DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I use a Wifi only Mini Ipad with a hotspot to my phone?

Sarge

Reactions
Hey People. Can I use a Wifi Only Ipad mini with a Mavic while connected to my phone hotspot to get full "online" use with maps etc?

?? To drone or to Ipad?...

Mavic has no Bluetooth so obviously

Hotspot phone in settings. Choose Bluetooth as means of connecting to hotspot..
Connect iPad to phone via search wifi network, Bluetooth shows up and connect.
Turn on drone.
Using IPad now fly either by wifi connecting drone or with the controller and iPad is now connected to a wifi network...(to your phones hotspot using Bluetooth, sparing iPad wifi to use for drone wifi or just fly with controller as normal) iPad will act like you're at home depending on your phones connection to the 3 or 4g network..

Any combination of iPads tablets or iPhones work.

I turn on hotspot on my Samsung phone, choose Bluetooth then connect to hotspot via iPad wifi network search. Shows a wifi hotspot up that will connect via Bluetooth.
Fly as you want using iPad. Can even connect another phone if using litchi app while second phone / device is connected to hotspot and use litchi view to have flight stream to that device. (Litchi offers it as part of the app)
Basically your phone is now a wifi hub using Bluetooth. iPad wifi is free to use as you wish.

Edit to say obviously enable Bluetooth on all devices.

Happy flying.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Are you connecting your Ipad to your phones hotspot USING WIFI on the ipad or bluetooth? Didnt know u could connect to hotspot via bluetooth.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

I tried it out this morning and connected Gen 4 IPad thru Bluetooth with no issues... now I need a big freaking tablet holder or a Mini :)

Reactions: Sarge
Does anyone use a MiFi Jetpack to support your iPad? Maybe my confusion is that I associate location accuracy with the iPhone hotspot.

Just be aware that wifi only iPad minis do not have a built in GPS. Therefore any functions that require GPS at the controller will not work.

First Gen Ipad Minis are no longer supported... So you have to use a Mini 2 or greater...

Reactions: Sloth469
Are you connecting your Ipad to your phones hotspot USING WIFI on the ipad or bluetooth? Didnt know u could connect to hotspot via bluetooth.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Good question, this is theory at this minute because I'm still waiting for the magic to arrive! But I often hook up the iPad via hotspot on the iPhone I think I have assumed it's Bluetooth.

First Gen Ipad Minis are no longer supported... So you have to use a Mini 2 or greater...

Yes I have discovered the mini will not down load the go app. It suggests it is no longer supported. So.....another tablet or iPhone 7 plus. Maybe leave the phone update out and get another tablet. I really don't know what I will do now.

Yes I have discovered the mini will not down load the go app. It suggests it is no longer supported. So.....another tablet or iPhone 7 plus. Maybe leave the phone update out and get another tablet. I really don't know what I will do now.

My Gen 4 IPad doesn't support the GO app but it works extremely well with the Litchi app:D

Reactions: Sarge
Mavic has no Bluetooth so obviously

Hotspot phone in settings. Choose Bluetooth as means of connecting to hotspot..
Connect iPad to phone via search wifi network, Bluetooth shows up and connect.
Turn on drone.
Using IPad now fly either by wifi connecting drone or with the controller and iPad is now connected to a wifi network...(to your phones hotspot using Bluetooth, sparing iPad wifi to use for drone wifi or just fly with controller as normal) iPad will act like you're at home depending on your phones connection to the 3 or 4g network..

Any combination of iPads tablets or iPhones work.

I turn on hotspot on my Samsung phone, choose Bluetooth then connect to hotspot via iPad wifi network search. Shows a wifi hotspot up that will connect via Bluetooth.
Fly as you want using iPad. Can even connect another phone if using litchi app while second phone / device is connected to hotspot and use litchi view to have flight stream to that device. (Litchi offers it as part of the app)
Basically your phone is now a wifi hub using Bluetooth. iPad wifi is free to use as you wish.

Edit to say obviously enable Bluetooth on all devices.

Happy flying.

Great explanation to me as a iPhone 7 plus user that just got a mini 4 wifi only and needed to do a hotspot connection.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60