DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone recommend a really cheap phone or tabelt for the mini 2

EddyK

Reactions
I recently bought a mini 2 and (naively, perhaps) thought that you could use any smartphone for it, and that my Alcatel Joy 1 would be fine. But now I find that you need the Fly app, and it won't work on my phone. I'm pretty miffed, as I only bought that phone to use on a drone (the Autel Evo) rather than make phone calls.

So now I need to go to the expense of buying another phone that I'll never even use as a phone, or a tablet, just to fly the mini 2.

So please can anyone recommend either (1) a REALLY cheap phone or (2) a cheap tablet that is small enough to use on the controller without having to mess about with adapters? Thanks.

A UK spec Samsung S6 works and depending on how good the condition is go from $40ish on ebay (32Gb). Check how long the battery lasts before you buy etc. etc. They are sealed units and replacing the battery can be 'awkward'. Just be careful handling it, they are slippy beep beeps.
An 5S iPhone works too but, screenwise, that is getting small.

I recently bought a mini 2 and (naively, perhaps) thought that you could use any smartphone for it, and that my Alcatel Joy 1 would be fine. But now I find that you need the Fly app, and it won't work on my phone. I'm pretty miffed, as I only bought that phone to use on a drone (the Autel Evo) rather than make phone calls.

So now I need to go to the expense of buying another phone that I'll never even use as a phone, or a tablet, just to fly the mini 2.

So please can anyone recommend either (1) a REALLY cheap phone or (2) a cheap tablet that is small enough to use on the controller without having to mess about with adapters? Thanks.
Try an older FlyApp version. Going back pre 1.3.0 tends to work on older model phones.

Apple needs about 2Ghz processor to run recent FLY app. Mini 4 (1.5Ghz) no longer works (cpu overload) but mini 5 (2.5Ghz) is fine. FLY is a power hog unlike Go 4. Good that you're not running other apps. Look at cpu specs when buying.

You'll need a device with a 64 bit CPU. The easiest way to get a device that works is to check DJI's compatibility list and then look up secondhand devices on eBay or your local Facebook Marketplace pages. I got a compatible phone for $50 that I only use with the drone.

I use an LGV40 ThinQ that is no longer compatible with the Sprint network. I haven’t looked but I would think they would be cheap to buy as they can’t be ised for cellular svc any more.

Mike

IU had similar problems but tht was me not doing my (usual :( ) research and was annoyed as you are...

In the end I got a Redmi note 5 Pro.. it worked ok till the Fly pp for past 1.4.12 then it started to play up.. I reverted and not just resist the update notifications and it is stable and eminently usable. Happy flyer now.

It was almost pristine and cost £55 off eBay UK.. I just use it for flying and no data access. I preload my flying area in advance of going out if I want/need territorial views.

Just make sure the CPU is 64bit. That seems to be the main criteria. The controller for the Mini 2 comes with three cables to go from the controller to the phone/camera. They should handle anything that comes up.

Firstly, check the compatibility list. Too many people try others and complain they are having problems. Having said that, I've been using a Galaxy Tab S2 with no problems.
Hunt Ebay, I also have an iPhone XR with a broken camera and no face recognition, neither of which you need to fly a drone, for a song!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e