DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can drones get bird strikes?

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
You know how a bird gets into a jet engine and come out as a perfectly cooked turkey, or how a plane hits a bird in general and it has to land because it can't fly anymore? Do the same thing happen with quadcopters?

I ask this question because I never heard of drones hitting birds, just planes hitting birds or planes hitting drones. But is it ever the other way around where birds are the aggressor against drones?

But is it ever the other way around where birds are the aggressor against drones?
It's a rare occurrence, but anything is possible.

Reactions: Droniac
Plenty of drone bird strikes on the web DOC....... take a journey over to YouTube and enjoy the ride.

You know how a bird gets into a jet engine and come out as a perfectly cooked turkey, or how a plane hits a bird in general and it has to land because it can't fly anymore? Do the same thing happen with quadcopters?

I ask this question because I never heard of drones hitting birds, just planes hitting birds or planes hitting drones. But is it ever the other way around where birds are the aggressor against drones?
Take a look at
My bird strike

An Eagle or a Hawk will and probably take it down or fly away with it! A Seagull, Crow or a Goose will knock it down! Personal experience!

Reactions: Droniac and Greasy
Actually Doc, you should always avoid seagulls. That's generally agreed upon by all drone pilots. Predatory birds have extremely light hollow bones and would be easily severely injured by a collision with a drone. Birds are very agile but with a large flock it would be difficult to avoid a collision. Many areas are considered bird sanctuary's and drone flight is forbidden. The drone would always be the loser in all encounters with a bird and for me myself...I would feel devastated if I injured one of our fine feathered friends.

I have personally had two bird strikes. I'm assuming, both owls because both have been in late evening around 11:00PM. First was while I was hovering directly above waiting for partner to land hers. All of a sudden mine Pro Platinum started shaking violently and yawing uncontrollably to the left. I had no control except throttle which I was happy to be able to use. I brought it straight down barley missing neighbors tree. One prop was 80% gone, snapped off clean and other side was about 25% gone and all shattered on the end. Can't believe it maintained level until I was able to land. No damage other than prop. Two weeks ago I was out flying and all of a sudden lost all remote signal and could not reestablish one. Next day I tracked it down on the next block over in neighbors back yard. This time it was very different. After bird strike my drone fell down through a 100 foot pine tree and pretty much destroyed itself as it fell down through the branches and finally hit the ground. All fixed now and flies perfect, but pretty sure an owl thought is was dinner. All props destroyed because I had no idea it had been hit and props were still powered up as it fell through tree. Left rear leg ripped out of center section. Of course camera ripped out and hanging by video feed cable. Left front leg broken off. Why is it always "left leg? haha And battery popped out, laying on ground with a small hole punched through top. Battery still seems OK though. Plus lost two of my four Firehouse strobes. I was at 120 feet high. I believe from now on I will fly at around 150 feet and keep moving when I fly at night.

I have had Bee strike. On one flight I was ascending between two trees and when I reached the top, a swarm of bees attacked from the left tree. You could see the cloud of Bees move toward the Drone in a mechanical like fashion and surround it but it was not a battle these Bees would win. Once I understood that I was slaughtering bees at an alarming rate, I began descending. Again the Bees moved mechanically back to the tree.

Bees do not like the buzzing of a Drone but they are fearless. And yes, I had to remove Bee matter.

Use common sense, you're flying, they are flying,(yes) you can have a bird strike. You ask because you haven't heard of it. Apparently (according to your questions) you haven't been around long enough to have heard of anything regarding drones. Do some research and reading.

Birds have excellent avoidance software. The most I've seen while flying is them orbiting, orbiting and screeching, following me, etc. I guess birds do what's needed in order to not crash too.

Now, whenever I see it happening, I try not to dodge as if I were flying minecraft creative mode, since it's unnatural and birds don't expect it. Instead I just keep going, and if I see them getting too close I just warp out on sports mode.

Yes, drones suffer bird strikes like any other aircraft. But more common and more frightful is bird attacks. Birds usually don't attack a 747, but they can and do take out drones.

I have personally had two bird strikes. I'm assuming, both owls because both have been in late evening around 11:00PM. First was while I was hovering directly above waiting for partner to land hers. All of a sudden mine Pro Platinum started shaking violently and yawing uncontrollably to the left. I had no control except throttle which I was happy to be able to use. I brought it straight down barley missing neighbors tree. One prop was 80% gone, snapped off clean and other side was about 25% gone and all shattered on the end. Can't believe it maintained level until I was able to land. No damage other than prop. Two weeks ago I was out flying and all of a sudden lost all remote signal and could not reestablish one. Next day I tracked it down on the next block over in neighbors back yard. This time it was very different. After bird strike my drone fell down through a 100 foot pine tree and pretty much destroyed itself as it fell down through the branches and finally hit the ground. All fixed now and flies perfect, but pretty sure an owl thought is was dinner. All props destroyed because I had no idea it had been hit and props were still powered up as it fell through tree. Left rear leg ripped out of center section. Of course camera ripped out and hanging by video feed cable. Left front leg broken off. Why is it always "left leg? haha And battery popped out, laying on ground with a small hole punched through top. Battery still seems OK though. Plus lost two of my four Firehouse strobes. I was at 120 feet high. I believe from now on I will fly at around 150 feet and keep moving when I fly at night.
Sorry to hear. Man that owl had it out for you severely. Ouch. Gods Droniac

Reactions: James G.
There were 5 black birds at my girlfriends place when I was trying to happily fly my Mavic pro in the spring time. They all were chasing after it , they were trying to James gang the drone, and rape it !! I hope they got circumcised! They almost knocked it down!

I lost a parrot anafi about 700metres out due to a bird strike, parrot even replaced for a new one !! And I have had a handful of close calls from (Mod Removed Inappropriate Language)pigeons and flap flaps.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost a parrot anafi about 700metres out due to a bird strike, parrot even replaced for a new one !! And I have had a handful of close calls from dickhead pigeons and flap flaps.I did have a bird strike recently with my mini 2, lost altitude for 3-4 metres and re-gained it self. I have no doubt that bird is feeling sore lol
I’m sure that bird

I guess it could happen... https://studio.youtube.com/video/Gg57Jv3CU_0/edit

Hate birds 😉

Only have about 80 hrs flight time - so far, just a few bird encounters.

One incidence involved 2 red tails, a male and female, flying around the drone (30 ft above the ground), and eventually flew off. They were definitely curious but never came <60 feet away.

Crows around and they appear not to be interested (though I have heard of others that have had issues with them). The other day a flock of snowy egrets, about ~ 20 of them, flew around the drone, again flying at 30 ft, several times and then flew off. It was one of those cloudless perfect days and the white of the snowy egrets against the blue sky would have made great footage but I was too fixed on protecting the drone should the egrets get any closer. The small flock returned about 10 mins later, again flew around the drone a few times and then left. In both cases the egrets were about 20 feet from the drone so pretty close.

Finally, a couple of Kites, I presume male and female, came in for a close go over, they too were definitely curious. They eventually left. Just be alert, birds are certainly curious and I am always on the lookout for their presence.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929