DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Someone Figure out Why Mavic 2 'Waypoint' PANS are AWAYS JERKY???

Rockowe

Reactions
This happens in Litchi and Waypoints 2.0.
his Jerky Unnatural Panning Behavior - ...
… and it ONLY seems like it happens on MAVIC 2.

The footage Unusable - It seems like its Panning in steps !

The same plan (Session) with Litchi Works fine on M1P (in fact Beautifully)
… DJIgo4 shows a smilar issue - … when Panning whilst moving - or interpolating from one heading to another (in Waypoints)

Anyone have a Clue ?

See my Latest Nightflight Vid of Today (Would be awesome except for the Pans)

Please feel free to let DJI know that it is not acceptable that their newest PRO drone is the only DJI bird with this defect.

Please feel free to let DJI know that it is not acceptable that their newest PRO drone is the only DJI bird with this defect.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve done that several times with no response except that they will look into it…

What are your video settings and processing if any? Looks like it could be dropped frames

Yeah that's a Thought - - and it looks that Way (dropped Frames)
- Would a Pan to the Left or right would require a REDRAW of the frame - as apposed to an Up down?

… But some Basics suggest that its Just the Left right turn - and positioning the Camera to deal with it - almost like its rounding off integers - (now theres a thought - maybe some bad math)

>> Heres Why-
* My CARD is Super Quick (write speed)
* It happens in 4K or 1920 (~ my favourite for zooming 4x) - Just as severely as each other - if there was a write problem 4K would be worse than 1024. But they JERK equally
* Although this was a Night Shoot, the Day shoots - do the same thing... Equally
* It does not happen when Manually turning - Even at High speed - … ONLY in the MISSIONS (waypoints 2.0 or Litchi)

…. My gut feel is that its software related - alternatively a Heat Issue during a TURN(drone rotation) and PAN at the same Moment …
Someone previously mentioned Line skipping and so forth - … because of a Heat problem (like an Overload) - maybe Someone - can weigh in here...

Maybe the squeaky wheel approach will help.
Maybe there need to be a series of Youtube and Vimeo postings showing the poor results with comments from users of this site to give added weight to the complaints and concerns. Maybe enough "bad" press could get their attention. Titles like: "DJI Mavic 2 has very poor results in Waypoint missions!"

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve done that several times with no response except that they will look into it…

I Just Did - on that forum … Lets see if they Notice-
But this seems to be a Very VERY old and sustained problem - to as much as a Year ago - when People on Litchi were blaming Litchi -
This has definitely got to do with software or Firmware on the actual M2 Machine - Because it appears that 'Manual- Flight' works fine in the moving Pan (ie left stick Left PLUS right stick right) OR (Both towards each other) - when recording

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
This happens in Litchi and Waypoints 2.0.
his Jerky Unnatural Panning Behavior - ...
… and it ONLY seems like it happens on MAVIC 2.

The footage Unusable - It seems like its Panning in steps !

The same plan (Session) with Litchi Works fine on M1P (in fact Beautifully)
… DJIgo4 shows a smilar issue - … when Panning whilst moving - or interpolating from one heading to another (in Waypoints)

Anyone have a Clue ?

See my Latest Nightflight Vid of Today (Would be awesome except for the Pans)
Do you have gimbal synchronized follow turned on or off? Is this automatic pans or are you doing this manually?

This issue is enough reason to me not to buy a Mavic 2 since I'm using quite exclusively Litchi's waypoint missions when filming. Maybe if many potential customers tell the same thing to DJI, they will fix it in the next future ?

Reactions: parkgt
I also have noticed this with my M2P. I sold my MA and it performed much smoother when panning with Litchi. Sometimes I wish I had kept the MA for backup considering what I sold it for.

This is a well known problem with the Mavic 2 series that DJI has chosen to ignore. The only workaround I have found is to use Davinci Resolve's "stabilizer" feature. I haven't tried any other video editors' stabilizing features, but I imagine they will work as well. It's certainly not a fix, but it can turn most of that useless jerky footage into something usable (most of the time).

Does the jerkiness in Waypoints only occur when you have the gimbal set to change pitch in the flight plan, or does it happen even when you have manual control of the gimbal?

Does the jerkiness in Waypoints only occur when you have the gimbal set to change pitch in the flight plan, or does it happen even when you have manual control of the gimbal?

Manual control of curves are smooth. It’s only curves in missions that are jerky.

This issue is enough reason to me not to buy a Mavic 2 since I'm using quite exclusively Litchi's waypoint missions when filming. Maybe if many potential customers tell the same thing to DJI, they will fix it in the next future ?

I agree that this drone is not a good choice for someone that really needs smooth footage from Waypoint missions in either Litchi or DJ WP 2.

Pretty pathetic that a 4 year old 3DR Solo can out Waypoint this "Pro" bird fron DJI.

Reactions: Bill Ludwig
Manual control of curves are smooth. It’s only curves in missions that are jerky.
That's not what I was asking. In WAYPOINTS - if you have manual control of the gimbal - when set to curves, is panning jerky?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143