DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can not calibrate compass after crash - no calibrate button

RayKnobs

Reactions
Hello...
I have had my Mavic Pro Platinum for over a year now and have never come close to crashing it. I obtained it from a friend who did crash it. I had to replace the gimbal ribbon cable. Today I was flying pretty low, I went past a metal pole and my drone started to go backwards right into the pole. It went down and hit tail first. There is a little crack in the plastic. I brought it home and when I go to launch it say "compass error. Move aircraft or calibrate compass" Moving aircraft does nothing to remove the message. When I tap the message and go to the settings screen it says "magnetic field interference detected. check the following 1. ensure that no metal objects are near the compass 2. if the problem persists, recalibrate the compass" I know there is no metal nearbye. I also no do not have the button to recalibrate so I can't even try that.

Any thought? Should I open it up? Replacing the entire GPS unit isn't a big deal if that's a suggestion.

Thanks

PXL_20210808_173551486.jpgScreenshot_20210808-133728.jpgScreenshot_20210808-133755.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Fizzbang
Ordered a new GPS, metal plate, blades, and top shell. Less than $100. Probably should have taken it apart before posting but I spend much freaking time looking for that calibrate button.

nevermind, I found the problem.
The wording in DJI's message is confusing.
A bit late now, but if you'd checked the Sensors section of the app, it probably would have pointed you to the problem and told you that the compass was not connected.

Reactions: James G.
Just to be clear: that connector came loose (probably after the crash)? What is it connected to--the DJI custom chip in the next photo?

Reactions: Chrislaf
When it fell it landed on the tail end. It crushed the metal plate that shields the GPS and severed the cable. I unplugged the cable from the main board when I removed the top shell. You can see the cut cable in the last pic. Probably can still be soldered back together but I don't have that skill.

Sorry about your crash. There is no calibration button for compass. There is an compass calibration area in your Go4 app though. It tells you to turn your Mavic in a 360 degree circle for step one after that is complete you point the nose down and do it again until it shows "calibration complete". Would you be interested in selling your damaged GPS module? If so, how much? Thanks, Jim

1628535955635.png

This is what I meant by button. I never got that option on the screen.
Let me get the new one in and working.
$25 shipped? I paid $50 for the new (used) one.

OK, I now see what you mean. I forgot to plug mine back in once and received an error message to "check redundancy". I could not get it to go into calibration mode. Obviously with wires being severed you would get the same result. I do have the ability to fix wires, but that does not mean that GPS did not suffer internal damage from impact. 25 is a bit rich for my blood to take a chance that even after repairing wires that there may be other issues.
I have a GPS in one of mine that is slow sometimes taking almost 3 minutes before acquiring even 8-9 satellites. I can buy one (new-unbranded) for 25 shipped from China, but don't want to wait.
I can do 10, but don't know if it's worth your while. I would hope it's better than throwing in trash though.
Please let me know,
Thank you,
Jim

OK, sounds good. Pretty sure you will be back up after installing another GPS and shielding plate.
Let me know about your damaged one and your bottom line for price when you get some time.
Thanks again,
Jim

Reactions: RayKnobs
New GPS is in and it's flying fine. James, if you PM me your address I'll send u the old one. If you get it working u can send me $20. If not, toss it.

Thanks Ray, If I get it working I'll be happy to send you 20 bucks. Please include your return address when you send the GPS module.

Jim G.
3542 Evans Drive
Simi Valley, CA.

The wording in DJI's message is confusing.
A bit late now, but if you'd checked the Sensors section of the app, it probably would have pointed you to the problem and told you that the compass was not connected.
When I forgot to plug mine back in I got a "Check redundancy" warning. I was checking it out without snapping upper body section completely back on and forgot about plugging GPS back in. We all know what a pain it is to get front edge unlatched without causing body damage. Felt like a fool after I figured it out. GPS also includes one of two compasses.

Going out in the mail today. I hope you can get it working
That sounds great. I'll be going out of town for a few days. Taking both of my birds too. When I get a chance I'll try to repair and install to check function. If all is well I'll be happy to send you 20 bucks. Thanks again,

I would navigate to the advanced settings at the bottom of the aircraft tab in go4, then go to sensors, and then go to compass. Once there check if both compasses are connected. It’s common for one to become damaged to disconnected during an impact causing a compass error.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143