DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can someone use my FAA number if I forgot to remove it from a returned drone?

Skyryder

Reactions
Long story short, I got a Mini 2 about a month ago, decided to register in even though not required just for peace of mind in case some ranger asked. Decided to return it and wait for the Mini 3. Looking back, I think I may have left my contact phone number and FAA number on the side. It was late that night I packed it up and forgot to check. I unlisted it from the Drone Zone site, but will I still get in trouble if someone leaves it on there and does something stupid with it?

Regarding use by another person, whilst having the number on the drone might allow a usurper to pass a superficial check it would surely fail and proper ID check against a data base.

HOWEVER, if the drone were flown with the details onboard and crashed etc. and subequently brought to the attention of the authorities, guess who gets the first knock on the door?
Can you ask the FAA for a new number and ask them to record the fact that the drone was returned and may have your 'old' details on it?
That said if they were obvious the retailer may remove them during any inspection.

There is a feature on the FAA website I was able to take the drone out of service so to speak, a drop down list didn't have an option for returns but it did have one for being sold. But the info is still linked to you. So if they dont bother to check, you are right that a knock on the door might be from the FAA. Plus, who's to say I just went there and unlisted it but still kept it? For all they know I just didn't want to be linked to it if there was a crash. There was no date to mark when it's being unregistered.

Do you have correspondence with the seller concerning the return and/or a bank statement showing a refund etc.?

Just keep your shipping/tracking information and IF (very highly UNLIKLY) there are any questions you have your paper trail "just in case". It's not something I would worry about though.

Reactions: maggior
There are several websites that pass themselves off as FAA sites I don't advise using them.
Just go to the official FAA drone zone and cancel the registration. You have a dashboard that shows the status of your drones. Super easy!

I don't know about elsewhere but on ebay UK a surprising number of people, selling their drone, use photos showing their CAA details. :-(
Not wise I think.

I just double checked, The FAA Drone Zone now shows a date that I "sold" the drone. I actually returned it but that was not an option in their drop down list. They had "other" but that comes across as sketchy to me. Besides, nothing wrong with it, will actually be resold by however they deal with returns. Maybe DJI's Ebay refurbished site I guess.

However,, I am not holding my breath that someone will actually inspect it carefully and remove stickers. The store just peaked into the bag to see if it was there, didn't even bother to take it out.

I wish there was a way to start out fresh with a new FAA number.

Just keep your shipping/tracking information and IF (very highly UNLIKLY) there are any questions you have your paper trail "just in case". It's not something I would worry about though.
Thanks for the tip about keeping a paper trail. I was thinking about doing that with the return recipt and keeping a copy with other docs in a small folder in my flight bag. Maybe overkill but better safe than sorry.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143