DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Wheel on controller rotating aircraft

Fingerhut

Reactions
Hey Pilots,

did not find similar Thread for this topic, please correct me if I missed something.

Got a problem with my Controller Wheel. Sometimes when I tilt my camera with the wheel, the complete drone is rotating making it impossible to produce nice shots. Its linked with the camera tilt, when I tilt down its rotating left, up rotating right.

After I land the drone (without disconnecting) and start to fly again it works (sometimes), also I have refreshed the new Firmware with Assistant Software.

Do you have any idea what might help?

Thanks!!

Try a calibrating the remote controller, same process as the Mavic Pro:

Reactions: Geani66
Thanks for your tip, did the calibration for the first time but it still doing this weird rotation.

Thanks for your tip, did the calibration for the first time but it still doing this weird rotation.
A you 100% positive you aren't touching any of the control sticks by accident sometimes? Even leaning on one slightly? This can happen easily.

Reactions: Kilrah
Yes, I am not touching anything else, I made a short .gif where you can see it

Attachments

• May-02-2018 16-19-56.gif
    May-02-2018 16-19-56.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 98
Reactions: FEMit
Hope these are the files you are asking for, .dat and .txt

(Edit: deleted file)

Last edited:
Hope these are the files you are asking for, .dat and .txt

yes those are the once. the logs show exactly what you described. i.e. the drone is rotating when you move the gimbal wheel, without any yaw-stick input. Looks like there is something very wrong.

Did the drone always do this, or did it just start? any other issues or past crashes?
Did you do all calibrations? compass, IMU, gimbal? did you try re-install Go 4 app?

there are a couple very experienced log-whisperers on the forum, maybe one of them has an idea?

If nothing helps I suggest to open a ticket with DJI support and see what they have to say (post result here to help the community)

Reactions: Fingerhut
Well, it sometimes happens and sometimes not. That's why I cannot say if this was right at the beginning. But I have the drone now for 2 weeks, it's quite new.
No Crash, no other issues.
I will go through all the calibration processes and re-install the app and let you know.

Thanks for your help laurens23

Reactions: laurens23
.... the drone is rotating when you move the gimbal wheel, without any yaw-stick input. ......
Which data are you using to see if the wheel is being moved?

Reactions: Radartk
calibrated everything and reinstall DJI go app, had two flights and everything went well. Seems to be fine for now.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
Which data are you using to see if the wheel is being moved?

He posted the logs, but then deleted them, and because downloaded it yesterday on my personal PC and I'm now at work I cant recreate the graph and post it.

I used the following parameters from the .txt RC gimbal, RC rudder, Attitude Yaw.
I checked a bunch of other potentially relevant parameters and also compared the OP's log to some of my own logs to see how my drone reacts to both yaw and gimbal-wheel movements.

Well, it sometimes happens and sometimes not. That's why I cannot say if this was right at the beginning. But I have the drone now for 2 weeks, it's quite new.
No Crash, no other issues.
I will go through all the calibration processes and re-install the app and let you know.

Thanks for your help laurens23

Does this only happen inside? or also outside?
do you happen to have access to another controller (from a friend)?
then you can test if it is a drone issue or a controller issue.

Because it is a new drone I would just contact DJI. they probably ask for the logs and after looking at them either tell you what the issue is and how to fix it, or send you a new drone under warranty.

PS: why did you remove the logs?

Reactions: FEMit
Hey,

I do not know what kind of data are in the logs, want to check them myself before making them public to the world (privacy)

It happened inside and outside, no access to another controller, but I will test if I have the possibility

Might want to try a factory reset using assistant. If that doesn't work you'll have to go through DJI.

Very weird.

Hey,

I do not know what kind of data are in the logs, want to check them myself before making them public to the world (privacy)

hehe you are right about the privacy concern. I like your Diamond shirt, and that couch you are sitting on looks comfortable too, I don't like the white chair at your desk though.:D

Your log contains 2 pictures, because it was inside there is no location/GPS data.

This is very unusual. There is a definite correlation between the gimbal wheel and the aileron. And, a definite correlation between the aileron and Yaw. The gimbal-aileron connection seems like it has to be a hardware issue - that's techno-speak for explanation unknown.

The Mavic is using the vision system to hover (visionUsed == true) and I can kinda see how a some lateral movement could cause the vision system to think some Yaw correction is required.
upload_2018-5-4_9-18-27.png

@Fingerhut the .dat you provided isn't the right type and can't help much. You could try this help to find a useful.DAT.

And, @Fingerhut I think you must be using a different control stick configuration. It would appear that application of rudder causes roll, not a Yaw change.
upload_2018-5-4_9-31-54.png

And, @Fingerhut I think you must be using a different control stick configuration. It would appear that application of rudder causes roll, not a Yaw change.
View attachment 37200

Yes, it looks like the gimbal wheel causes an aileron signal which results in a yaw movement.....
an independent aileron stick input also causes a yaw movement @99 sec.
@Fingerhut maybe you can check what the stick mode setting is used?

weird stuff. I would not fly the drone like this.

hehe you are right about the privacy concern. I like your Diamond shirt, and that couch you are sitting on looks comfortable too, I don't like the white chair at your desk though.:D

Your log contains 2 pictures, because it was inside there is no location/GPS data.

that's what I thought ;) but thank god these are not my furniture.

I am using Controller mode 3 (left: forward/backward ; sideways left/right | right: up/down ; turn left/right)

@Fingerhut the .dat you provided isn't the right type and can't help much. You could try this help to find a useful.DAT.

I will check this .dat files.

Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike