DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I capture video "on the ground" while Mavic Pro is in the air?

tjcooper

Reactions
Can I record the video of a Mavic Pro flight on the ground (either in the RC controller or in the Goggles) while the Mavic Pro is in the air? I know a video can be recorded to SD card on Mavic Pro, but is there any way to record the Mavic Pro video to a ground station?

I spend 1/2 hour with customer service and the "chinglis" was so bad I could not understand her response. I think she was trying to tell me that Go 4 Assistant could save the video on a computer that is connected to the RC, but I could only understand about every 4th word.

So how do Mavic Pro pilots find out where there Mavic Pro crashed? The data logs are one way, but I read in the forums that pilots can see the location where the drown went down and go find them. How do they get that video? Much thanks.
tjcooper

Can I record the video of a Mavic Pro flight on the ground (either in the RC controller or in the Goggles) while the Mavic Pro is in the air? I know a video can be recorded to SD card on Mavic Pro, but is there any way to record the Mavic Pro video to a ground station?

I spend 1/2 hour with customer service and the "chinglis" was so bad I could not understand her response. I think she was trying to tell me that Go 4 Assistant could save the video on a computer that is connected to the RC, but I could only understand about every 4th word.

So how do Mavic Pro pilots find out where there Mavic Pro crashed? The data logs are one way, but I read in the forums that pilots can see the location where the drown went down and go find them. How do they get that video? Much thanks.
tjcooper
The DJI Go4 app does record and store a lower resolution version of the video on your phone/tablet. If you go to the home page of the app and look down at the bottom you will see an option named "editor" select that and you can view your videos/pictures and also edit them.
Are you talking about that? Or do you want something outside of that option?

Reactions: tjcooper
MavicCF,
bless you for a fast and meaningful response!! Does this mean everytime I use the Go4 app and have an SD card in my cell phone (which is where I store all video) that I will have a record of my last flight? Do I have to enable this somehow or does it happen automatically?

Next question: does the old flight get written over with a new flight or do they just keep updating some timestamp in the file name? Again, much thanks.
tjcooper

MavicCF,
bless you for a fast and meaningful response!! Does this mean everytime I use the Go4 app and have an SD card in my cell phone (which is where I store all video) that I will have a record of my last flight? Do I have to enable this somehow or does it happen automatically?

Next question: does the old flight get written over with a new flight or do they just keep updating some timestamp in the file name? Again, much thanks.
tjcooper
Yes, every flight is saved to your phone as long as you have the "cache locally when recording" enabled. The videos are stored in a cache on your phone and you can set how large that cache is and where it will be recorded to (SD card or other storage) by going to the general settings page in the app (see the image below). If you want all your videos saved, I would set the cache to at least 16GB.101713vyykrbme7f7rlym6.jpg

Much thanks. Do you know what resolution that video is which is stored in the cache?
tjcooper

I think 1289x720 although you also have the option of downloading the full resolution version to your phone when it's connected to the Mavic.
Edit: I meant 1280x720, not 1298x720;)

Last edited:
much thanks.....I will do this on every flight now. I have been using goggles and not cell phone on most flights recently. Having a video RECORD of my flight is very high on my safety list.
tjcooper

Reactions: MavicCF
you can also do facebook live in flight, among other platforms. Video and probably audio saved to your FB account

Neggy,
I have a cell phone without SIM (cost $20 at Simple Talk) and I have no intention on getting an account just to do FB. I put a 64GB card in Samsung SENTA and it will not hold all my flight video and log files while flying. I am still trying to find the program that will read out the .dat files from RC (they are different from .dat on AC) and tell me what happened. My biggest concern is having the Radar Map red triangle point in the correct direction. It is always 90 deg to real nose direction of drone. This is apparently a well known problem for DJI.
tjcooper

Neggy,
I have a cell phone without SIM (cost $20 at Simple Talk) and I have no intention on getting an account just to do FB. I put a 64GB card in Samsung SENTA and it will not hold all my flight video and log files while flying. I am still trying to find the program that will read out the .dat files from RC (they are different from .dat on AC) and tell me what happened. My biggest concern is having the Radar Map red triangle point in the correct direction. It is always 90 deg to real nose direction of drone. This is apparently a well known problem for DJI.
tjcooper
There are several different DATs on the phone, so make sure you have the right one. If you are trying to read the files off the controller itself, it can't be done.
If you want to, you can upload your AC DATs and we can take a look at them and try to find the problem.

@msinger
Do you have a reference to a thread that can read the .dat files off the RC? Much thanks.
tjcooper
Are you referring to your phone/tablet, or the actual transmitter? The transmitter does not store DATs, and no one has ever figured out how to read the files it does store.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SFC