DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I transport my Mavic in Thailand?

AwesoM

Reactions
Drones are illegal in Thailand unless I believe you have a permit and drone insurance. I do not intend to use my Mavic there, but wanted to know if I would get transport it without a license. My intent is to bring it to Malaysia and Singapore to fly it there. Last thing I need is customs helping hemselves to my MVP. Thoughts anyone?

Reactions: Mikewilltakeyouto
Following as i'm going one way to NZ via BKK for a week, i'll have my mavic pro with me.

Drones are illegal in Thailand unless I believe you have a permit and drone insurance. I do not intend to use my Mavic there, but wanted to know if I would get transport it without a license. My intent is to bring it to Malaysia and Singapore to fly it there. Last thing I need is customs helping hemselves to my MVP. Thoughts anyone?

Drones are not illegal in Thailand. I live here and have a Mavic Pro. Drones above 2kg are supposed to be licensed but that clearly doesnt apply to the Mavic. I have been through the airport with my Mavic many times. There are relatively few 'direct' restrictions on drones but quite a few 'indirect' at least in Bangkok - for instance, there is a good chance you will be told by a guard that you cannot fly in a particular public park.

I dont believe it is even possible to get drone insurance here.

Reactions: TallGear
I should have worded it differently, illegal is such a strong word. A new law was passed I believe in April stipulating that all drones have to be registered with civil aviation and must have accident insurance. gd to know you have been through the airport many times. This gives me some relief I can at least transport it without issues.

Reactions: H_copter
Drones are not illegal in Thailand. I live here and have a Mavic Pro. Drones above 2kg are supposed to be licensed but that clearly doesnt apply to the Mavic. I have been through the airport with my Mavic many times. There are relatively few 'direct' restrictions on drones but quite a few 'indirect' at least in Bangkok - for instance, there is a good chance you will be told by a guard that you cannot fly in a particular public park.

I dont believe it is even possible to get drone insurance here.

Drones with a camera should also be licensed, which does apply to the mavic.

Reactions: Mikewilltakeyouto
Hi All Pilot,

As I know from CAA Thailand that Mavic need to be license and also an Insurance cover.
I living in Malaysia and just wonder where I can get those insurance to purchase?

Is there anyone living in Malaysia that has be in Thailand with Mavic Pro in and out the air port without any issue. As I travel with family hope that not giving any problem at the airport.

TIA

Tomz

How do you get the license? I am planning to go to Thailand for vacation and would like to take my Mavic.

Below is part of an email I received from the Thailand Government regarding Drones in Thailand.
If you would like the attachments that came with the email, please PM me.

What is needed for UAV registration:

1. Form of Consent to the Disclosure of Personal Information

2. UAV Registration Application Form

(I have attached those 2 forms below.)

3. You need to have the insurance paperwork which covers damages caused to the body, life and properties of the third parties. The minimum sum insured is not less than 1 Million bath per time.

What should be mentioned on insurance paperwork are:

- UAV Brand

- UAV Model

- **UAV Serial Number**

- UAV Weight

- Your name as an insured on the paperwork as well

- Please also mention if this insurance policy will be covered in Thailand or Worldwide

Ps. If you cant really find insurance for UAV registration, you can search the one in Thailand as there are some companies that support for UAV registration at the moment.

4. Copy of your passport

**It will be helpful if you can provide insurance paperwork in English to reduce approval wait times**.

For your information, you should plan ahead before you bring your UAV to Thailand. When you register for UAV, I will send your personal information to National Intelligence Agency, Immigration Bureau and Office of Narcotics Control. It will take approximately up to 60 days to get the result before I can process the approval.

Below is part of an email I received from the Thailand Government regarding Drones in Thailand.
If you would like the attachments that came with the email, please PM me.

What is needed for UAV registration:

1. Form of Consent to the Disclosure of Personal Information

2. UAV Registration Application Form

(I have attached those 2 forms below.)

3. You need to have the insurance paperwork which covers damages caused to the body, life and properties of the third parties. The minimum sum insured is not less than 1 Million bath per time.

What should be mentioned on insurance paperwork are:

- UAV Brand

- UAV Model

- **UAV Serial Number**

- UAV Weight

- Your name as an insured on the paperwork as well

- Please also mention if this insurance policy will be covered in Thailand or Worldwide

Ps. If you cant really find insurance for UAV registration, you can search the one in Thailand as there are some companies that support for UAV registration at the moment.

4. Copy of your passport

**It will be helpful if you can provide insurance paperwork in English to reduce approval wait times**.

For your information, you should plan ahead before you bring your UAV to Thailand. When you register for UAV, I will send your personal information to National Intelligence Agency, Immigration Bureau and Office of Narcotics Control. It will take approximately up to 60 days to get the result before I can process the approval.
So how do I can the insurance??? any idea?

It isn't advisable to apply for permit if you don't have a work permit.

It isn't advisable to apply for permit if you don't have a work permit.
Working Permit? but I go Thai for vacation and plan to flight my Mavic at the beach area. Thai say need register but need the drone insurance. So how i need to go with it??

I understand that but in order to qualify for a permit you must have 'knowledge and skills' to operate a drone and 'knowledge' of the rules of the air. Using that 'knowledge and skills' (with or without any form of remuneration) is the legal definition of 'work' in Thailand. And it is illegal for a foreigner to work without a work permit.

The drone permits are mostly aimed at those using drones for commercial purposes (although the requirement is broadly written.) Tourists and most locals (who fly for recreation) don't usually apply for permits.

Reactions: TomzHobbyz
I am also going to Thailand with my Mavic soon.

And I found this today,
CIB tackles illegal drone flight threat

I plan to fly/film my beaches anyway
and take the risk with the local police.

I also might pack the Mavic in my checked baggage.

My aliens (race quads), transmitter, goggles and Lipos will be in my carry on.
Any thoughts on this ?

Reactions: TomzHobbyz
I was in Thailand 2 months ago for holidays. No drone flying. My wife is Thai and her brother works for the Thai Government.

He made enquiries for me ( hence the email I received and shared here). Tourists can apply for permit to fly in Thailand, providing they respect the rules and regulations ( no flying in a populated area, etc, etc)

Should you fly and get caught without a permit, then a tourist canbe liable for a hefty fine or a maximum of 6 months jail.

This is not my interpretation, but what I was told.

As per my previous comments, they do ask for a lot of info when you apply for the permit and it does take approx 60 days to process.

I understand that but in order to qualify for a permit you must have 'knowledge and skills' to operate a drone and 'knowledge' of the rules of the air. Using that 'knowledge and skills' (with or without any form of remuneration) is the legal definition of 'work' in Thailand. And it is illegal for a foreigner to work without a work permit.

The drone permits are mostly aimed at those using drones for commercial purposes (although the requirement is broadly written.) Tourists and most locals (who fly for recreation) don't usually apply for permits.
As per what you mention, will I face any issue at Thailand Airport when I departure to my home country?

I was in Thailand 2 months ago for holidays. No drone flying. My wife is Thai and her brother works for the Thai Government.

He made enquiries for me ( hence the email I received and shared here). Tourists can apply for permit to fly in Thailand, providing they respect the rules and regulations ( no flying in a populated area, etc, etc)

Should you fly and get caught without a permit, then a tourist canbe liable for a hefty fine or a maximum of 6 months jail.

This is not my interpretation, but what I was told.

As per my previous comments, they do ask for a lot of info when you apply for the permit and it does take approx 60 days to process.

Thank for the information....

I am also going to Thailand with my Mavic soon.

And I found this today,
CIB tackles illegal drone flight threat

I plan to fly/film my beaches anyway
and take the risk with the local police.

I also might pack the Mavic in my checked baggage.

My aliens (race quads), transmitter, goggles and Lipos will be in my carry on.
Any thoughts on this ?

Please update if any issue facing on the airport and local police?

[emoji106]
We leave on 20th October and will be there for about 30 days.
Hitting Koh Lanta , Koh jum.

Great happy vacation and happy flying .... waiting to see your video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU