some good flights with my Mavic. I took it out today to film some forest units for practice. When I changed elevations with the camera it seemed to go into a turbulent mode. The video became very rough, and stayed that way for the end of the clip. It did it several other times today as well. I did finish off with a flight down by the river in a pretty good wind and it gave me no issues.

I don't know if altitude or temp can effect the quality. The surface temp was about 36 deg, and the elevation was 3000' msl. I was up to 390'agl when the issues began. So the temp where the Magic was flying had to be near freezing. There was also mist in the air. It also seemed to aggravate things that I was descending.

Hope we don't need to take Mavic number 2 back.

Here is a clip from the flight I posted. There is another video on my little 4 video channel with the snow that has the same issue in parts.

Thanks to anyone who has any clues for what's going on. I love this thing and we can see some real possibilities, but wonder if its me or the machine.

Phil

Temperature will effect your operation, states it in the manual. Also, at 3000 feet, the winds could be really different then at ground level. what did the UAV forecast app say the wind speeds were at that elevation.

Change your props.... looks like one is unbalance.... that wave is called jello.. maybe not the problem but worth a shot

Thanks Guys,

No cell coverage where I was flying and so no forecast. I imagine it could be different winds at different altitudes. Keep in mind 3000 feet was above sea level. The mavic was only 350 AGL (above ground level) I experience that in flight all the time. I am thinking maybe after reading the manual again it was temp and moisture. After this episode I did fly again at about 500 MSL and closer to 50 degrees and it was fine.

Rapid learning curve going on here, thanks for the suggestions.

Phil

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S