DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada doesn't want you

paul242

Reactions
Canada no longer will allow recreational drone operation if you're not a Canadian Citizen or permanent Resident.

On the Canada Drone Safety Website
Foreign operators
If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

Please note, we are currently not accepting SFOC applications from visitors to Canada looking to fly recreationally. This change does not affect foreigners requesting a SFOC for commercial purposes. This temporary restriction will be re-evaluated in January 2021. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Reactions: Poison and E90RAW
I love their, We apologize for any inconvenience, comment. Considering Transport Canada charge you to take a recreational exam and charge you to register each drone, I'm surprised they don't just make people outside of Canada pay a $10 fee to fly here.

Reactions: Phill
Whoaaa now let’s not bring their syrup into this.
Kinda fond of it.?

I think bringing syrup into Canada is also only allowed by citizens :)
The way the US works, its not even PC to talk about benefits for actual citizens anymore.
The funny thing with drones is you really cannot enforce rules about them. The ones that get caught have to really do things rather obnoxious such as hover 15 feet above a wedding ceremony on a popular beach cliff.
Other than that, let the politicians have their fun, being all drone hip and so on. LOL

I'd agree that like most things, there are laws out there and the majority of people do break them to some extent, some of the time. I don't think that's the issue. If you do get caught doing something illegal, ignorance rarely gets you let off. Knowing and taking the risk of being caught is one thing. Not knowing and getting caught is something else.

Reactions: NashPhoto
I wanted to go to Canada next year... I'll change my mind!

Please take time to read and understand what you are reading "
Get permission to fly your drone outside the rules
It seems that if you fly recreationelly according to the current rules, your country authorisation is enough.

Reactions: BigAl07
Please take time to read and understand what you are reading "
Get permission to fly your drone outside the rules
It seems that if you fly recreationelly according to the current rules, your country authorisation is enough.

Go to the very bottom of the page that is highlighted:

Please note, we are currently not accepting SFOC applications from visitors to Canada looking to fly recreationally.

This eliminates anyone vacationing in Canada. Which as I said, is beyond dumb for them to do that.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Go to the very bottom of the page that is highlighted:

This eliminates anyone vacationing in Canada. Which as I said, is beyond dumb for them to do that.
This means that you can't ask authorization for flying recreationelly outside the rules. If you fly according to rules, no problem.

This means that you can't ask authorization for flying recreationelly outside the rules. If you fly according to rules, no problem.

But you can’t fly here without having yourself licensed and having the drone registered. So how can you fly according to rules if you don’t have those two pieces? (With drones over 250g)

say what? the OP's info says no forien recreational fliers in Canada. Who cares what your status in the US is?

While flying the mini (under 250g) will be ok, it's doesn't mean that you're scott free to fly it anywhere. You would still have to abide by the golden rule 900.06 ( ie fly it in a responsible and safe manner, away from people, auto's etc ) and of course, restricted airspace. Just because it's under 250g doesn't mean you can fly it at the end of the runway etc. I would bet that the reason this came into effect is that they (transport Canada) were likely overwhelmed by applications that they can't possibly deal with.... an unintended consequent of bad policy. Canada and the US share so much in trade and tourist traffic that I find it hard to believe that the FAA and transport Canada couldn't come up with some reciprocal agreement on rec drone flying. Ok, bureaucrats...maybe not so hard to believe....

Reactions: dronepilotbob
But you can’t fly here without having yourself licensed and having the drone registered. So how can you fly according to rules if you don’t have those two pieces? (With drones over 250g)
If your drone is registered in your country and have your drone pilot licence it is my understanding that you should be ok, just the same as any private plane pilot. For the past 12 months I have never been ask to show my permit and registration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilTone