DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I use my car roof as landing pad?

JayTea26

Reactions
I purchased one of those standard landing pads for my MA2.

Can I put it on the roof of my stationary car to land and take off automatically?

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

Can I put it on the roof of my stationary car to land and take off automatically?
You can but doesn’t leave much margin for error. I probably wouldn’t trust it enough for that. At some point it’s gonna miss and props will scrap up your car real good on landing

The only time I ever had an inflight compass error was after taking off with my Phantom 4 from the roof of my car. I even knew better, and I still did this. Fortunately, I was able to land it quickly in some tall grass as soon as it started generating all sorts of errors while drifting away, and lesson learned. Don't take off from the roof of a car. Landing however, you may be able to get away with, but you may also generate compass errors the next time you startup, requiring calibration. Hand launch and hand catch. Neither my Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic Air 2 have ever touched Terra Firma, and hopefully, they never will...

Same goes for some cement surfaces, they may contain lots of metal rebar, I have had compass issues when taking off from the grass after just setting the drone down for a moment on the concrete. Most cars dont have glass roofs, so best avoid it.

Reactions: Barbara and Yepyep

if it’s a convertible just make sure that you remember to put it up before landing!! Brit humour guys!

Learn to grap your Mavic out of the air by hand. It's not that difficult and safe if you do it right. I do that since years every time with both Mavic Pro 1 and Mini.
As the Fly app doesn't allow disabling the landing protection same as GO4 does, approach your hovering Mavic Air 2 from the front and grab it between thumb and two fingers behind the camera, then fully pull down the trhrottle stick with your other hand (a lanyard to the radio is very helpful) and wait until the motors will stop.
Taking off out of the hand is even more easy.

My car is roof is glass and I regularly land on the roof if it's windy and I don't want to hand catch it. When I had a car with a steel roof it was impossible.

I have a pickup truck with a raised shell cover over the bed. The bed is carpeted. I have found I can open the bed and land my MPP by backing in under cover (in bad weather) and immediately set it down - land it. Trying to go in going forward causes the sensors to go nuts. I now know I could turn the sensors off prior to landing if conditions give me the time.

Absolutely fine.

I did it 100s of times in all my drones and even in Air 2 a few times. Zero issues.

Not sure why so many are saying no? Have they tried it? I guess no

Reactions: Torque and DanaMc
Not sure why so many are saying no? Have they tried it?
I guess no
You guessed wrong.
Many have tried it and usually found that their drone would not allow take off.
Here's an example:
i-3h6Nq8P-M.jpg

And here's the result.
i-3psJrs8-M.png

Absolutely fine.

I did it 100s of times in all my drones and even in Air 2 a few times. Zero issues.

Not sure why so many are saying no? Have they tried it? I guess no
I have a van. If I try to take off too close to the van I get compass error messages. Tried it from the roof once, big compass problems.

I have a van. If I try to take off too close to the van I get compass error messages. Tried it from the roof once, big compass problems.
Yep, that’s the most likely outcome of taking off of a big metal box!

If the roof is steel, then no - it is quite likely to be at least slightly magnetized which will cause the IMU yaw to be incorrectly initialized, followed by compass errors after takeoff and uncontrolled flight.

If the roof is not steel, then it will work just fine.

Reactions: Rattydude77
Can you reverse this process that you describe?

Take off??? I wouldn’t advise it taking off from inside the covered truck bed. My experience is the drone will pop up +/- 3’. That would be an immediate crash into the cover. Probably take out a whole set of propellers.Also I have never taken off with the sensors off. I’d need to test that in the open first.

Never tried landing.. but takeoff...yikes! ...I've learned my lesson with that. I guess that's why I've never tried landing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun