DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I do this with Litchie or Dronelink?

Strat919

Reactions
Hi..... I flew RC for many years, but am new to drones. I purchased the Mavic Pro 2 for a single purpose. I need to get aerial photos from a track of land about 1/8 mile wide and 1/2 mile long. It will be looking straight down. I cannot use google for copyright issues, along with needing better detail. I know Dronelink and Litchie will do what I want, but am not sure about one thing.
I see everyone starting and stopping recording at various way points, but I want to take pictures every x amount of seconds for the entire flight.... to later stitch in a photo editing software. Can this be done in either software? I have already purchased Litchie and will purchase Dronelink if required.

Hi..... I flew RC for many years, but am new to drones. I purchased the Mavic Pro 2 for a single purpose. I need to get aerial photos from a track of land about 1/8 mile wide and 1/2 mile long. It will be looking straight down. I cannot use google for copyright issues, along with needing better detail. I know Dronelink and Litchie will do what I want, but am not sure about one thing.
I see everyone starting and stopping recording at various way points, but I want to take pictures every x amount of seconds for the entire flight.... to later stitch in a photo editing software. Can this be done in either software? I have already purchased Litchie and will purchase Dronelink if required.

The very best way to do that would be to use dronedply for the 3D mapping tool ,might be a bit overkill but you will get the pictures to stich up and impress the clients if you go full 3D since you will have the pictures.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

Last edited:
The images need to be flat 2D images. I am getting the images for the purpose of importing into Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 as terrain. Is there a way to get the drone to start taking still images on launch and continue taking them all the way till landing at desired time intervals? All images will be taken straight down. What I need is... for it to follow the waypoints while continually taking images.

The images need to be flat 2D images. I am getting the images for the purpose of importing into Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 as terrain. Is there a way to get the drone to start taking still images on launch and continue taking them all the way till landing at desired time intervals? All images will be taken straight down. What I need is... for it to follow the waypoints while continually taking images.
So the way the mapping works is to take the 2D image first , this is the best way to cover , its the second step using the 3D Software to convert those pictures . Once you get the batch of pictures you can stitch what you need for your project .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain and Land on Water.

I'm thinking at the height I need for the images I would only need one track each way (there and back) to cover the area I need. So I assume I need Dronelink and not Litchie to achieve this? Through the mapping feature of Dronelink, it automatically determines the number of shots needed for correctly stitching the images? Sorry..... I'm a newbie here:)

I'm thinking at the height I need for the images I would only need one track each way (there and back) to cover the area I need. So I assume I need Dronelink and not Litchie to achieve this? Through the mapping feature of Dronelink, it automatically determines the number of shots needed for correctly stitching the images? Sorry..... I'm a newbie here:)
Yes , we have a client that just recently did the his entire block , and it lets you know how many pictures and how many batteries and , what was amazing was that after the drone lands and you put the new battery in , it automatically goes to the last place it flew and starts taking pictures again. Very cool.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.

So just to be clear, you are talking about Dronelink app? Do you know which version I would need to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help!

So just to be clear, you are talking about Dronelink app? Do you know which version I would need to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help!

To work with the Mapping you want : DroneDeploy
To work with the 3D modelling you want: Agisoft Metahape Pro.

Reactions: ChrisOutdoors
I'm a little confused on the different software. For my tiny project that should take around 30 min, Drone deploy seems like an overkill. I'm not a professional and I'm only doing this one time. The Dronelink hobbyist premium includes mapping missions. Do you think this might get the job done?

I'm a little confused on the different software. For my tiny project that should take around 30 min, Drone deploy seems like an overkill. I'm not a professional and I'm only doing this one time. The Dronelink hobbyist premium includes mapping missions. Do you think this might get the job done?
Yes the the drone link will work, but the Drone Deploy is fully Autonomous where as if you drone link detects a disconnect it will stop the mission where as the Drone Deploy will continue .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the Storm.

based on your question it doesnt seem like you're doing a mapping job yet everyone is mentioning it. (correct me if im wrong) I think Litchi will suffice. You are able to have multiple waypoint even if its in a straight line. Just create the flight path adding waypoints however far apart you need on that path. At each waypoint assign the action you want to happen. Theres a photo capture interval option that you can to in seconds or feet. I too think the other apps mentioned is a little much for what i understand you need. hope this helps.

based on your question it doesnt seem like you're doing a mapping job yet everyone is mentioning it. (correct me if im wrong)
He wants a lookdown image of an area of 40 acres.
That's mapping.
Although people suggest it all the time, Litchi isn't a mapping app and to program it to complete the mission properly would be complicated.
Even with keeping the overlaps down to just 50%, it would require about 100 images as shown by this example I set up in DroneDeploy.
i-9VSQrhw-L.jpg

Dronedeploy would take less than a minute to program for the task and simplify the flying and image acquisition.

Thanks for your input:) I just purchased the Mavic Pro 2 two days ago and have flown it once. I will fly it a lot over the next week to get a feel for it. I need to do some tests to see how high I need to be to do 2 passes and get all of the ground coverage I need.
I also just ordered the Mini 2 today just to play around with and the fact it weighs less than the 250 grams. I know the SDK hasn't been released and none of these apps work with it, but I wonder if that will change? Anyone heard anything about that?

Also, anyone know approximately how high I need to be with a mavic pro 2 to cover a width distance of 717 feet in 2 passes? The actual measurement is 2470x717 feet. I will be shooting stills at max resolution, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
I think drone harmony will do this for free it doesn't say it but downloading the app gives you unlimited access to top down missions for free as long as not for commercial use. Not sure if if stitches just let's you take the images. Good luck!

I think drone harmony will do this for free

The recreational (free) version of Drone Harmony would almost certainly do what the OP wants but it’s worth noting that it’s only for Android devices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+