DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I play 4k video at a lower resolution without conversion?

Gobuchul

Reactions
I do not have a 4k capable computer or TV.

However, I was wondering if it was possible to record 4k on my MPP and then play it back at a lower resolution without a lengthy conversion process?

This would allow me to watch my video in 4k when I do have the hardware.

I record with the MA in 4K most of the time (unless I want slowmotion) and have no problem of playing/editing it on a normal Macbook Air (which is not 4K). The advantage to me is, that I can zoom in while editing and create some effects that are harder to create if I record in HD (1080).

Since I use my videos mostly to publish on YT, and most people watch them at normal screens, there is no problem with the visible quality for the average viewer.

to consider: 4K is a lot of data to process, so even if your screen is not showing 4K, your processor must be able to handle the amount of data.

to consider: 4K is a lot of data to process, so even if your screen is not showing 4K, your processor must be able to handle the amount of data.
It can't. I don't normally have any need for super fast machines.

I normally use my laptop which has an Intel i7 @2.1ghz with 8GB of ram. It can't cope with 4k video files. My desktop is an office machine and can't handle them either.

I guess I might need to upgrade.

...I guess I might need to upgrade.
You may only need to upgrade your video card but depending on your laptop model and age it may be better to replace it (like putting lipstick on a pig; it may work but it is still a pig). Make sure the replacement specs exceed the requirements of your video editing software.

Yes. Most more recent non 4K smart TV will simply rescale the 4K to fit the display without any need to transcode your 4K file.

Reactions: Thomas B
I got a mid 2012 MacBook Pro, upgraded the HDD to a SSD and upped the RAM to 16gb and I can edit the 2.7k footage from my Mavic Mini absolutely fine. If I need to edit 4k I will use proxy files in Final Cut Pro, that is the main reason I got the Macbook as final cut pro allows you to very easily edit proxy files.

It's by no means amazing, and I'm sure someone who is experienced would find it slow, but for my basic editing ability its more than enough.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy