DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I instll the DJI Fly app onto a Fire HD 10 Tablet? (Mavic Mini)

mraroid

Reactions
Hi...

My Samsung Galaxy S9+ screen is 5 and 5/8th of a inch long by just a whisker under 2 and 3/4s of a inches wide. I would like something bigger. I saw a new Fire HD tablet on Amazon for $109.99 with free prime shipping. The actual screen size is 8 and 1/4 inch X 4 and 1/4 inch. But in the remarks about this tablet, it says that you can not get access to the android app store on this tablet. I think you can probably use a cable or a cable and a flash drive to move data over to this tablet. But i worry that the app for my Mavic Mini will not work if I move it over.

Is anyone here using this tablet? Is the DJI app I need for my Mavic Mini available on the Amazon store that is on this tablet?

Here is a link to the tablet on Amazon for reference:

I am looking or a lower cost solution for a larger screen. All suggestions welcome. My one requirement is that I perfer a screen resolution that is at least 1920 X 1080 or better.

Thank you.

mraroid in Salem Oregon

Thank you Lastrexking..... After watching many You Tube videos I got the impression that most tablets were supported. But after reading the links you refered me to, I see that DJI only offically supports cell phones, and nothing more.

I will look into the 7th generation 10.2 inch iPad. A bit large for me, but several folks say it works with the Fly app for my Mavic Mini. But even if I do not want one to connect to cellular, I need buy one that will, as only the celluar models have built in GPS which I would want.

Gez! it will be very costly to move from my baby 5 5/8th X just a whisker under 2 and 3/4s inch screen.

Running out of money fast.

mraroid

Reactions: Lastrexking
Thank you Lannes....

I do not know very much about Apple products. Do you know if this unit in your post can be upgraded to the current Mac OS?

The price is right. Thanks so much.

mraroid

Thank you Lannes....

I do not know very much about Apple products. Do you know if this unit in your post can be upgraded to the current Mac OS?

The price is right. Thanks so much.

mraroid

The iPad Mini 2 supported all major versions of iOS from iOS 7 to iOS 12. In June 2019, Apple announced that it will drop support for the iPad Mini 2 with the release of iPadOS, along with the iPad Air and the iPad Mini 3.
A lot of people recommend staying on IOS 10, as this is less hardware intensive than the latest versions of IOS

I'm using an Ipad Mini 4 on IOS 13.3. If you wanted to guarantee it would continue to work in the future, I'd look towards a Ipad Mini 4 but it's unfortunately double the price.

This is a list of compatible devices to consider as well, light blue is the DJI Fly compatibility.

Last edited:
What a great resource Lannes.... This is exactly what I have been looking for. Also, I see that WiFi tablets that have no GPS can use a stand alone bluetooth unit. All new to me.

Thanks so much.

mraroid

Hi...

My Samsung Galaxy S9+ screen is 5 and 5/8th of a inch long by just a whisker under 2 and 3/4s of a inches wide. I would like something bigger. I saw a new Fire HD tablet on Amazon for $109.99 with free prime shipping. The actual screen size is 8 and 1/4 inch X 4 and 1/4 inch. But in the remarks about this tablet, it says that you can not get access to the android app store on this tablet. I think you can probably use a cable or a cable and a flash drive to move data over to this tablet. But i worry that the app for my Mavic Mini will not work if I move it over.

Is anyone here using this tablet? Is the DJI app I need for my Mavic Mini available on the Amazon store that is on this tablet?

Here is a link to the tablet on Amazon for reference:

I am looking or a lower cost solution for a larger screen. All suggestions welcome. My one requirement is that I perfer a screen resolution that is at least 1920 X 1080 or better.

Thank you.

mraroid in Salem Oregon

Hello, mraroid
I was in much the same boat as you re possibility of using a Fire. what I ended up doing is purchasing a refurbished ipad mini 4 and a slightly longer OTG cable so as to be able to connect the controller to the ipad mini 4. the cable was just a few dollars from amazon . works great finally.
Cheers,
Steve B.

Hello, mraroid
I was in much the same boat as you re possibility of using a Fire. what I ended up doing is purchasing a refurbished ipad mini 4 and a slightly longer OTG cable so as to be able to connect the controller to the ipad mini 4. the cable was just a few dollars from amazon . works great finally.
Cheers,
Steve B.

Hi Steve58B... OK, thanks so much. I will look again at the mini 4 and check it out. I wanted to buy a tablet that could take the current OS and perhaps be new enough so I could upgrade the OS in the future. I worry that I will spend some $$ on something and then apple will stop supporting it.

The screen of my cell phone is 5 and 5/8th of a inch long by just a whisker under 2 and 3/4s of a inches wide. I want something bigger, but not super large. I am going to fly again when the rain stops (I am in Oregon - that may not happen until July). I am going to turn up the brightness on my phone all the way and see if that helps.

Thank you for the help.

mraroid

I used Fire 8 and it was fine except that it has no GPS so RTH to RC was not an option. Now use a Huawei Mediapad.

Model KOB - WO9
Think its 8 inches - might be 9!

Is it this one Charliej:

Can you pull up GPS satellites in the DJI Fly app using this unit? Overall, how do you like it? Brighter then your cell phone, or maybe a larger screen?

mraroid

This looks like a newer model. I had no GSM facility. I dont have it anymore as without the GPS it did not do what I needed so put it back on ebay!

I have the Huawei mediaPad M5 wifi but it also as GPS built in as I think most Android tabs have GPS nowadays

This looks like a newer model. I had no GSM facility. I dont have it anymore as without the GPS it did not do what I needed so put it back on ebay!
Sorry I am talking rubbish! I do have the mediapad. It's the Fire HD 8 that I sold on. My Mediapad is GOOD. My only comment is that it does not cache my videos to the pad so I can not review immediately. Losing my marbles - older age!v

I just tried installing DJI Fly 1.2.2 on m Fire HD 10 tablet and it did not work. I went to DJI and downloaded the apk directly, all seemed to be working but at the end it said "app not installed"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji