DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you charge Mavic 2 battery with car jumper pack?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
After a long year in sequester we're about to go on our first vacation in a few weeks in Vermont. I plan on taking my M2P and also expect that I may find myself out in the super boonies with nothing but a rental car to draw electricity from if I want to recharge my M2's batteries. I do have two car charger's that I can plug into the lighter plug. I do have a fairly light weight but powerful car jumper (see photo below). I can see that I can charge my 5v appliances, but as the car chargers for my M2 need 12v juice, I was wondering if there is a way, if needed to use this brick to charge any M2 batteries with the car charger?

Thoughts?

1622771371792.png
1622771600394.png

That power bank would be handy to charge phone, controller, etc.
You'll need the 12v car charger to charge the batteries with the usual battery connection plug, or charger hub.

Be aware.
You might have power issues from the 12v system.
The chargers normally need 13.1v or something (assume the M2 charger has same needs as my M1P charger).

While the vehicle is running, and the alternator is charging the battery well over the required voltage, all is ok.
When the vehicle is turned off, the voltage will settle in maybe 10 to 20 minutes to around 12.7v or so, and this isn't enough to run my M1P charger, it sort of goes into a 50% cycle on / off, and never did charge a Mavic battery that way.

As I do lots of road trips, camping 4WDing, I made up a step converter plug to be able to do this off a 2nd batter in my rig, a thread post on that info here.

You might or might not need it.
Suggest, now do some day drives / flights to really see what your vehicle will do trying to charge via the car charger plug.

Edit PS. try and charge on the go anyway.
If you charge your MP2 batteries when stopped and the rental battery is a bit dodgy, it could let you down !

Thanks. To start I think I need to cannnibalize a plug for the output so I can measure the voltage on the jumper. If that measures out above 12v then I need to get a female lighter plug socket to wire in. Perhaps I should just trust that whatever car we're in will have sufficient charging power so I can travel lighter. this will be the first trip I'll be on where I'll have a drone with me.

Thanks for sharing!

Perhaps I should just trust that whatever car we're in will have sufficient charging power so I can travel lighter.

The power bank is likely to fail as it's output probably isn't enough for the drone battery charger but see below *.
Try before the trip.

The car outlet should cope ok with draw, though hard to say what power those giggy plugs actually put out.
When running at least there should be over the * 13.01v output for chargers, it should be written on the charger info label . . . mine's in the vehicle, but pretty sure the output states 13.01v.
(My mains here with me states 13.06v, so might be that too.)

If you charge while driving as often as possible, at least that should be ok.
After stopping it probably won't charge once voltage settles, but that's probably a good thing as you don't want to get the battery compromised and find yourself somewhere stranded with a flat car battery.

Enjoy the road trip and hope the power supply needs are ok.

Some of the Hantora chargers come with a cigarette lighter adapter so you can charge your batteries in the car. That's what I have.

Reactions: Thomas B
Some of the Hantora chargers come with a cigarette lighter adapter so you can charge your batteries in the car. That's what I have.
I have a Hanatora and the DJI from the FMC so have two chargers. What I don't know that will be available is the car.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S