DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly a drone on my Canadian Work visa?

bentilley

Reactions
I’m currently here on an IEC work permit, living in BC right now. I have a registered (in the UK) mavic 2 drone and I read that I have to have a SFOC certificate as I am not a permanent resident, but I am a temporary resident with an address, license, job. Does anyone have any idea to what the rules would be for me?
All I wanna do is take some photos of the beautiful colours in the trees rn haha. I can’t seem to find any info online.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland bentilley.

I can't help you with the rules of Canada.

But I can welcome you to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

I’m currently here on an IEC work permit, living in BC right now.
All I wanna do is take some photos of the beautiful colours in the trees rn haha. I can’t seem to find any info online.

Welcome.
There are lots and lots of Canadian drone pilots on this forum but this sub-forum is for check-ins. Nothing wrong with that. You were right to put your question here, but if you don't get an answer right away, you might post the question again in a different sub-forum. Many of our members go to their favorite sub-forums without looking at this one, which is merely a place to "check in."
Thanks for joining - this is a great group of people. Enjoy

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and views from your part of the world.

Assuming you have your license in the UK why don't you just take the Canada Pilot test from the Transport Canada site?
The basic license is only $10 Cdn and you need to get 65% correct to pass. You get your certificate instantly.
You can google most of the answers as you take the test but it's asp wise just to review the material from the TC website before

I’m currently here on an IEC work permit, living in BC right now. I have a registered (in the UK) mavic 2 drone and I read that I have to have a SFOC certificate as I am not a permanent resident, but I am a temporary resident with an address, license, job. Does anyone have any idea to what the rules would be for me?
The short answer is no. The longer answer is you need at least a Basic Pilot's license and a registration for your Mavic 2. To be able to take the Basic Pilot's exam you need either a GCKey issued by the Government of Canada or an account with a sign-in partner, (a bunch of financial institutions qualify). Then, as noted above, you need to pass the Basic Pilot's exam. It is not expensive and certificate issuance is immediate as is aircraft registration. Your Mavic must be marked with its registration number and you must have your Basic Pilot's license with you when flying. You will find the video series at DonDronesOn.com more than useful. For what it's worth, I passed the Basic exam without prior studying but with four search windows open at once.

Look-up Don Joyce on YouTube or facebook. This the guy with all the answers.
And Welcome to the forum :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder