DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I bring a drone into Russia since July 2017 rule changes

stefanzo

Reactions
Hey folks, I've read that the drone laws were changed in Russia in July 2017. Is it still ok to bring a drone into Russia???

I don't actually want to fly it there, just bring it through Russia (I'll be in St Petersburg 3 days) on my way to the glass igloos of northern Finland where i want to fly it. Don't know if I still have to register it.

If I do have to register it, how do I do it. Can find any info anywhere!

cheers

Found this on the Moscow Mayor official website... (here: Let’s fly: rules to follow when flying a drone / News / Moscow City Web Site )
Dated 27 sept 2017, after the new laws on drones in 5 July 2017, it says that registration is compulsory but not in effect until they have their act together. The laws are in place but "there is still no drone registration process at this point because a regulation on the registration process has yet to be approved"

"Currently, UAV registration is regulated by Federal Law No 291 of 3 July, 2016 On Amending the Aviation Code of the Russian Federation. According to amendments to Article 33, unmanned civilian vehicles weighing between 250 grams and 30 kg must be registered. This regulation came into effect on 5 July 2017, which means that all flying equipment from drones to radio controlled toy helicopters and planes must now be registered...

Despite the Federal Law having entered into force, there is still no drone registration process at this point because a regulation on the registration process has yet to be approved. But a draft resolution has been developed and is being prepared for the Ministry of Justice and the Russian Government.

Registration will be provided by the Zashchitainfotrans federal state unitary enterprise, which is subordinate to the Ministry of Transport. To undergo the procedure, an owner must register on the single web portal of the register system operator. The drone owner will be required to submit personal data including full name, date of birth, post and email addresses, and other information. After submitting the application, the owner will receive notification of UAV registration by email. The applicant will then receive a registration mark by post, which must be attached to the vehicle. It will include a special RFID plate. This will allow the drone to be identified from up to 300 metres away.

However, registering the drone is not the end of it. Today the airspace above Moscow is closed, which means that a special permit is needed to launch a flying vehicle. A UAV owner is required to file an application with the city Department of Regional Security and Anti-Corruption Activities.

Legal entities should indicate the full name of the company, the type of business, Primary State Registration Number, Taxpayer Identification Number, and the address and the full name of the head of the company. Individuals are required to submit their full name, insurance number of the individual ledger account, passport data, telephone number, and email address.

The following is required for an application: the aim of the flight, the date, time and location, altitude and duration of work, as well as the UAV model, ownership, state and registration numbers, serial number, noise specifications and the number of motors. The application must be submitted with an ID document.

The application will be sent to the General Staff, the Interregional Territorial Administration for Air Transport of Rosaviatsiya's central regions, Federal Guard Service, Federal Security Service's Department for Moscow and the Moscow Region, Ministry of the Interior's Moscow Main Department, Moscow Department of Transport and Road Infrastructure Development, Moscow Department for Environmental Management and Protection, and the state unitary enterprise Mosgorgeotrest.

This procedure will take no more than 24 working days. A response may be received in person, by post or via legal representative.

The registration procedure will be free. Drones weighing less than 250 grams can be used without registration.

Prior to the registration regulation coming into effect, there will be no legal consequences for owners of drones or other UAVs weighing under 30 kg. They can be owned and flown, but only if the owner has a flight permit."

Last edited:
Update: I took it to Russia, no worries. Didn't fly it, but then was able to fly it in Finland, at the glass igloos. Super cool

hey travellingtania, I'm no expert but from what i could figure there are these new laws but because they haven't set up the infrastructure I don't think they are coming into play yet. I couldn't actually find anything in english about where to register. So at this stage if you can't find anywhere to register I reckon you'd probably be alright as long as you didn't fly in the the no-fly zones. You can find them in the DJI app. There's a map saying where you can't fly (eg near airports, big tourist sites, above lots of people). Sorry I can't help you more than that. Good luck. Stef

hey travellingtania, I'm no expert but from what i could figure there are these new laws but because they haven't set up the infrastructure I don't think they are coming into play yet. I couldn't actually find anything in english about where to register. So at this stage if you can't find anywhere to register I reckon you'd probably be alright as long as you didn't fly in the the no-fly zones. You can find them in the DJI app. There's a map saying where you can't fly (eg near airports, big tourist sites, above lots of people). Sorry I can't help you more than that. Good luck. Stef

Thank you :)
I'm a "wilderness" traveller, so I am away from crowds anyways. Most importantly I want to film in Mongolia, but whilst in Siberia, if I get the chance, I'd like to get some footage also. Let's hope for the best!

I haved a BIL who is recently retired as a General in the Russian airforce
He now works in air security/safety.

He told me any drone is highly likely to be confiscated at the border and if it did get through should not be flown.

I too am traveing China Mongolia Russia in june. Will leave my MP at home.

I haved a BIL who is recently retired as a General in the Russian airforce
He now works in air security/safety.

He told me any drone is highly likely to be confiscated at the border and if it did get through should not be flown.

I too am traveing China Mongolia Russia in june. Will leave my MP at home.

Hello,

There no information about confiscating, only about heavy fines when flying it illegally. Can your friend provide any official info?

I'm currently looking to get a permit to film in Siberia also, the 24 days should be enough, and I will only get there in about 20 days or so. I hope I can take care of the Siberia permits whilst I'm in Moscow, from the organisations I've mentioned above.

Here's the latest info I found online, accurate as on 20th March 2018 - Russia Drone Laws | UAV Systems International

Thank you!

Hi, I have a similar question, I’m flying from LAX thru Moscow Sher. Airport. I would like to know if I can take my Mavic Air with me on carry-on lagguage. I have only a trasfer in Moscow and I don’t want any trouble :).

Last edited:
Hello,

There no information about confiscating, only about heavy fines when flying it illegally. Can your friend provide any official info?

I'm currently looking to get a permit to film in Siberia also, the 24 days should be enough, and I will only get there in about 20 days or so. I hope I can take care of the Siberia permits whilst I'm in Moscow, from the organisations I've mentioned above.

Here's the latest info I found online, accurate as on 20th March 2018 - Russia Drone Laws | UAV Systems International

Thank you!

Hi Tania,

Can you inform me how your trip went and did you pass customs easily in Moscow ? I'm traveling to Russia and it happens to be world cup period. I own a Mavic Air and I'm worried about getting it confiscated at the airport. However, I have searched and the only information I get is the same you provided. So.. if you happen to read this by chance, a first person report would be awesome.

Thanks !

Aloha everyone,

I'm new to the forum I'm currently in Russia in St. Petersburg to be exact. I landed June 4th and I had no problem at customs. Even with the 3 bottles of tequila I wanted to declare they just waved me on through. I also did carry all my electronics as a carry on, which included my mavic pro, 4 batt, 1 control, dslr, 3 lenses etc... no issues with me arriving in St Petersburg. I have yet to fly it in the city

I just want to confirm that I too passed customs in a breeze. Didn’t even stopped me to open my bag after the x-ray scan.

I took the propellers off my mavic air and placed them in the hold baggagr and had my mavic air on my carry.

I guess this general of the upmost rank of the Russian army who is Brother in Law to the user Bushie, must have been mislead about this intel.

I just finished flying here in Yaroslavl and St Petersburg. No problem at all I flew it at the hermitage aro and 4am as the sun was already out.

Have fun everyone who plans to fly here.

@Garcia808 Awesome tips, I'm traveling to Moscow and St. Petersburg next week and I'm planning on bringing my Mavic Air with me.
Any other advice?

Thanks everybody

It was windy so be careful. Just fly it in the early morning best shots. I just flew it in Moscow just a quick up and down. And since you have the air carry it with you always and take some great shots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose