DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I get a quick analysis/review of graphic re antenna issue?

Marc.Lip

Reactions
Hi all:
New pilot here incrementally trying out different and more adventuresome little missions as I learn how it all works. Yesterday in Malibu, I walked down about 50-75 foot bluff and had a few maiden flights over the ocean. Everything was lovely and got some beautiful footage. On my last flight, I flew the opposite way, back UP and OVER the bluff toward Pepperdine (see attached) and when I got about 275m away, I got the Weak Signal error several times and being new, I panicked and just flew back home. The Mavic was responsive the whole time, but again, being new I didn't know exactly what the protocol was for dealing with a weak signal.

Do we think that I may have gotten this because while the Mavic was about 100 feet high and I obviously had LOS the whole time, the controller was having weak signal because i was below the bluff? On other flights at this exact location, I flew over the ocean much further and had no problems. I am also well aware, that once you approach that area (pepperdine university) it is considered the Santa Monica National mountains and that is a no fly zone (wasn't going to fly into it). Approaching that area, however, would not have spit out the "weak signal" error, correct?

Also, for a rookie, could you give brief input?
  • In the above scenario, should i have just flown a little further, different angle to see if the issue would have dissolved (I panicked and came right back to me)
  • During startup of flight, I got one (and one only) "strong wireless interference - fly with caution" message. My setup is always the same. I have an iPad mini which is tethered to my iPhone which is in my backpack. I'm guessing the interference message is unrelated to my personal equipment and something else.
Once again, thanks to all in advance who take time to help us rookies with what must be seemingly entry level and obvious questions. Just trying to be responsible and learn everything I can. And generally you don't learn until something goes wrong. :)

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Annotated Screen Shot.jpg
    Annotated Screen Shot.jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi all:
New pilot here incrementally trying out different and more adventuresome little missions as I learn how it all works. Yesterday in Malibu, I walked down about 50-75 foot bluff and had a few maiden flights over the ocean. Everything was lovely and got some beautiful footage. On my last flight, I flew the opposite way, back UP and OVER the bluff toward Pepperdine (see attached) and when I got about 275m away, I got the Weak Signal error several times and being new, I panicked and just flew back home. The Mavic was responsive the whole time, but again, being new I didn't know exactly what the protocol was for dealing with a weak signal.

Do we think that I may have gotten this because while the Mavic was about 100 feet high and I obviously had LOS the whole time, the controller was having weak signal because i was below the bluff? On other flights at this exact location, I flew over the ocean much further and had no problems. I am also well aware, that once you approach that area (pepperdine university) it is considered the Santa Monica National mountains and that is a no fly zone (wasn't going to fly into it). Approaching that area, however, would not have spit out the "weak signal" error, correct?

Also, for a rookie, could you give brief input?
  • In the above scenario, should i have just flown a little further, different angle to see if the issue would have dissolved (I panicked and came right back to me)
  • During startup of flight, I got one (and one only) "strong wireless interference - fly with caution" message. My setup is always the same. I have an iPad mini which is tethered to my iPhone which is in my backpack. I'm guessing the interference message is unrelated to my personal equipment and something else.
Once again, thanks to all in advance who take time to help us rookies with what must be seemingly entry level and obvious questions. Just trying to be responsible and learn everything I can. And generally you don't learn until something goes wrong. :)

Thanks again.

In order to make it easier for someone to take a look, I put the info on AirData.
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones
As you can see (I think) it has "Minor Signal Errors" but should that be enough to fly it back, i.e., when I got the original signal erorr message on the controller?
Thanks again advance for any help you can provide!

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest