DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Regular VR Headsets work with Mavic 2 Pro?

RokkoRokko

Reactions
I would like a headset to heighten my drone experience and am a little put off by the low FOV the DJI Goggles have, especially as I am about to invest in a Pimax 8K X with 200 degree diagonal FOV

I read an article that suggested standard VR goggles would work
I have also read that VR Googles also only work on a computer.

The Pimax has a USB connection and can display 2D imagery so would there be any reason why that should work attached to the same USB port the DJI goggles use

anyone know anything about this.

I'll likely wait until I get the Pimax so I can test it out anyway.

I would like a headset to heighten my drone experience and am a little put off by the low FOV the DJI Goggles have, especially as I am about to invest in a Pimax 8K X with 200 degree diagonal FOV

I read an article that suggested standard VR goggles would work
I have also read that VR Googles also only work on a computer.

The Pimax has a USB connection and can display 2D imagery so would there be any reason why that should work attached to the same USB port the DJI goggles use

anyone know anything about this.

I'll likely wait until I get the Pimax so I can test it out anyway.
The goggles take an HDMI input from a video source or connect directly with the drone. They do not connect via usb.

You could try some kind of HDMI to usb converter but you’d need a mobile device with an HDMI output such as a smart controller or Crystal Sky. There are other mobile devices with HDMI out puts not made by DJI of course but I don’t know if any that have a USB video output

The goggles take an HDMI input from a video source or connect directly with the drone. They do not connect via usb.

You could try some kind of HDMI to usb converter but you’d need a mobile device with an HDMI output such as a smart controller or Crystal Sky. There are other mobile devices with HDMI out puts not made by DJI of course but I don’t know if any that have a USB video output

After reading your reply I researched the DJI goggles but the article wasn't super clear but it seemed it does connect wirelessly to the drone as you say, same as the remote controller does, but not sure as I didn't see any antennae on the headset.

On the remote there is a video output USB port in the centre of the inside of the Mavic 2 pro remote controller - The manual calls it the Reserve Video Downlink port, item 8 on on page 10 of the manual

It, and the standard side port for the Vid Link to Phone, are an 'either or' system, when one is being used the other cannot be and are the only 2 video output ports on the Remote Controller.

The DJI goggles accept video in from other sources so from that I am guessing the video output from the Remote Controller will deliver an image to another headset same as it does to the connected smartphone.

I'll wait til I can test the Pimax 8K X with the system before I shell out nearly half the cost of the Pimax 8K X again for the DJI goggles

I think the VR headset should receive the video signal but then theres how to control things with the headset, the smartphone uses its touchscreen through DJI Go 4 and DJI Go 4 surely supplies the Graphic overlays over the video [controls etc]

I guess the Pimax head tracking systems could operate the Mav & Cam gimbal same as the DJI goggles do

I was hoping others on here may have tried VR Headsets with it already if they already owned one & didn't want to buy another headset of they didn't have to

If I have to buy another headset for the Mav, I guess thats the way it will have to be - I love immersion.

Last edited:
After reading your reply I researched the DJI goggles but the article wasn't super clear but it seemed it does connect wirelessly to the drone as you say, same as the remote controller does, but not sure as I didn't see any antennae on the headset.

On the remote there is a video output USB port in the centre of the inside of the Mavic 2 pro remote controller - The manual calls it the Reserve Video Downlink port, item 8 on on page 10 of the manual

It, and the standard side port for the Vid Link to Phone, are an 'either or' system, when one is being used the other cannot be and are the only 2 video output ports on the Remote Controller.

The DJI goggles accept video in from other sources so from that I am guessing the video output from the Remote Controller will deliver an image to another headset same as it does to the connected smartphone.

I'll wait til I can test the Pimax 8K X with the system before I shell out nearly half the cost of the Pimax 8K X again for the DJI goggles

I think the VR headset should receive the video signal but then theres how to control things with the headset, the smartphone uses its touchscreen through DJI Go 4 and DJI Go 4 surely supplies the Graphic overlays over the video [controls etc]

I guess the Pimax head tracking systems could operate the Mav & Cam gimbal same as the DJI goggles do

I was hoping others on here may have tried VR Headsets with it already if they already owned one & didn't want to buy another headset of they didn't have to

If I have to buy another headset for the Mav, I guess thats the way it will have to be - I love immersion.
I suppose you could be right that the DJI goggles will work via USB to the controller with the Mavic 2 like with the Spark, however, it isn’t documented to work that way with the M2, though that could just be because it’s not necessary since the goggles connect to M2 via Occusync.

The reason that might work is because the googles run a version of DJI Go 4 which can decode the digital signal from the remote. The video out isn’t like an analog video where anything that can plug into it can read the signal. It has to be decoded by the app and then can be output to third party screens.

So you’d have to find a way to install DJI Go 4 on that headset. Maybe that’s not a big deal IDK

Last edited:
I suppose you could be right that the DJI goggles will work via USB to the controller with the Mavic 2 like with the Spark, however, it isn’t documented to work that way with the M2, though that could just be because it’s not necessary since the goggles connect to M2 via Occusync.

The reason that might work is because the googles run a version of DJI Go 4 which can decode the digital signal from the remote. The video out isn’t like an analog video where anything that can plug into it can read the signal. It has to be decoded by the app and then can be output to third party screens.

So you’d have to find a way to install DJI Go 4 on that headset. Maybe that’s not a big deal IDK

I'm thinking the same - for any form of control over the Mav to be established there would have to be an interface, like a device driver on a computer,

The Pimax wouldn't have the ability to use a software like that, it's just a specialized video player so, ...

Looks like I'm gonna have to get the DJI Goggles for my immersive Flying, poor FOV, though

Cheers for the discussion, bro, helped me put it into better perspective

Reactions: brett8883
I'm thinking the same - for any form of control over the Mav to be established there would have to be an interface, like a device driver on a computer,

The Pimax wouldn't have the ability to use a software like that, it's just a specialized video player so, ...

Looks like I'm gonna have to get the DJI Goggles for my immersive Flying, poor FOV, though

Cheers for the discussion, bro, helped me put it into better perspective
No problem, happy to help

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR