DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can magnetic interference from my MRI Scanner permanently damage the compass on my Mavic?

RawRock

Reactions
I brought my Mavic to work to download videos off of it and the MRI scanner is causing all kinds of compass chaos. Will a calibration fix everything when I get home? No permanent damage?

I brought my Mavic to work to download videos off of it and the MRI scanner is causing all kinds of compass chaos. Will a calibration fix everything when I get home? No permanent damage?

That depends on how strong a magnetic field it was exposed to. It's possible that it will need degaussing, but I would check the calibration first.

That depends on how strong a magnetic field it was exposed to. It's possible that it will need degaussing, but I would check the calibration first.

Zone 3 of the 3Tesla scanner

Gee you brought back some memories @sar104 !! Degaussing the tv in a home service call because the wife had vacuumed under it causing a purity error!! The kids thought I was a magician with my magic wand!!!

In an ideal situation where your drone is unaffected, you shouldn't need to recalibrate your compass - if your app says you do, you probably need to degauss the drone (and if you recalibrate before doing so, it could cause some strange behaviour - you're telling the drone the unusual magnetic fields are normal).

Maybe next time just... take the **** memory card out.

Mom. I wouldn’t be leaving mine around an MRI scanner. My son works with them and he says that it has on occasion pulled the glasses off his head

I just read your post and I'm wondering what you've found regarding the magnetic field exposure.
I just realized I've been storing mine on top of my media center where there are 2 huge speakers pretty close by. I got a big "compass error/recalibrate" message when I turned it on while sitting there. I hope the magnets close by haven't screwed up the sensors. It has been flying normally with no messages though.
What have you learned?
FYI: I will find a new location for storing my MPP, even though it looks pretty cool there.

Reactions: Pduncan
I just read your post and I'm wondering what you've found regarding the magnetic field exposure.
I just realized I've been storing mine on top of my media center where there are 2 huge speakers pretty close by. I got a big "compass error/recalibrate" message when I turned it on while sitting there. I hope the magnets close by haven't screwed up the sensors. It has been flying normally with no messages though.
What have you learned?
FYI: I will find a new location for storing my MPP, even though it looks pretty cool there.

The magnets won't screw up the sensors - what they might do is magnetize other components near the sensors, which would cause a problem.

Reactions: UAVNV
I have crashed my mavic under a bridge because of compass error and lost it in the river. I hope to get another, but I wouldn’t store it there and I would recalibrate the compasses every flight no matter what. They are very sensitive.

The magnets won't screw up the sensors - what they might do is magnetize other components near the sensors, which would cause a problem.
Well, so far, so good. It still flies well, but I won't be storing my MPP next to my speakers anymore.
I remember back in the picture tube days when I discovered my speakers were "sucking" the color to the corner of the screen.

I have crashed my mavic under a bridge because of compass error and lost it in the river. I hope to get another, but I wouldn’t store it there and I would recalibrate the compasses every flight no matter what. They are very sensitive.
Sorry for your loss. Flying under a bridge is not where you want to lose control - even momentarily.

My method has been to stick with a compass calibration that's working well. It's very possible to make things worse by re-calibrating. You don't always know what's under the ground where you are calibrating. There are exceptions, of course: software updates, travel to a new geographic location and probably other reasons too.

You jumped from basically giving your drone an MRI to crashing it under a bridge and claiming the compass is very senstive. Anything happen in between?

Reactions: RFaust
What have you learned?

never thought of this before, good footnote for storage in my preflight checklist [emoji1360]

It should not interfere or cause any permanent damage as the Mavics compass is a digital compass not a magnetic compass. The only problem that may occur is if you are very close and exposed it for a long period of time you can magnitize a part off the drone close to the compass location which would then throw out the digital compass when Mavic was powered on.

It should not interfere or cause any permanent damage as the Mavics compass is a digital compass not a magnetic compass. The only problem that may occur is if you are very close and exposed it for a long period of time you can magnitize a part off the drone close to the compass location which would then throw out the digital compass when Mavic was powered on.
I just watched an interesting video showing how a digital compass works. The video says the compass must be recalibrated after exposure to a strong magnetic field. It's a good demo:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929