DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can a drone be bound to more than 1 controller at a time. Mini 3 pro

Craig Notts

Reactions
My mini 3 arrived yesterday with the built in screen so I am well happy and had a 2 minutes test flight and all was good.
I was hoping to also fly with a spare RCN1 controller that I have because I also like to fly with an iPad mini.
I managed to bind the RCN1 to the mini 3 but a message for popped up that said 5 flights only. Also afterwards I had to re- bind the mini 3 to the new RC controller.
Can a drone be bound to more than 1 controller at a time or does this un bind it to the original drone.
As for the 5 flights only message would it help if I used a second DJI account to fly with the second controller
Cheers

@Craig Notts you can only have the drone bound to one controller at a time dont try using a different DJI ac as the information is linked to your E mail address

@Craig Notts If I may ask, do you have the Flyaway insurance?
If so be careful of swapping controllers, from what I have read I have the impression that if the controller in use is not bound to the drone and or perhaps the DJI account used when buying the insurance, the Flyaway insurance is invalid. I would also suggest checking this as I could be mistaken.
In this post "bound", "binding" and "bind" etc. refer to something OTHER than, to quote DJI terminology, "linking" the controller and drone, where "linking" etc. refers to establishing the controlling connection between the drone and the controller. Colour used for emphasis.

I have neither care-refresh nor Flyaway insurance and, using a Mini 2, experimented with, from memory, binding the drone to my DJI account. I was able to bind and unbind the drone from the DJI account.
Whilst the drone was bound I was able to fly the drone using a different controller ( expected) and, when using either controller with an App logged into a different DJI account ( unexpected). Obviously I had to 'relink' each controller as I swapped them.
I saw no warnings about 5 etc. flights though I did, I think, see a message that the drone was bound to another account.
I saw no way to bind the controller to either DJI account.

As mentioned, being able to fly the drone with the second account was unexpected, it was also disappointing. I had hoped that the drone could not be flown when using the second DJI account. Maybe that only happens if one has bought the Flyaway insurance.
I was uncertain what would happen concerning a limitation on the the number of flights.
This experiment was a while ago and since it did not go as expected I have not really bothered to commit the circumstances to memory, hence the "I think"s etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig Notts
If so be careful of swapping controllers, from what I have read I have the impression that if the controller in use is not bound to the drone and or perhaps the DJI account used when buying the insurance, the Flyaway insurance is invalid. I would also suggest checking this as I could be mistaken.
In this post "bound", "binding" and "bind" etc. refer to something OTHER than, to quote DJI terminology, "linking" the controller and drone, where "linking" etc. refers to establishing the controlling connection between the drone and the controller. Colour used for emphasis.

I have neither care-refresh nor Flyaway insurance and, using a Mini 2, experimented with, from memory, binding the drone to my DJI account. I was able to bind and unbind the drone from the DJI account.
Whilst the drone was bound I was able to fly the drone using a different controller ( expected) and, when using either controller with an App logged into a different DJI account ( unexpected). Obviously I had to 'relink' each controller as I swapped them.
I saw no warnings about 5 etc. flights though I did, I think, see a message that the drone was bound to another account.

As mentioned, being able to fly the drone with the second account was unexpected, it was also disappointing. I had hoped that the drone could not be flown when using the second DJI account. Maybe that only happens if one has bought the Flyaway insurance.
I was uncertain what would happen concerning a limitation on the the number of flights.
This experiment was a while ago and since it did not go as expected I have not really bothered to commit the circumstances to memory, hence the "I think"s etc.
Cheers mate , why was it disappointing being able to fly with the second account

I think you've talked me out of trying th RCN1 from the Mini 2 with the Mini3 and count my blessings how well the Mini 3 flies with the DJI RC. I hadn't planned on selling the Mini 2 in the immediate future, largely because it now has a plethora of 3rd party apps and FPV capability, which will be awhile coming until DJI decides to release the SDK which took 18 months for the Mini 2. Partially the same reason I'm hanging onto my Mavic 2 Pro (and not seeing enough advantage to "upgrade" to a Mavic 3).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11