DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Local Police Ask To See Drone License

Kb8mcz

Reactions
Was just a thought, I have my drone license but was wondering if flying in the United States can a police officer ask to see your drone license ?

Yes, they can; although it is doubtful if they really knew what they were looking at LOL.

As you know, for a recreational pilot in the United States it is a pilot registration card; that registration number also needs to be on all your drones on an external surface of the aircraft.

If you are a commercial Part 107 pilot, you have a separate, plastic ID card identifying you as a UAS remote pilot; you also have to have the registration certificate (with a unique registration number) for each of your drones. This number matching the registration card for that aircraft must be marked on an external surface.

Whether you are a recreational or commercial pilot in the United States you must have your pilot certificate with you in order to exercise the privileges granted by that certificate.

The only thing I can think of that would be an exception to what I stated above was if you are flying a drone (i.e. a Mavic mini) with a total weight of less than 250g; in that case you would not need to have a recreational pilot certificate or have the aircraft marked with that pilot number.

Even this instance you still have to conform to FAA rules regarding altitude, line of sight, flight over people and controlled airspace, etc.

Last edited:
that will be the case here in the UK after the 30th November

Reactions: JS1600 and Kb8mcz
They sure do in our fair city. When a neighbor complained about a several minute flight over our neighborhood a year or so back, claimed I was peeping into his windows, the policeman who showed up after I landed asked to see my registration certificate and number on the drone. He asked if I had video from the flight, or logs, I showed him all of that. He told me several sites that are often deserted, said they get lots of complaints for drones flown legally. Then he went and told my neighbor he could be cited for calling in a false report.

I've also been asked for my certificate by park managers, been glad to show it, have been offered a job when I get my 107 cert and hope it's still there when I do.

Some responses here are derisive of police and officials and my experience has been good. Shortly after Virginia legislature adopted the FAA rules, I believe they did a good job of educating our law enforcement officers and public officials about drone law and rights...

Does a Magic Pro need registration numbers?

In the US, yes, any drone that weighs more than 250 grams, 8.8 ounces, is required to be registered either for recreational use, $5 for your fleet, or commercial use under part 107, $5 per drone.

As of now, the new Mavic Mini, is the only GPS stabilized camera drone that weighs less than 250 grams, weighs in at 249. A Mavic Pro weighs 734 grams.

It's your responsibility to learn about regulations and where you can and can't fly legally. If you're flying some lightweight drone that doesn't require registration, the regulations still apply and penalties for violating them can be steep.

Google on 'FAA Drone Zone' and check it out.

Does a Magic Pro need registration numbers?

Yes ANY sUAS, flown in the US National Airspace System that meets the following criteria must be registered:

A) Weighs more than 250gr(.55lb)
B) Is flown for a purpose other than Recreational use

So if you're flying a Mavic Pro yes it needs to be registered. Here are some more information for you to read and get familiar with:

This is a higher level with more information than the above link:

They sure do in our fair city. When a neighbor complained about a several minute flight over our neighborhood a year or so back, claimed I was peeping into his windows, the policeman who showed up after I landed asked to see my registration certificate and number on the drone. He asked if I had video from the flight, or logs, I showed him all of that. He told me several sites that are often deserted, said they get lots of complaints for drones flown legally. Then he went and told my neighbor he could be cited for calling in a false report.

I've also been asked for my certificate by park managers, been glad to show it, have been offered a job when I get my 107 cert and hope it's still there when I do.

Some responses here are derisive of police and officials and my experience has been good. Shortly after Virginia legislature adopted the FAA rules, I believe they did a good job of educating our law enforcement officers and public officials about drone law and rights...

Thanks!

And registering is rather easy! Then you print out your certificate to carry when flying. Went right to Amazon and ordered a sticker kit with the number on it for my bird. Despite having to be individually printed, it arrived well ahead of scheduled delivery!

Was just a thought, I have my drone license but was wondering if flying in the United States can a police officer ask to see your drone license ?
If you tell the LEO you are flying an exempt 249g Mavic Mini as a hobbyist, there is no requirement for you to have one, and the conversation should end there. Doesn't mean it will.

License and Registration, please.

The better question is are you required to show your drone registration. The answer is yes.

In the very near, but TPD future, you will also be required to show your pilot's license. The requirement exists today, but the FAA has yet to create the test. Once the test has been implemented, one will have to carry and show proof of passing the test (AKA, a pilot's license). The test is required regardless of the weight of the drone.

Nick

Reactions: Thomas B and Kb8mcz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada