DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Mavic follow in front of you in any of the flight modes?

chevytwonova

Reactions
Can Mavic follow in front of you in any of the flight modes?

Sorry if I missed this answer.

Have not had a ton of fly time with my drone yet due to scheduling.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Are you referring to walking toward the Mavic as it flies backwards?

If you enable the "Visual Navigation Settings" --> "Enable Backward Flying" setting in DJI GO, the Mavic will move away as the target moves toward it. You'll have to watch out for any obstacles behind the Mavic since it has no sensors behind it. Also, it won't really be following the target -- just backing away to keep the target in view.

sorry... havent got my mavic yet so i would like to ask...
how far does it stay away from the subject?
can you preset it?
or its determind when you first select it?

how far does it stay away from the subject?
can you preset it?
It'll automatically stay at the distance required to keep the subject in the frame. There is no way to preset the distance.

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
I've tried this out and it doesn't seem to really work well. If you are in a big open space, you can "push" it back by moving toward it but it will move to the side pretty quickly. You can move it back in line by moving the right way, but if you are on a trail it will not stay in front of you. Basically it will back up to one side or the other, then as you pass, it will start following you from behind.

I made a video of me unicycling with it following. Skip to 2:30 to see where I tried to "push" it. (When it hit the tree it cut off some leaves but was undamaged).

I've tried this out and it doesn't seem to really work well. If you are in a big open space, you can "push" it back by moving toward it but it will move to the side pretty quickly. You can move it back in line by moving the right way, but if you are on a trail it will not stay in front of you. Basically it will back up to one side or the other, then as you pass, it will start following you from behind.

I made a video of me unicycling with it following. Skip to 2:30 to see where I tried to "push" it. (When it hit the tree it cut off some leaves but was undamaged).
I think it veered off to the side because you were too close.....if you had it higher and further back, I think it may have beanpole to track straight.....

It would take a much stronger algorithm and better inputs to be able to stay ahead of you. The current algorithm is like pushing one end of a rope. The camera would have to determine and predict where it thinks you will be in the future, then where to position itself to be ahead of that point, then how to get to that position. Given that the firmware only knows roughly where you are, not where you're moving, this is just not going to work yet.

I guess that makes sense......I was thinking more of a straight line....definitely can't predict where you are going so wouldn't be able to do more than back pedal in a straight line until you turned and then it would do just like it did in the video and turn to keep you in the center of the frame and ultimately end up beside you and ultimately behind you...

Caveats: to make that video took 3 batteries. It doesn't always maintain sight of the target - sometimes just loses and hovers. One time I was quite far away from the controller and couldn't get it to re-acquire me. Had to ride all the way back and fly it over manually. Then again, that was all done solo, my first time using those features. I could probably do it again quicker now that I've learned how it works but this technology is very young and isn't truly great yet. The Mavic 2 Pro will probably be the one you really want (isn't it always that way?!)

Reactions: Rbruz
Wow SD104, great video! The shot that starts at 0:35...I have not been able to get it to lead from ahead like that. From 0:40 to about 0:55 it's nearly straight ahead of you and doesn't look like it's falling off to the side like it always does with me. What mode/settings for that section?

Wow SD104, great video! The shot that starts at 0:35...I have not been able to get it to lead from ahead like that. From 0:40 to about 0:55 it's nearly straight ahead of you and doesn't look like it's falling off to the side like it always does with me. What mode/settings for that section?

Thanks Nat, this was only the 2nd time using Active Track (spent 3 batteries in that field). That was in (as is most of the footage) Active Track "Profile" mode. Seems like profile mode has the most flexibility. I was able to get it to fly backward directly in front of me a few times. I will say it's a little hit or miss as the Mavic usually wants to back off to the side. But you can sometimes "push" the Mavic with your movements (see 5:05 to 5:15 as an example). You have to go very slow to start or do as I did in the video (0:35) and while in flight with a profile view of the target, have the target move in such a way as to force the Mavic into this right in front of you shot. It also helps to have the controller handy for tweaks and adjustments on the fly. I have a nice mount setup for my bike so I can see what the Mavic sees and tweak the controls or hit the E-brake (see 2:40 to 2:44) if necessary while flying/riding at the same time.

I'm SUPER satisfied with this version of the Mavic. Yes, I will want v 2.0 also :) but I think this version is a home run. I absolutely love mine (had it 3 weeks and fly a little every day). I'm amazed how far this tech has come. I still own an A.R. Drone from Parrot, bought that like 4 or 5 years ago, but the Mavic is truly the next generation.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S