DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I really trust this map?

Possums

Reactions
Can I trust this map to fly around my house and the neighborhood? Here is a screenshot showing my house Marietta Ga. on the latest
FLY SAFEGEO ZONE MAP. Clip1.jpg

Another map shows I am 4.5 miles from the airport to the north "McCollum". So............

Can I trust this map to fly around my house and the neighborhood? Here is a screenshot showing my house Marietta Ga. on the latest
FLY SAFEGEO ZONE MAP. View attachment 72233

In my neck of the woods, I get low flying choppers all the time. Police, news, military. The fact that you are so close to Dobbins would make me extra careful. They have a bunch of military traffic going in and coming out of there.

Yeah, if this map can be trusted, I'm north of the Dobbins traffic, south of McCollum airport and west of Kennesaw Nat Park - if the map is OK to use.

Based on my sectional and AirMap, you’re in either Dobbins’s or McCollum’s airspace (you appear to be right on the line between the two). Unfortunately LAANC isn’t available there yet, so it requires manual authorization if you are operating under part 107. Notification rules would apply if not.

Try using the “UAV Forecast” app. Even the free version allows you to check multiple “No-Fly” sources in their map including... FAA TFRs, DJI NFZs, US National Parks, Airports & even has an adjustable range guide. Plus their Wind Profile feature is great (allows you to see wind & temperature info at different altitudes.

Sorry it sounds like I’m working for the app developer (I’m not). And I know there are other apps that have some if not all of the same functionality; this one just works well for me with all of the features rolled up in a free, easy to use platform.

If you get time, open up their map section and compare it to your current one. Or if you really want to be safe, you can go as far as calling the Flight Services Station at 1-800-WX-BRIEF for up-to-date TFRs.

00A6D25C-371D-4C41-9393-C6F356A03010.jpeg631C1FE3-84A2-4AB2-9C01-19B26C3CA4A5.jpeg1D4D025E-7A49-48BE-AE06-091E16270902.jpegF7929BEF-C4C8-4235-8232-D80A654C111C.png

Here is my address:
554 Hardage Trace
Marietta, Ga. 30064

I would be nice if I could use the FLY SAFEGEO ZONE MAP - if I need to show someone (neighbors) that it is OK to fly here.
I am sure I could find a map that says I can't.
So far nobody has been a problem, but you never know.

Here is my address:
554 Hardage Trace
Marietta, Ga. 30064

I would be nice if I could use the FLY SAFEGEO ZONE MAP - if I need to show someone (neighbors) that it is OK to fly here.
I am sure I could find a map that says I can't.
So far nobody has been a problem, but you never know.

I'm still not clear what you are asking. The map that you started with is the DJI geofencing map. It shows that you are not in a geofenced location. However, that doesn't define the requirements to fly there - which also depends on whether you are flying recreationally or under Part 107.

And you did not have the warning zone or enhanced warning zone layers turned on. The enhanced warning zones add the 5-mile circle around airports that is relevant to recreational flying:

Looking more closely:

You are inside the enhanced warning zone. Actually it looks like it has the wrong radius, since you are only 3.5 miles from the airport it ought to extend further. Anyway - for recreational flight you need to call the airport to notify. You are over 5 miles from Dobbins AFB to the south east, so no requirement to call them.

From a Part 107 perspective you are in surface Class D airspace associated with Dobbins AFB, and so you would need FAA authorization to fly.

It's also important to note that since this thread was created, the FAA Rules for Hobby flights have changed and this area in Surface Class DELTA and you would need Authorization to fly or fly at an already approved flying site..... this is for HOBBY flight.

If Part 107 you simply need to submit a request within LAANC to fly at your desired location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada