DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can any old micro USB cable be plugged into Mav 2 Remote, instead of using the short little side strapped flat cable combined into the power brick??

mrreddog

Reactions
Can any old micro USB cable be plugged into Mav 2 Remote, instead of using the short little side strapped flat cable combined into the power brick??
Im pretty sure its just 5 volts from integrated micro usb cable??? Just dont want screw anything up. I really hate that short strap cable......

Yes, it's just a regular micro usb - but take care which way up you insert it as the opening is not shaped like a conventional micro usb.
The 'narrow' side of the plug should be upwards.
It's worth putting a mark on the cable you might use, to remind you and make it easier to see in poor light.

There are a lot of Posts on this forum about the 'fragility' of the micro-USB port on the side of the controller. You can get the whole story here ... Micro USB........
The popular view is to use a short USB 2.0 to - whatever your mobile has - from the bottom port of your controller, between the fold out wings. Remove the short micro-USB A type cable from the side port, and only use the side port for charging. As mentioned above, most common micro-USB cable is the 'B' type with angled edges, so it is possible to put this connector in the wrong way round and break the 'tongue' of the controller connector, making it impossible to charge! Two common methods to stop the damage are to either put a spot of paint on your micro-USB connector and controller so you know which way is up - or to use the new type of USB cables [by NetDot] which have magnetic micro-USB 'B' tips. The NetDot solution allows you to just leave the tip connected to the controller so you are not continually plugging and unplugging a charger cable into the port.
IMG_20181124_095144.jpg
I use a short USB2.0 to USB-C type cable to connect my Android phone, and have a NetDot micro-USB tip left permanently connected to the charging port of my controller.

Can any old micro USB cable be plugged into Mav 2 Remote
The only catch to watch out for is that some cheap cables are charge only.
Make sure you get a data/charge cable.

I tried using a magnetic micro-USB adapter on my MP RC. I thought it was super slick until I used it with the assistant 2. WRONG!!!!
As soon as the RC connected with assistant 2, the RC started freaking out. Beeping & telling me I needed to do a stick calibration.
Something to do with the magnetism of the adapter & how the MP RC works in regards to the sticks & calibration. Once removed, everything was fine again. Don't know about any other DJI RC. That was enough for me. Never did try & fly MP with the adapter installed.

I tried using a magnetic micro-USB adapter on my MP RC. I thought it was super slick until I used it with the assistant 2. WRONG!!!!
As soon as the RC connected with assistant 2, the RC started freaking out. Beeping & telling me I needed to do a stick calibration.
Something to do with the magnetism of the adapter & how the MP RC works in regards to the sticks & calibration. Once removed, everything was fine again. Don't know about any other DJI RC. That was enough for me. Never did try & fly MP with the adapter installed.

Some of those magnets are pretty strong and may well cause magnetic interference with the RC, but ultimately I don't think you need to worry about it because everything that matters is on the drone, right? GPS, including current and RTH coords, altitude, object detection, etc. are all on the drone. At worst you might get some distortion of the cardiod shape of the RF signal emitted by the drone, but the RC has a 7km range so it seems unlikely to make too much difference in practice. I've not seen the Assistant 2 problem with my NetDot magnetic cable, but even so that's fine. The point of this cabling setup is to avoid wear and tear on the micro-USB charging port, so even if you have to remove the magnetic stub to do a reliable firmware update, that's maybe once a month or so at present vs. however many charging cycles of the RC you do over the same timescale.

Personally, I'd feel a lot happier if DJI bit the bullet and released a USB-C charging port version of the circuit board in the RC (not sure why they didn't, given that the drone has one - cribbing from earlier designs I expect) so that any repairs/replacements would fix the issue , and remove all the negative PR arising for words like "fragile" in the same sentence as "DJI", for good.

Reactions: ff22
The MP rc uses magnetic sensors in its sticks and that's why magnets close to it may cause trouble by giving non-existent stick inputs.

Thanks guys, Im very familiar with this issue from Mav 1, and I have used the magnetic cables but had small issues. so I found a nice heavy duty usb cable that I bought for all 4 of my mav 1"s. I just wasnt sure if the Mav 2 RC needed that dingus connect to the power brick or if any 5 volt 2 amp cord will work. I always use the bottom regular usb port for my phone or tablet like mentioned above. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica