DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can someone help me how this happens?

vncntybnz

Reactions
I lost control on my mavic air.
I got full batteries on both aircraft and controller as well as my iphone. Weather is clear and not windy. Airmap app says I'm clear to fly and no interference. Line of sight and can still see my drone hovering. And it suddenly fly away. Got lucky it didnt hit the trees. Can someone help how to fix this? I appreciate it. Im scared to fly now.

Attachments

• 33DAE2F4-51DD-483E-97E8-060C968AFED9.png
    33DAE2F4-51DD-483E-97E8-060C968AFED9.png
    818.6 KB · Views: 97
I lost control on my mavic air.
I got full batteries on both aircraft and controller as well as my iphone. Weather is clear and not windy. Airmap app says I'm clear to fly and no interference. Line of sight and can still see my drone hovering. And it suddenly fly away. Got lucky it didnt hit the trees. Can someone help how to fix this? I appreciate it. Im scared to fly now.
As usual, flight data is needed to be able to provide useful comment.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Also it might be helpful if you can describe your launch spot.

Oh I'm sorry, here is my flight log. It starts going away on it's own around 0:58 - 1:20
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
I'm sorry ... it's difficult to interpret your flight data because you aren't using Mode 2 controls and trying to work out what joystick controls do what is confusing.
I have a suspicion that the issue is a small yaw error situation caused by your choice of launch spot, because of the curved flight and your description, but I can't confirm that.
It would also be helpful if you could describe your launch spot.
The flight data doesn't even tell where it was because you started flying before you had GPS and could record a launch point.

Perhaps @Slip can tell you more .. he likes a challenge.

Reactions: rcookie
The stick mode used is 1 (left/right stick forward & backwards is shifted ... so throttle & elevator shifted but rudder & aileron remains as mode 2).

But yeah ... we see a yaw error, pretty easy to see now when we have the video.

The AC is pointing towards the center of the Garden circle in the vid. just before the flyaway starts ...
1599720289070.png

But the log shows that the imuYaw is about 90 degrees wrong (Green bar shows yaw angle) ...
1599720776549.png

So once up there on height at 53sec into the flight, when wind starts to affect the AC & it needs to apply thrust to maintain position it does it with the wrong motors due to not knowing the true aircraft heading ... loosing position even more, tries again ... all this in a lightning speed & in each try the positional error just becomes larger & the flyaway is a fact.

The interesting here is that the AC seems to get everything right after that the circular flyaway have made a half lap at 72sec ...

Here the imuYaw in the log shows this ...
1599721564621.png

And the vid. this ... which is in agreement with the imuYaw.
1599721784136.png

In order to pinpoint the reasons for the initial yaw error & the later correction, the mobile device .DAT log is needed. The correct log ends with FLY051.DAT & you find it in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs. Attach that in a new post here & we can dig a bit deeper.

The stick mode used is 1 (left/right stick forward & backwards is shifted ... so throttle & elevator shifted but rudder & aileron remains as mode 2).

But yeah ... we see a yaw error, pretty easy to see now when we have the video.

The AC is pointing towards the center of the Garden circle in the vid. just before the flyaway starts ...
View attachment 112755

But the log shows that the imuYaw is about 90 degrees wrong (Green bar shows yaw angle) ...
View attachment 112756

So once up there on height at 53sec into the flight, when wind starts to affect the AC & it needs to apply thrust to maintain position it does it with the wrong motors due to not knowing the true aircraft heading ... loosing position even more, tries again ... all this in a lightning speed & in each try the positional error just becomes larger & the flyaway is a fact.

The interesting here is that the AC seems to get everything right after that the circular flyaway have made a half lap at 72sec ...

Here the imuYaw in the log shows this ...
View attachment 112757

And the vid. this ... which is in agreement with the imuYaw.
View attachment 112758

In order to pinpoint the reasons for the initial yaw error & the later correction, the mobile device .DAT log is needed. The correct log ends with FLY051.DAT & you find it in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs. Attach that in a new post here & we can dig a bit deeper.

WOW!!! That's so amazing how you see everything! Thank you so much and I appreciate you looking into my AC issue. I have attached my DAT file in case you need more info. I wish I know how to read all these ? Thanks so so much again!

Attachments

• 2020-09-05_11-17-41_FLY051.DAT
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
WOW!!! That's so amazing how you see everything! Thank you so much and I appreciate you looking into my AC issue.
I don't mean to nag but is there any chance you could describe your launch spot.
What was the surface you launched from?

Reactions: Yorlik
Hi, yeah, I launched my mavic in an unpaved pathway with a little rocks below it. I don't have a launch pad. ?
Since the issue is one of the compass being deflected at the initialisation stage, I was wondering what steel items might have been close by.
Anything in the case?
Was the case on reinforced concrete or was there any steel object near?

Since the issue is one of the compass being deflected at the initialisation stage, I was wondering what steel items might have been close by.
Anything in the case?
Was the case on reinforced concrete or was there any steel object near?
All I can think of is the metal light pole in front of me. Actually, this is the second time. The first one was I launched it in front of our garage and an open area no obstruction around and it suddenly did a little loop (like in the video) and it's scary coz it goes by itself. :(

All I can think of is the metal light pole in front of me. Actually, this is the second time. The first one was I launched it in front of our garage and an open area no obstruction around and it suddenly did a little loop (like in the video) and it's scary coz it goes by itself. :(
In front of your garage ... was it a reinforced concrete surface?
That's the most common source of yaw errors.

In front of your garage ... was it a reinforced concrete surface?
That's the most common source of yaw errors.
It's a reinforced concrete. I think you are right on that. I flew it everywhere except and it was fine except launching in reinforced concrete.

Im replying cause i want to see Slurp's response, haha. Me being a newbie, would doing a calibration for Compass and IMUI help prevent this?

Im replying cause i want to see Slurp's response, haha. Me being a newbie, would doing a calibration for Compass and IMUI help prevent this?
No
Recalibrating your compass cannot ever help overcome any magnetic issues that are outside the drone.
And the IMU is working properly.
Not launching from a magnetically compromised location is the only way to avoid this.

Reactions: vncntybnz

You don't have to....just click the "Watch" button top right:

Watch.jpeg

No
Recalibrating your compass cannot ever help overcome any magnetic issues that are outside the drone.
And the IMU is working properly.
Not launching from a magnetically compromised location is the only way to avoid this.

ok, but! if you did a IMU calibration where he took off, wouldn't it come up with Magnetic interference there?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242