DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Parrotoid

Reactions
A couple days ago I started seeing patches of alternating black and white lines immediately upon connection. When I fly it seems to randomly show these lines on the ground, buildings, sky, etc... If I take pictures, the Pictures look normal. It’s just on my FPV. I’m using a new iPad mini 5. I’ve done a couple dozen flights and this is the first time I’ve seen this. Any help is appreciated. 7143E9EB-D417-4BA2-86F6-A9B39DDF0145.png

Those are called "zebra stripes"...they depict areas in the video that are overblown and where all detail is lost and can't be brought back (recovered). Digital cameras use this technique to show you any such areas so you can decide if you want to lower overall exposure to avoid blowing out those areas...Can be turned off in the app settings.

Thanks, I just saw I had the overexposure warning on. I turned it off and they disappeared. Newbie here. Not sure when I turned it on.

Last edited:
A couple days ago I started seeing patches of alternating black and white lines immediately upon connection. When I fly it seems to randomly show these lines on the ground, buildings, sky, etc... If I take pictures, the Pictures look normal. It’s just on my FPV. I’m using a new iPad mini 5. I’ve done a couple dozen flights and this is the first time I’ve seen this. Any help is appreciated. View attachment 108768
here is a youtube video showing those stripes and how to deal with them
goto 3:58 on the video

Youtube

They can be extremely helpful in difficult lighting situations to avoid having videos and images which might be hard to fix in post

Reactions: Parrotoid
Thanks, I just saw I had the overexposure warning on. I turned it off and they disappeared. Newbie here. Not sure when I turned it on.
The zebra stripes weren't the problem.
You can turn off the warning, but that doesn't correct what the stripes were warning about.

The zebra stripes weren't the problem.
You can turn off the warning, but that doesn't correct what the stripes were warning about.
I understand that. I had never seen them before and was wondering why chunks of my fpv were striped out. Now that I know what they are, I can turn the warning back on and use them when/if I need.

They can be extremely helpful in difficult lighting situations to avoid having videos and images which might be hard to fix in post

I find that the histogram is the most useful tool for precise exposure control. I have it on all of the time and could not live with out it. The zebra stripes are more of a blunt instrument.

I find that the histogram is the most useful tool for precise exposure control. I have it on all of the time and could not live with out it. The zebra stripes are more of a blunt instrument.
Yes, more to learn about but preferable To the stripes. Thank you.

they'll go away when the exposure is correct too...however ..whats not correct for one person could be desirable for another. You have to admit..they are real attention grabbers

Reactions: Parrotoid
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas