DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can we insure these drones in case one is lost or stolen?

If you're flying as a hobbyist, State Farm might be an option for you (depending on where you live).

You can check out more details about State Farm insurance here. A list of commonly used State Farm agents can be found here.

Reactions: BD0G
I've tried my local State Farm agents. They will not issue a Personal Articles unless you have other insurance with them. I also tried one agent from the list linked to above that stated no other insurance was necessary. They said yes at first, then no after talking to the boss. I don't think they'll continue insuring drones much longer. It's too easy for them to lose money, and you risk other pitfalls if you make a claim. If it was profitable to insure $800-$1000 drones for $60 on a stand-alone policy then everyone would be doing it.

I've tried my local State Farm agents. They will not issue a Personal Articles unless you have other insurance with them. I also tried one agent from the list linked to above that stated no other insurance was necessary. They said yes at first, then no after talking to the boss. I don't think they'll continue insuring drones much longer. It's too easy for them to lose money, and you risk other pitfalls if you make a claim. If it was profitable to insure $800-$1000 drones for $60 on a stand-alone policy then everyone would be doing it.
Your incorrect. I am 20 years old and my family nor I have ever been associated with State Farm.

They insured my drone within 15 minutes of talking over the phone (24 hrs to receive email)

If you're flying as a hobbyist, State Farm might be an option for you (depending on where you live).

You can check out more details about State Farm insurance here. A list of commonly used State Farm agents can be found here.
Wait, if your a commercial pilot they won't insure your drone? What if you insure it as a hobbyist and get your license?

Wait, if your a commercial pilot they won't insure your drone? What if you insure it as a hobbyist and get your license?

The act of getting a commercial license doesn't make every flight commercial. You choose whether you are flying under 336 or 107 for each flight. If you crash during a commercial flight, presumably State Farm would not pay out.

Your incorrect. I am 20 years old and my family nor I have ever been associated with State Farm.

They insured my drone within 15 minutes of talking over the phone (24 hrs to receive email)
My statement is not incorrect. It simply states what happened when I contacted my three nearest agents, including one on the referenced spread sheet that was supposed to insure without any prior policies with them. I never said that State Farm stopped insuring drones.

I also tried one agent from the list linked to above that stated no other insurance was necessary. They said yes at first, then no after talking to the boss. I don't think they'll continue insuring drones much longer. It's too easy for them to lose money, and you risk other pitfalls if you make a claim.
I suspect that you actually spoke to an assistant in the office and then the agent said no. I also suspect that some agents won't wrote just the Personal Article Policy as there is little to no commission on $60 and they need to do some work. They would rather collect a large commission on another policy before they will take the time to do anything with a smaller policy. Other agents know if they write a small policy, the person might eventually go to them with more business.

My statement is not incorrect. It simply states what happened when I contacted my three nearest agents, including one on the referenced spread sheet that was supposed to insure without any prior policies with them. I never said that State Farm stopped insuring drones.
You make an excellent point! When I first read it I thought you meant that applied to all state farm agents.

I have talked to 3 different State Farm agents in the last 2 days. 2 on the list. All 3 have told me that as of Jan 1 this year they can only insure if you have other insurance with them.

UPDATE: I called another agent and now have insurance on both my Mavic Pro and my PH3 A for $60 for a year 0 deductible covers anything that happens to them

Last edited:
I have State Farm insurance. I also have my Harley insured with them as well.

I just left the State Farm office a 1/2 mile from my house [emoji106]. I got coverage for my MP, P4, and Inspire for $ 139 a year.
I’m actually switching a lot of stuff as I found out they’re almost half on my Motorhome, cabin, and my other house. The drone visit saved me s lot of money today money [emoji383].

I have talked to 3 different State Farm agents in the last 2 days. 2 on the list. All 3 have told me that as of Jan 1 this year they can only insure if you have other insurance with them.

I left just insuring the 3 drones... the Only policy I have with them, for now. I will be switching some things over soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada