DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can a phone/tablet with Android 5.x or 4.4.x still run DJI FLY ?

Jam0ne

Reactions
I believe on DJI site it says minimum Android 6.0.1 for DJI Fly,
But, on a few sites listing compatible devices , such as:
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help
and

When i check the specs, of many of those phones, at GSMArena.com - mobile phone reviews, news, specifications and more... or PhoneArena - Phone News, Reviews and Specs
many of those "compatible phones" are phones with Android 4.4.x or Android 5.x

So, has anyone been able to download, install, and run DJI Fly, on a phone/tablet that's running an Android version lower than the Android v6.0.1 ?

T.I.A.

Mini 2 owner looking for solutions.

Reactions: heronlen
I believe on DJI site it says minimum Android 6.0.1 for DJI Fly,
But, on a few sites listing compatible devices , such as:
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help
and

When i check the specs, of many of those phones, at GSMArena.com - mobile phone reviews, news, specifications and more... or PhoneArena - Phone News, Reviews and Specs
many of those "compatible phones" are phones with Android 4.4.x or Android 5.x

So, has anyone been able to download, install, and run DJI Fly, on a phone/tablet that's running an Android version lower than the Android v6.0.1 ?

T.I.A.

Mini 2 owner looking for solutions.
Are there any Android 4.4 or 5.x that are 64 bit? I would not think so, maybe a 5.x. Most devices that came with those Android versions will not be 64 bit devices, neither SoC or OS, though some may have 64 bit SoCs.

Are there any Android 4.4 or 5.x that are 64 bit? I would not think so, maybe a 5.x. Most devices that came with those Android versions will not be 64 bit devices, neither SoC or OS, though some may have 64 bit SoCs.

Example: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is listed as a 32-bit system, and is only able to upgrade to Android Lollipop 5
according to Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 LTE - Specifications and phonearena.com
but the Note 3 is listed as "compatible" on the links from OP,
How is that possible ?

People have commented that DJI Fly "requires",: Android 6.x minimum, 64-bit CPU , ARM , etc.

Reactions: PeterPatrick
People have commented that DJI Fly "requires",: Android 6.x minimum, 64-bit CPU , ARM , etc.
Apart from requiring a 64 bit CPU, the app is quite demanding and requires a lot of RAM and a fast processor.
Searching for the oldest/weakest device that might almost run the app isn't going to give you a good flying experience.

Reactions: tlswift58 and DJayI
Apart from requiring a 64 bit CPU, the app is quite demanding and requires a lot of RAM and a fast processor.
Searching for the oldest/weakest device that might almost run the app isn't going to give you a good flying experience.

Please go read the posts over,
if you don't understand them, please don't give a response just for the sake of posting,

No ones "Searching for the oldest/weakest device" , we're DISCUSSING "compatible devices" that's listed on the link ( Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help ) , and that's mentioned in various topics on this forum, not "meeting the requirement" but claims to run DJI Fly without issues.

i used Galaxy Note 3 as an "EXAMPLE", and it is no where near the weakest/oldest device on the lists. .

Thank you.

Reactions: jinks02
Please go read the posts over,
if you don't understand them, please don't give a response just for the sake of posting,
If you're suggesting I don't understand the topic or haven't read the thread, you couldn't be further from the truth.
That's not a great way to encourage discussion.

Last edited:
Example: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is listed as a 32-bit system, and is only able to upgrade to Android Lollipop 5
according to Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 LTE - Specifications and phonearena.com
but the Note 3 is listed as "compatible" on the links from OP,
How is that possible ?

My opinion on this...If DJI says 64 bit is required, I have to assume it is. I would give more credit to DJI in this case than internet lists. Maybe at one point the Fly app did not require it, and 32 bit cpu and 32 bit Android 4.4 or 5.x worked for it and the device made the list, but not now, 64 bit required. It is important to understand that 32 bit and 64 bit use different instruction sets for programming, and while there are times that 64 bit OS and CPU can run backwards compatible, it is not true that a 32 bit OS and CPU can run forwards compatibility.
I use a $120 Moto G Power(2020 version) it ticks all of the boxes for compatibility and the CPU(64 bit) and Android(64 bit) run the app very well. While it would be nice to have more than it's 4GB of RAM, the Fly app has not complained. Also has a decent screen(1080p, 399PPI), good GPS and WiFi.
I always like to extend the use of, or find new uses for, antiquated items, however, we are talking about using it to control a flying bag of money with over $450 dollars in it. I want that bag of money to come home everytime.
Can you tell us why you want to use a 32 bit device? If the answer is economy or budget, I totally get it, but the flying sack of $450.?

Good luck in your quest.

Reactions: Jam0ne
My opinion on this...If DJI says 64 bit is required, I have to assume it is. I would give more credit to DJI in this case than internet lists. Maybe at one point the Fly app did not require it, and 32 bit cpu and 32 bit Android 4.4 or 5.x worked for it and the device made the list, but not now, 64 bit required........Can you tell us why you want to use a 32 bit device? If the answer is economy or budget, I totally get it, but the flying sack of $450.?

Good luck in your quest.

I am trying to understand how some of those phones/tablets are able to control the DJI Fly App without meeting the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS, or, how those phones/tablets got on the list.
Looking for confirmation in some sense, as to how reliable the "list" is.

That list (links) has been shared (referred) on this forum hundreds of time as to be the "shopping list"
i have read posts about someone purchasing a phone/tablet "because" it was listed as "compatible", only to find out that the item didnt work .

I am trying to understand how some of those phones/tablets are able to control the DJI Fly App without meeting the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS, or, how those phones/tablets got on the list.
Looking for confirmation in some sense, as to how reliable the "list" is.

That list (links) has been shared (referred) on this forum hundreds of time as to be the "shopping list"
i have read posts about someone purchasing a phone/tablet "because" it was listed as "compatible", only to find out that the item didnt work .
How well is the list maintained? Are "no longer meets minimum required" devices culled from the list regularly? Maybe at one point a device met the minimum, but the Fly app has evolved past the former minimums, leaving the device behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne and Kilrah
How many of those cases were because DJI released DJI Fly which would not run on 32 bit devices that ran (and still run) DJI Go perfectly?
DJI caught everyone by surprise and didn't make it clear that Fly would only run on 32 bit devices. < oops .. typo s/b 64 bit >

Last edited:
Yeah, i think "maintenance" of the list is lacking/the issue,
or the creator should've also ask the contributors to include in their submission, the VERSION NUMBER of the APP they were using, and the Android version....(at the time)
Also agree, DJI blind-sided users with the changes, I had originally plan to buy 2 Mini 2, but after 1st purchase, and realize I would need 2 new phones (unexpected additional expenses) , I decided not to buy a second.

It's time consuming, but, digging (reading many) forum topics gives a better idea of which phone/tablet actually works or doesn't work.

Reactions: DJayI and Tufargon
creator should've also ask the contributors to include in their submission, the VERSION NUMBER of the APP they were using, and the Android version....(at the time). "...It's time consuming, but, digging (reading many) forum topics gives a better idea of which phone/tablet actually works or doesn't work".

Totally agree, these would be good factors to include.

It can be time consuming, for sure. As soon as I was comfortable with the Moto G Power's and the Fly app's compatibility/performance, I posted it here in an effort to shorten that time for others.
Now I just need to find all the compatibility lists and add it. Though I did see it on one of the lists, cannot remember which one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143