DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can’t fly out of a GEO zone?

Tkoglin

Reactions
Just bought a Mavic Pro and took it out for a flight today. This is my first drone using the Go 4 app and Geo Fencing.
My house is right in the outer edge of a GeoZone. I can take off and fly around inside the orange zone with limited altitude. The problem I’m having is that it won’t let me leave the orange zone. When I try flying to the right and the drone gets to the edge I will get a message on the screen and the drone will stop.
I could see stopping the drone from flying into a restricted zone but why won’t it let me exit the restricted zone?
I’ve included a couple of screenshots to show you. I wish i would have taken a screenshot of my flight path that shows the zone stopping at the right edge of the orange zone.4ED3118A-A21D-4AAF-B1B4-018A87C29889.png8235DEF0-AC86-403D-B2A6-F1298F181081.png

Seems like a bug. Is your firmware up to date?

Just bought a Mavic Pro and took it out for a flight today. This is my first drone using the Go 4 app and Geo Fencing.
My house is right in the outer edge of a GeoZone. I can take off and fly around inside the orange zone with limited altitude. The problem I’m having is that it won’t let me leave the orange zone. When I try flying to the right and the drone gets to the edge I will get a message on the screen and the drone will stop.
I could see stopping the drone from flying into a restricted zone but why won’t it let me exit the restricted zone?
I’ve included a couple of screenshots to show you. I wish i would have taken a screenshot of my flight path that shows the zone stopping at the right edge of the orange zone.View attachment 68574View attachment 68575

When you got to the edge it it actually stop the drone or did it just threaten to?

Did you have to unlock the area to take off?

There are three orange zones shown. Does it stop when you get to the edge of the one you're in (middle) or the right edge of the outer zone? Beyond the outer orange ring is another zone, which isn't shown on the app, for Pontiac Class D (which encompasses all the other zones).
The use of the term "Altitude Zone" is interesting, because your'e already in the Altitude Zones, which are the gray ones. This from the DJI GeoZone map website: Altitude Zones: Altitude zones will appear in gray on the map. Users receive warnings in DJI GO, or DJI GO 4 and flight altitude is limited.
At first glance it appears that DJI has so many zones stacked in this area that their zone rules for the app are in conflict.
See the GeoZones for Airports header here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
See the notes below the map here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Last edited:
When you got to the edge it it actually stop the drone or did it just threaten to?

Did you have to unlock the area to take off?
It stopped the drone. I didn’t have to unlock anything to fly. I just got the message that I was in a altitude restricted zone. I don’t remember exactly but I think the limit it kept me to was around 190’?
This was my first flight with the Mavic Pro and the Go4 app so this geofencing is new to me.

There are three orange zones shown. Does it stop when you get to the edge of the one you're in (middle) or the right edge of the outer zone? Beyond the outer orange ring is another zone, which isn't shown on the app, for Pontiac Class D (which encompasses all the other zones).
The use of the term "Altitude Zone" is interesting, because your'e already in the Altitude Zones, which are the gray ones. This from the DJI GeoZone map website: Altitude Zones: Altitude zones will appear in gray on the map. Users receive warnings in DJI GO, or DJI GO 4 and flight altitude is limited.
At first glance it appears that DJI has so many zones stacked in this area that their zone rules for the app are in conflict.
See the GeoZones for Airports header here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
See the notes below the map here: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

View attachment 68602
I don’t remember what zone it stopped at. I’ll try flying again and I’ll take a screenshot of the flight route.

I had a similar problem in my area where I have 2 overlapping zones. I was able to unlock both using the DJI Self Unlocking feature and my phone for verification. Afterwards I was able to fly up to 400' altitude, and towards the NE direction. However, I did not fly towards the inner circle in the SE area since that is the 5 mile airport circle.

Attachments

• C772EE52-216D-40F1-B5E0-539ACC43BCA6.jpeg
    C772EE52-216D-40F1-B5E0-539ACC43BCA6.jpeg
    851.1 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Tkoglin
I had a similar problem in my area where I have 2 overlapping zones. I was able to unlock both using the DJI Self Unlocking feature and my phone for verification. Afterwards I was able to fly up to 400' altitude, and towards the NE direction. However, I did not fly towards the inner circle in the SE area since that is the 5 mile airport circle.
Thanks ?

The NO FLY ZONE is getting out of control! DJI keeps adding them constantly,and some are abandoned air ports,or grass strips that local Ultra Light pilots have at their homes. Before long there will be no area that is suitable for flying,without driving 50 miles out to the middle of nowhere,to fly your drone!IMG_3597.PNG

View attachment 68602

I went online before my flight today and unlocked the GeoZone that I’m in when I take off. I still had the altitude restriction of 196’ but I was able to fly out of the restricted zone. Once I was out then the altitude restriction was also lifted.

Attachments

• CF0BCC15-5AA5-4928-AF70-DAF30B57681E.png
    CF0BCC15-5AA5-4928-AF70-DAF30B57681E.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: kadras
Sad since FAA doesn’t recognize DJI as far as LAANC clearance
They are recognized by the FAA. The lack of the check mark means they don't offer a publicly available service.

I went online before my flight today and unlocked the GeoZone that I’m in when I take off. I still had the altitude restriction of 196’ but I was able to fly out of the restricted zone. Once I was out then the altitude restriction was also lifted.
Glad you got out of your zone.:)

I got mine unlocked too by giving my controller serial number and my phone number. I agreed to the check boxes and they gave me an unlock code. Problem is it's only good for 2-3 days and I wanted to fly much more from my home zone. This is a pain to do this constantly ever couple days. Also I was trying to go up to the 400 foot level allowed but got frozen at 392 feet by the app, why is it stopping me short?

Pontiac airport. "Near" where I lived most of my life. Strange to see this map as I now participate in this forum from Armenia. Thanks for the post to bring me closer to home for a minute. Enjoy your Mavic and flights. Good luck with the Geo zone.

I got mine unlocked too by giving my controller serial number and my phone number. I agreed to the check boxes and they gave me an unlock code. Problem is it's only good for 2-3 days and I wanted to fly much more from my home zone. This is a pain to do this constantly ever couple days. Also I was trying to go up to the 400 foot level allowed but got frozen at 392 feet by the app, why is it stopping me short?
Exactly why I use AirMap... it’s almost instant. Who’s got time to fill out all that stuff for clearance in the NFZs found in the DJI software, which is so different from all the other US LAANC clearance apps I have seen.

There are two different altitude zones around your location, and you can see the vertical line clearly on the map in the grey areas. The near one is 190feet and the distant one is 400feet. It's possible you are stopped between the steps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada