DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone talk me out of buying BT-300 glasses

dwolfe002

Reactions
I saw these glasses in an advertisement and thought they would be just what I'm looking for. The sun here is pretty bright and I can't always see my ipad even with sunshade and a screen cover. Even when I can, when I look at the ipad and look back up, many times I can't find my drone in the sky without taking it higher or performing an RTH. I've read everything I can find on them and most of the problems I've seen are heat related and it does get warm here during the summer especially. Does the 2019 version have heating problems or any other problems that may make me regret a decision to buy them. They really do seem to be a great alternative.

I saw these glasses in an advertisement and thought they would be just what I'm looking for. The sun here is pretty bright and I can't always see my ipad even with sunshade and a screen cover. Even when I can, when I look at the ipad and look back up, many times I can't find my drone in the sky without taking it higher or performing an RTH. I've read everything I can find on them and most of the problems I've seen are heat related and it does get warm here during the summer especially. Does the 2019 version have heating problems or any other problems that may make me regret a decision to buy them. They really do seem to be a great alternative.
if you are wearing the glasses to fly your drone which of course you will be, then dont forget you will need a spotter close by to you to keep VLOS on the drone as you will not be able to during the flight

if you are wearing the glasses to fly your drone which of course you will be, then dont forget you will need a spotter close by to you to keep VLOS on the drone as you will not be able to during the flight

Hi old man mavic. Hope you are doing well. These glasses apparently allow you to see the drone and at the same time you can see what the camera sees. I think they call it augmented reality or something like that. That way you can legally fly the drone without a spotter. It sounds like the best way for me to go if they really work and so far I haven't heard anything else besides occasional disconnects and overheating. I was just trying to find someone that had the new version that may know if it is any better.

Take care and happy flying!

Hi old man mavic. Hope you are doing well. These glasses apparently allow you to see the drone and at the same time you can see what the camera sees. I think they call it augmented reality or something like that. That way you can legally fly the drone without a spotter. It sounds like the best way for me to go if they really work and so far I haven't heard anything else besides occasional disconnects and overheating. I was just trying to find someone that had the new version that may know if it is any better.

thanks for your reply i looked them up and you are right they are not what i thought they were, my mistake ,perhaps if you could try some before you purchase them to be sure they are suitable for you, then decide if they are the way to go good luck hope they do the trick

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
thanks for your reply i looked them up and you are right they are not what i thought they were, my mistake ,perhaps if you could try some before you purchase them to be sure they are suitable for you, then decide if they are the way to go good luck hope they do the trick

Trying some is going to be the problem. No large stores that may carry them within an hour of me. DJI_0163.JPG

I can't really offer any advice on these googles but I can say I'm in pretty much the same predicament as you. I've had the DJI googles and the BT300's in and out of my Amazon basket numerous times. Have never pulled the plug on either.
I do know that there are numerous very helpful threads in this forum that may be of some help with your decision.
Good luck with your googles when you do decide.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I can't really offer any advice on these googles but I can say I'm in pretty much the same predicament as you. I've had the DJI googles and the BT300's in and out of my Amazon basket numerous times. Have never pulled the plug on either.
I do know that there are numerous very helpful threads in this forum that may be of some help with your decision.
Good luck with your googles when you do decide.

I know what you mean. I've got the glasses in my Amazon wish list. I've read all the posts on them and anything else I could find. If I don't hear anything real bad about them by the end of my day I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and order them tomorrow. I like the idea of the glasses more than the goggles because I don't have to have a spotter.

Reactions: awsan5 and CJH92474
I know what you mean. I've got the glasses in my Amazon wish list. I've read all the posts on them and anything else I could find. If I don't hear anything real bad about them by the end of my day I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and order them tomorrow. I like the idea of the glasses more than the goggles because I don't have to have a spotter.

Excellent, go for it man. If you like yours maybe I'll get brave and do the same.
The only reason I was considering the DJI version was because I thought maybe my grandchildren might get a kick out of the first person experience. Then again, since I mostly fly by myself, the BT300 type would be better in that scenario. Hence my fence sitting continues. ?

Excellent, go for it man. If you like yours maybe I'll get brave and do the same.
The only reason I was considering the DJI version was because I thought maybe my grandchildren might get a kick out of the first person experience. Then again, since I mostly fly by myself, the BT300 type would be better in that scenario. Hence my fence sitting continues. ?

Oh I'm sure the grandkids would love it. I definitely understand the fence. It always makes me feel better when I can show the little ones something they have never seen before. I always love the looks on their faces.

The BT-300 glasses work great. I started with the Fatshark goggles then went to the DJI goggles. The problem with both of them is you need to have someone with you because you cannot see anything around you while you are in the air. When using the BT-300 glasses it's like driving with a heads up display. You can see the screens and still see the Mavic and everything around you. they come with sun shades to help when in bright sun. I also wear a baseball cap to keep the sun from getting in behind the glasses. If you need corrective lenses here is a link to Rochester Optical that make corrective lenses that clip into the BT-300s.
I only fly with the BT-300 glasses. I also have a solution if you have a overheating problem. I found using the Epson Soar APP makes the controller run cooler.
Feel free to ask any questions i'm glad to help.

The BT-300 glasses work great. I started with the Fatshark goggles then went to the DJI goggles. The problem with both of them is you need to have someone with you because you cannot see anything around you while you are in the air. When using the BT-300 glasses it's like driving with a heads up display. You can see the screens and still see the Mavic and everything around you. they come with sun shades to help when in bright sun. I also wear a baseball cap to keep the sun from getting in behind the glasses. If you need corrective lenses here is a link to Rochester Optical that make corrective lenses that clip into the BT-300s.
I only fly with the BT-300 glasses. I also have a solution if you have a overheating problem. I found using the Epson Soar APP makes the controller run cooler.
Feel free to ask any questions i'm glad to help.
The BT-300’s are supplied with a clip in frame for those who need spectacles. Any half decent optometrist will be able to Supply and fit lenses in your prescription. What is interesting is if you only need glasses for reading you won’t need them with the BT-300’s. DJI GO is projected in a virtual 80” screen 5m in front of you.

If you wear readers, consider how they will fit behind them. No diopter adjustments turned me away from goggles or glasses. I have a Hoodman loupe that works perfectly in full sun and has an adjustable +-3 diopter.

I
If you wear readers, consider how they will fit behind them. No diopter adjustments turned me away from goggles or glasses. I have a Hoodman loupe that works perfectly in full sun and has an adjustable +-3 diopter.
If you wear readers you won’t need them with the glasses. If you can watch an 80” screen 5 meters away from you and see your drone without readers (if your using readers for the intended purpose that will likely be the the case) you won’t be trying to get them behind the glasses. They do come with a seperate nose piece so you can wear prescription glasses behind them if you want/need to also.

Reactions: Carb63 and CJH92474
I

If you wear readers you won’t need them with the glasses. If you can watch an 80” screen 5 meters away from you and see your drone without readers (if your using readers for the intended purpose that will likely be the the case) you won’t be trying to get them behind the glasses. They do come with a seperate nose piece so you can wear prescription glasses behind them if you want/need to also.

That’s not correct, those of us who are nearsighted and cant focus on the screen distance which is less than half the width of a face will need corrective lenses to see it in focus. The additional $200 corrective lenses will fix that, but sharing them will be awkward. The DJI goggles also sadly lack diopter adjustments.

The information you quoted is just how big the screen looks while using them and does not have anything to do with focusing.

Virtual screen size80" support (virtual viewing distance 5m)

Last edited:
That’s not correct, those of us who are nearsighted and cant focus on the screen distance which is less than half the width of a face will need corrective lenses to see it in focus. The additional $200 corrective lenses will fix that, but sharing them will be awkward.

The information you quoted is just how big the screen looks while using them and does not have anything to do with focusing.

Virtual screen size80" support (virtual viewing distance 5m)
Have you used the glasses? It would be a fair guess to say you haven’t. Simply because you are wrong.

You aren’t trying to focus close to your face.

Reactions: LiteWeight
Have you used the glasses? It would be a fair guess to say you haven’t. Simply because you are wrong.

You aren’t trying to focus close to your face.

I’ve owned both these and DJI goggles. The engineering of them does not include a diopter adjustment which makes it impossible to focus on the screen without eye correction for older people (like me) who have to wear strong readers to see close. Without the diopter lenses, I could use them very well with the custon corrective lenses, but my kid with young eyes complained how blurry they were with those lenses on. In order to see them sharply without correction, I litteraly had to hold them out beyond my nose to be able to see them in focus correctly.

As Glasses or goggles for one person they all would be great, if you have to wear correction and want to share them they are terrible.

Edit: dang, I meant farsighted! Its late...

I’ve owned both these and DJI goggles. The engineering of them does not include a diopter adjustment which makes it impossible to focus on the screen without eye correction for older people (like me) who have to wear strong readers to see close. Without the diopter lenses, I could use them very well with the custon corrective lenses, but my kid with young eyes complained how blurry they were with those lenses on. In order to see them sharply without correction, I litteraly had to hold them out beyond my nose to be able to see them in focus correctly.

As Glasses or goggles for one person they all would be great, if you have to wear correction and want to share them they are terrible.
Ok. I need readers (the scenario you suggested in your earlier post). I don’t need any correction with the BT-300’s and the projected screen is crystal. I asked my optometrist about whether I should consider prescription lenses. He said it would make no difference for me as the projection technology is different to typical AR glasses. He explained that for the purpose of understanding if lenses are needed consider the screen is 5 meters away, not directly in front of your eyes. EPSON provides the same advice as do Rochester and other suppliers of corrective lenses for the frames. I did try wearing the readers with the nose bridge that allows glasses to be worn behind the BT-300’s and the projected image was blurry.

If your short/long sighted you will need your prescription lenses in the supplied frames or wear your glasses.

If you have presbyopia only you don’t need to wear your readers or have lenses made.

Reactions: Johnpol
I had a set for just shy of a month (about $600 open box), used them for at least three missions, and returned them because I found them cumbersome and they shut down on me when subjected to anything higher than benign temperatures. Also, while it did help with maintaining VLOS, I found myself getting better and better at scanning the horizon anyway.

If you have corrective lenses, you indeed have options, which include attaching an extended nose bridge to wear the Moverio over your glasses. I also tried the Epson SoAR app to control my Mavic Air and found the video link to be unusable.

@AMann, @WithTheBirds Thanks for the replies. As far as sight goes, I don't have a prescription but I do need readers to read this forum but I can hold my computer out at arms length and can read it but can't type, so that doesn't work. Either way it sounds like solutions are available. I saw one more comment from someone else that had a heat problem. Amann, I see you are in SoCal. Have you had any heat problems during warm weather flying? Say somewhere near 90 degrees F.

Reactions: RickAung
I had a set for just shy of a month (about $600 open box), used them for at least three missions, and returned them because I found them cumbersome and they shut down on me when subjected to anything higher than benign temperatures. Also, while it did help with maintaining VLOS, I found myself getting better and better at scanning the horizon anyway.

If you have corrective lenses, you indeed have options, which include attaching an extended nose bridge to wear the Moverio over your glasses. I also tried the Epson SoAR app to control my Mavic Air and found the video link to be unusable.

I was wondering what you considered benign temperatures? I'll be flying in around 90 degree F temps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku