DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I use New Update Offline?

ThomasFL

Reactions
Hi!

I am planning to go hiking soon in a remote region that does NOT have cell phone reception. I want to take my mavic pro with me to get some cool footage.

I got the update notification yesterday and I am sort of confused about whether I will be able to use my mavic when I do not have an internet connection. Should I update to the new version? Does anyone have experience with this? Any information about how the new update affects performance in regions without an internet connection would be great!

Also, does anyone know what DJI is trying to achieve with these new updates?

Thank you in advance!

Any information about how the new update affects performance in regions without an internet connection would be great!
The following video explains this change in detail:

Reactions: ThomasFL
Ok, thank you for the quick replies!! So if I head out to our cabin with no internet access whatsoever, I guess I had better makes sure that I have 2 or 3 devices logged into DJI go before I leave.

Thank you!

yeah just make sure you are logged to DJI before u go, one time and the restrictions are lifted
mine is logged on all the time, so even after upgrade the 800 i had no issues, and also flew with litchi, and as i said even without the smartphone attached to the controller, just for the test

In a nutshell, I think they want you to have a record of your flight so if you crash they can look at your flight records. Also you need the app to be able to see restricted areas. I don't understand why anyone with this expensive done would even want to fly without the app.

Last edited:
mrmavic is right, however u can fly it without Internet, or even without the smartphone attached, with no restrictions.. no point in that, abd need it, but the craft will fly without a problem

u can fly it without Internet, or even without the smartphone attached, with no restrictions
You will be restricted if you attempt to fly without a mobile device attached to the remote controller. See the video I posted above for more details.

You will be restricted if you attempt to fly without a mobile device attached to the remote controller. See the video I posted above for more details.

not true
i just did that this morning, with firmware .800
100 meters high and 500 meters away
than on air i connected the smartphone android 7 with litchi and continue flying

How exactly did you start everything up prior to your flight?

as i always do but this time for the sake of test i didnt connect the smartphone to the usb cable thats all
i switched on the mavic, than the RC, waited for ready to fly message, crossed the sticks, took off, flew to 100 meters high and than 500 meter away
all with the smartphone not attached
than in mid-air i attached the smartphone and continued flying with litchi

as i always do but this time for the sake of test i didnt connect the smartphone to the usb cable thats all
i switched on the mavic, than the RC, waited for ready to fly message, crossed the sticks, took off, flew to 100 meters high and than 500 meter away
all with the smartphone not attached
than in mid-air i attached the smartphone and continued flying with litchi

Can you post a screen shot of your about screen

Can you post a screen shot of your about screen

i use litchi, not go4, it doesnt run on my android 7
what about screen u want ?? connect the go4 and take a screen shot there ???
i have 2 roms on my phone so i can choose android 6 or 7, i used go4 just for the update to 800 yesterday

ok guys, the Masters are correct. it was my mistake... i did another test... prolly in 1st test this morning, I started the craft with the smartphone attached than unplugged it, so the restrictions were lifters
cause now i did another test without the smartphone attached from the beginning, and at 30 meters high it said limit reached
sorry for the wrong info before

so i have couple of questions now

this happens only from .800 ???

if i attach my phone but without internet will still be restricted ???

If your going on a trip and have not updated I recommend you do not update. While it will most likely work fine when updated you are increasing your odds of getting an NFZ message with .800
Your chances of a trouble free flying are improved if you keep the older firmware.

Rob

so i have couple of questions now

this happens only from .800 ???

if i attach my phone but without internet will still be restricted ???

Yes, this is from .800 and no, you will not be restricted just because you do not have an internet connection.

All that is necessary is that while you do have an internet connection make sure you log into your DJI account on the Go 4 app and then do not log out on the app.

You can close the app, force close the app, power cycle the device and it is all still good, you will remain logged in on the app. Just don't go to the app and specifically choose to log out.

As long as you are logged in on the Go 4 app you do not need internet access to fly.

Similarly although the aircraft needs to see a device which is logged in on the Go 4 app at the start of the flight, it does not have to remain connected.

So if you prefer to fly without your device connected, just do your initial start-up with the device plugged in then once the aircraft is ready to fly, disconnect the device running the Go 4 app and go fly...

Personally I don't recommend flying without a device connected, but I know some do like to fly that way.

As the various 3rd party apps update to use the new 4.1 SDK they will also be able to authorize flight without the need for the Go 4 app at all, check with your preferred 3rd party app developer to see if they are using the new SDK yet...

Reactions: optiplex
Well and clear answer mark_t :) thx alot
i can also downgrade to 700 i understand, but i see no need
i always fly with the smartphone connected, i dont see the use of flying without ... but in case the 4g coverage is not good in the area its good to know i can fly anyway

i use litchi , and works good

thx

Well and clear answer mark_t :) thx alot
i can also downgrade to 700 i understand, but i see no need
i always fly with the smartphone connected, i dont see the use of flying without ... but in case the 4g coverage is not good in the area its good to know i can fly anyway

i use litchi , and works good

thx

optiplex

Did u pay for the app (litchi)?

I also have a problem with my mavic, I try to update the firmware and it keeps failing anyone know how to help??

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada