DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I stand on something to extend my flight ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Question, so if I am in an area that has a LAANC requirement with 200 feet max ceiling but I am able to go up a 5 story parking garage.. Does this man i can fly 200 feet above the parking garage top?

Thanks,

Venom

that sort of height restriction probably means that there will be other aircraft flying below the normal minimums for safe flight ,maybe the glide path to an airport or close to a helipad so would you want to fly above the 200 ft agl height that is in operation i think you already know the answer

that sort of height restriction probably means that there will be other aircraft flying below the normal minimums for safe flight ,maybe the glide path to an airport or close to a helipad so would you want to fly above the 200 ft agl height that is in operation i think you already know the answer
Actually I'm asking for a specific reason and a specific task and yes it's in the vicinity of a air port but if LAANC approves I want to know the interpretation of the law and would I be within legal right.

Common sense always wins with me and I am applying the same rules to this. The area I want to fly has a office building higher than the parking garage I just can't get on the roof there and I'm allowed on the top of the garage.

i would think that irrespective of what height you took of from then the 200 ft AGL limit would still apply ,thats my interpretation of it ,but not being in the States i could be wrong but to me an altitude limit, is an altitude limit full stop.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
i would think that irrespective of what height you took of from then the 200 ft AGL limit would still apply ,thats my interpretation of it ,but not being in the States i could be wrong but to me an altitude limit, is an altitude limit full stop.
I welcolm your opinion, let's see what others say and I'm glad it's not as cut and dry yet lol

Reactions: old man mavic
I welcolm your opinion, let's see what others say and I'm glad it's not as cut and dry yet lol
Yes. If you calibrate your compass when standing on a mountain 3km high then 3km would be 0m.

From THIS (Drone Launch Academy) this may help you

Practice Questions about MSL and AGL
Understanding the difference between AGL and MSL is also important if you want to obtain a remote pilot certificate from the FAA.
To receive this certificate, you must first pass the FAA’s remote pilot exam, which is commonly referred to as the Part 107 Test.
Below, we’ve provided you with a couple of sample questions (along with explanations about why each answer option is correct or incorrect) so that you can test yourself to see if you truly understand the difference between MSL vs. AGL.

Question 1: You climb up 13 flights of stairs to the roof of your apartment building, which is approximately 130 ft. tall. What can you know for sure?

A: You are at 130 ft. AGL

B: You are at 130 ft. MSL

C: You are at both 130 ft. AGL and MSL

D: You are at neither 130 ft. AGL or MSL

If you guessed A, you’re right! You know for certain that you are 130 ft. AGL because you are 130 ft. above the ground below you. Answer B and C are incorrect because you do not know for certain if you are 130 ft. MSL because you did not receive information about how high above mean sea level the land that the apartment building is located on is. D is also incorrect because you can know for sure that you at least one part is true—that you are 130 ft AGL.

Yes. If you calibrate your compass when standing on a mountain 3km high then 3km would be 0m.
Yes but he asked about on top of a building - see post #7

Question, so if I am in an area that has a LAANC requirement with 200 feet max ceiling but I am able to go up a 5 story parking garage.. Does this man i can fly 200 feet above the parking garage top?

Thanks,

Venom
The altitude limits in LAANC are above ground heights so you drone cant fly over 200 ft from the surface of the ground. If you fly over a hill you can still 200 ft above the hill. Your location is meaningless though. It’s the drones location that matters

where did calibrating the compass come from, he is asking about flying in restricted air space with an altitude limit of 200 ft

How is the 200 ft ceiling described ?
IANAL .. but If says 200 ft above the level of the ground under the drone then you would measure from the ground and if it says or "200 ft above selected launch point" tall buildings would be a help and hills would be a problem.

I have a tall step ladder, but here climbing it and launching doesn't get a message out to passing helicopters to go a few feet higher so the law here doesn't give me extra for using the ladder. I'm in a different jurisdiction , maybe yours would :)

From THIS (Drone Launch Academy) this may help you

Practice Questions about MSL and AGL
Understanding the difference between AGL and MSL is also important if you want to obtain a remote pilot certificate from the FAA.
To receive this certificate, you must first pass the FAA’s remote pilot exam, which is commonly referred to as the Part 107 Test.
Below, we’ve provided you with a couple of sample questions (along with explanations about why each answer option is correct or incorrect) so that you can test yourself to see if you truly understand the difference between MSL vs. AGL.

Question 1: You climb up 13 flights of stairs to the roof of your apartment building, which is approximately 130 ft. tall. What can you know for sure?

A: You are at 130 ft. AGL

B: You are at 130 ft. MSL

C: You are at both 130 ft. AGL and MSL

D: You are at neither 130 ft. AGL or MSL

If you guessed A, you’re right! You know for certain that you are 130 ft. AGL because you are 130 ft. above the ground below you. Answer B and C are incorrect because you do not know for certain if you are 130 ft. MSL because you did not receive information about how high above mean sea level the land that the apartment building is located on is. D is also incorrect because you can know for sure that you at least one part is true—that you are 130 ft AGL.

This answers my question and I find it interesting, since at this location I am currently higher walking up a flight of stairs than i am allowed to fly a drone lol.

As a pvt pilot I see these operational ceilings are relative to the airport’s altitude. Thus you are restricted to stay BELOW 200 feet above the airport’s elevation. Buildings and hills do not allow you to go above that 199 ft limit. A LAANC automated clearance is a clearance into controlled airspace with this agreed altitude limitation. It’s all about the airport traffic.

The altitudes listed in the FAA UAS Facility Map are absolute and do not include structures. So, if you take off from the top of a 50' structure in a 200' grid, you can't exceed 150' (indicated altitude).

17. Is the altitude displayed on the map Above Ground Level (AGL) or Mean Sea Level (MSL)?

UAS Facility Maps measure the altitude above ground level (AGL).

The maximum altitude contained in an airspace authorization is the maximum altitude a UAS Operator may fly above the ground.

Outside of Controlled Airspace, the 400' rule does come into play. Say you're flying within 400' of a 1600' antenna. As long as you stay within 400' of the tower, you can fly up to 2000'. (107.51 b1 & 2)

Outside of Controlled Airspace, the 400' rule does come into play. Say you're flying within 400' of a 1600' antenna. As long as you stay within 400' of the tower, you can fly up to 2000'. (107.51 b1 & 2)

Just want to clarify that the 400' rule only benefits Part 107 pilots. Recreational pilots have a strict 400 foot AGL limit and are not allowed to fly higher than that even if they are next to a structure.

Just want to clarify that the 400' rule only benefits Part 107 pilots. Recreational pilots have a strict 400 foot AGL limit and are not allowed to fly higher than that even if they are next to a structure.

And to add to that, the Part 107 structure allowance doesn't apply at all in a LAANC altitude grid - the quoted limit is strictly above ground level.

It's completely cut and dried - the LAANC altitude limits are clearly defined as AGL, not above launch elevation.

It's completely cut and dried - the LAANC altitude limits are clearly defined as AGL, not above launch elevation.
It is now, not at the time of that post.. hence the "yet".

It is now, not at the time of that post.. hence the "yet".
It was ALWAYS clear and without any ambiguity, either now or at time of post.

LAANC authorization is always AGL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots