DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Went Crazy...

jonwyatt

Reactions
Hey Mavic Pilots!

Yesterday I was flying my Mavic (never been crashed, 102 flights) and I experienced something I have not seen in any previous flights.

I was flying at a beach on the bay near my home (United States) and was manually controlling the Mavic. I was in Sport Mode, and while I was flying directly towards myself at 120 feet, the camera went crazy. The DJI Go App showed that the camera stopped recording, and the gimbal seemed to go crazy, jumping from straight ahead to down, to rolling a bit. About 10 seconds later, the camera went back to its normal position and I landed, packed up, and headed home.

I looked at the DJI Go app after flying, and when playing back the path of my flight, the area on the right side where the gimbal movement is was greyed out during the part of my flight that this occurred in.

I never lost connection, and never lost control of the Mavic. The camera is another story. I uploaded the flight logs to Airdata and no issues were found.

Anyone experienced this before or have any ideas on what the issue might be?

Reactions: garben
It sounds like the camera and gimbal rebooted which has been reported a few times - alarming when you can see what looks like your Mavic crashing - but probably it isn't something to worry about if it's just the odd time.

Reactions: Former Member
There is quite thread on this camera reset issue from a while back. Most people put it down to a file writing glitch as it invariably happens when the video recording gets to the max 4GB size and a new sequential recording starts. ~9 min 4K and 12 min 2.7K. Every so often this transition causes the camera to reset. Who knows it maybe a memory thing or CPU load depending on what the Mavic is doing in addition to the new file event at the time.

I posted some notes on it and an example video in the other thread at Camera system resets mid-flight...?

When you first experience one of these events it is alarming. Subsequently as soon as you realise what is going on, sit on your hands until the camera recovers. I hadn't had it occur for a couple of months until about a week ago. When I checked sure enough it was exactly on the 12min cutover of my 2.7K recording.

@jonwyatt how far into your flight and recording were you when your event occurred and were you using 2.7K or 4K?

PS if it is indeed the same issue you are seeing, a simple fix is to stop recording video at some point prior to the file size reaching 4GB and restart recording again. Then all should be well and no camera restart.

Last edited:
There is quite thread on this camera reset issue from a while back. Most people put it down to a file writing glitch as it invariably happens when the video recording gets to the max 4GB size and a new sequential recording starts. ~9 min 4K and 12 min 2.7K. Every so often this transition causes the camera to reset. Who knows it maybe a memory thing or CPU load depending on what the Mavic is doing in addition to the new file event at the time.

I posted some notes on it and an example video in the other thread at Camera system resets mid-flight...?

When you first experience one of these events it is alarming. Subsequently as soon as you realise what is going on, sit on your hands until the camera recovers. I hadn't had it occur for a couple of months until about a week ago. When I checked sure enough it was exactly on the 12min cutover of my 2.7K recording.

@jonwyatt how far into your flight and recording were you when your event occurred and were you using 2.7K or 4K?

PS if it is indeed the same issue you are seeing, a simple fix is to stop recording video at some point prior to the file size reaching 4GB and restart recording again. Then all should be well and no camera restart.

My camera shutting off and ending video was coming from letting off the throttle and having the drone abruptly stop!!! I only have 20 hours or so of flying so I will keep an eye on it!

That's exactly what I experienced! It's very disruptive and violent. It had me think my baby was under attack the first time. At least now I know it's not unique to only me [emoji57] and thinking my baby was defective [emoji23][emoji23]

The video is not lost then ? I mean the video the drone is recording when the gimbal reboots ?

Happened to me two or three times under windy conditions. Scary as the gimbal movement made me believe the drone was going upside down ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekleeth